Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sirghost

Cancelled
Jun 22, 2014
With talk of an iPhone 9, and an X and 11, one wonders if they'll bother with "10."
Honestly, no one on here knows, if you want to know, try asking Apple, though I doubt you will get an answer from them.

Six0Four

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2020
X = 10

Attachments

• RomanNumeralsChart1to100900x1000.jpg
    RomanNumeralsChart1to100900x1000.jpg
    433.1 KB · Views: 557

mag33

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2019
Son, if you don't know your roman numerals then either your education system failed you or you're not very smart.

There's also the option that you're being sarcastic, in which case great joke.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
With talk of an iPhone 9, and an X and 11, one wonders if they'll bother with "10."

Don’t worry about all the criticism. You’re probably like some consumers that referred to the iPhone X (As in ‘Ex’, because that’s how you interpreted it Versus seeing the number ‘10’ instead). It’s Just a general misunderstanding on your part, it’s not a big deal.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
He’s probably just confused why they would release a 9 right now. Apple jumped the gun a bit with the X, as the needed something revolutionary for their tenth anniversary phone. The 9 will take the place of the 8 in the retail space, and the 8 will be retired, if not the 8 then the 6S or 7 for sure.. or both.. The 8 will probably be a budget device now. This is all purely speculation on my part. I don’t have my finger on the pulse of anything.

Reactions: shamikpatel79

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Seriously, I don't get the mentality here. At times there's great knowledge shared here, and other times it's like a pack of jackals. C'mon folks, that's not what it's about, OP asked a simple question. He/she didn't get Apple's unusual naming scheme, that's all.

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
The OP’s question is not unreasonable. Apple are not offering iPhone models VIII or XI, now are they? But they do offer models 8 and 11, just as they offered models 4, 5, 6, and 7, so why would anyone not closely following the company assume X to be numeric?

Reactions: DevinNj

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Don’t worry about all the criticism. You’re probably like some consumers that referred to the iPhone X (As in ‘Ex’, because that’s how you interpreted it Versus seeing the number ‘10’ instead). It’s Just a general misunderstanding on your part, it’s not a big deal.
And Apple hasn’t helped at all. The X/Xs/Xr are the only iPhones to use a Roman numeral, while iphones before and since have used Arabic numerals. Moreover, the “s” and “r” in Xs and Xr are letters yet appear right next to what appears to be an X (“ex”) but should be understood to be a 10.

Apple’s iPhone naming has long made no sense. “3g” was used years ago to note a new wireless tech, but no there was no “4g” or “lte” in the iPhone 5, not is the 12 rumored to include a reference to 5g. Sometimes the big ones are Plus and sometimes they’re Max. And “SE” stands for “special edition,” but just an “s” stands for “speed” (or at least that was the explanation for the 3GS; now who knows.). It’s utterly needlessly complicated.

Last edited:

_karrol

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2017
Wien, Österreich
And Apple hasn’t helped at all. The X/Xs/Xr are the only iPhones to use a Roman numeral, while iphones before and since have used Arabic numerals. Moreover, the “s” and “r” in Xs and Xr are letters yet appear right next to what appears to be an X (“ex”) but should be understood to be a 10.

Apple’s iPhone naming has long made no sense. “3g” was used years ago to note a new wireless tech, but no there was no “4g” or “lte” in the iPhone 5, not is the 12 rumored to include a reference to 5g. Sometimes the big ones are Plus and sometimes they’re Max. And “SE” stands for “special edition,” but just an “s” stands for “speed” (or at least that was the explanation for the 3GS; now who knows.). It’s utterly needlessly complicated.

This is a valid point, also if we think about what happened between 3G and 5 - 3GS was the 3G with speed, this is fine, but then there was iPhone 4 - it was the fourth iPhone in general, but only the third all-new model, then 4S, which is again fine, but the iPhone 5 was the sixth iPhone in general and the fourth all-new model... These discrepancies go of course further. The use of Roman number in X would make more sense to me, if they came back to 10s and 10r - thus, the X would really be a one-off marking the start of a new 'era' for the iPhone and also underlining the 10th anniversary.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014

I guess it will be called the iPhone SE, but why "iPhone 9" would also make sense. It's an improved iPhone 8, but still behind the technology of the iPhone X (10), because it's still LCD, has bezels and Touch ID. No all-screen OLED with Face ID. So iPhone 9. More than the iPhone 8, but less than the iPhone X and successors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.