Are they in two places? How do i check?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by marine610610, Jan 21, 2008.

1. marine610610 macrumors regular

Recently i ripped some documentaries i had on DVD to my MBP. Then i converted them to MP4's. Good so far. When i went to put them on my IPT i found i had to import them into iTunes first. So i dragged the mp4's into the iTunes movie section. At the top it said "copying" and it took a minute to do. My question is, do i now have the mp4's in two places? HDD space is valuable to me, id like to know so i can delete the second copy. Thanks ahead of time.

2. BassistKing1 macrumors member

check in ur itunes folder (which is usually somewhere in my documents, then music, or else wherever u have ur library)

3. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

yes, they are now in two places. the same thing happens to me when i use handbrake to rip a dvd. handbrake places the file on my desktop, then i import it into itunes. after i import it into itunes, i delete the copy that's on my desktop. then i usually find that i need to convert the file within itunes using the "convert selection for ipod/iphone" menu option as well (not sure why the handbrake rip doesn't work immediately), and that creates *another* version of the file, and i delete the old one within itunes when the conversion is complete...

4. xXriderXx7 macrumors 6502a

xXriderXx7

There is an option in iTunes which allows for iTunes to copy any files added into it to be copied to the iTunes Music Folder.

Thereby, creating a duplicate file.
    The easiest way is for you to direct the conversion program to the desktop, then copy to iTunes, then delete the desktop version.

5. marine610610 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks fellas. Im going to go ahead and delete the desktop copies.