Are they really redesigning the 13 inch MacBook Pro? :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dharma-P, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Dharma-P macrumors newbie

Dharma-P

I just bought the 13 inch Pro like a few months ago and now people are saying there's going to be a complete redesign, I'm kinda sad right now :-(...

2. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

They won't make you turn yours in - lol
    You'll be able to enjoy yours for as long as you want!

Does it matter if you have the latest design?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why? is your computer any less functional? Relax and enjoy what you have, why get worked up over rumors. When Apple does redesign their laptops, so what, change is inevitable so why get worked up over.

4. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

I'm looking on the bright side; a great excuse to trade mine in and get an even newer one!

5. Dharma-P thread starter macrumors newbie

Dharma-P

But that's so expensive given the low trade in rates...
    --- Post Merged, Feb 23, 2019 ---
    Well because a huge redesign is very annoying for me because I just bought a brand new MacBook which is going to become 'old-design' very fast...

6. jerryk, Feb 23, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2019

jerryk macrumors 601

Everything becomes an old design sooner or later. Imagine you bought a $50,000 or $100,000 car and they came out with a new model the next that was a completely redesign. This will be happening to a lot of people soon as cars switch over to electricity.

7. turbineseaplane macrumors 601

turbineseaplane

You aren't honestly this concerned with having "the newest design" are you?
    I mean no offense, but that seems like a pretty silly vanity level..

Didn't you buy the computer to accomplish tasks, get work done, have fun with it, etc?
    Does it matter that "others know you have the latest one"?

8. triangletechie macrumors 6502

Does anyone think there's a chance they only come out with a new 16" redesign this year and skip the 13" model? They tease it at WWDC, release it "later this year" and then wait and provide 13" models next year?

Kuo's report only specifically mentioned the larger size redesign and I think said 13" MBPs could get 32 GB of RAM. It would be an Apple thing to do. Put the spotlight on the large redesign to get more sales, and then next year we get all new 13" redesigns.

I just bought a new 2018 13" MBP a few days ago and I won't be returning it unless I run into the bridge OS crash or the keyboard craps out within the 14 day return window.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 23, 2019 ---
    Agreed. For all we know, the new design might have some kind of annoying issue that is discovered. I know the 2018 models have some flaky issues that are well documented on here, but it is year 3 of that design and most bugs should be worked out. I'm not sure I would want to spend $2000+ on a rev 1 design.

9. casperes1996 macrumors 68040

casperes1996

Here's a quote for you.

"Second, being in technology for 30 years I can attest to the fact that the technology road is bumpy. There is always change and improvement, and there is always someone who bought a product before a particular cutoff date and misses the new price or the new operating system or the new whatever. This is life in the technology lane. If you always wait for the next price cut or to buy the new improved model, you'll never buy any technology product because there is always something better and less expensive on the horizon. The good news is that if you buy products from companies that support them well, like Apple tries to do, you will receive years of useful and satisfying service from them even as newer models are introduced."
    -Steve Jobs
    In an open letter about massive iPhone price drops

10. pshufd macrumors 65816

If you want a sad story: I bought a 2011 17 inch MBP and loved it. And it died three weeks later and I found out here that it has known problems. So I was bummed. And then went out and bought a 2015. And it's great. And someday, I'll buy a newer one and hope that it will be great.

Enjoy what you have now as it really doesn't help to be disappointed every year when a new model comes out. I used my 2008 MBP until the screen died in summer 2018. I still enjoyed using it.

11. BigMcGuire Contributor

Posts like this make me really wonder about the world...

That said, I bought my 2017 MBP 13' TB a month or two before the 2018 MBPs came out. I have to admit I got a little worried when I heard 2TB SSD and 32GB of ram. Then I found out how expensive the 2TB was and how the 32 was only for the 15'. I also saw all the CPU issues people had... that said, I couldn't afford to get one anyway, but that little tinge of "wow my MBP that I saved up for years to buy is already ancient" was there.

Ahahaha.

I guess it is human nature. So I can't really say anything.

Loving my MBP 2017. Best computer I've owned in my life and I've only had it for ALMOST 10 months (wow). I am planning on keeping it till it dies (my first ever computer that I've actually wanted to do this on).

Plus, there's something about owning a quality piece of hardware that's got age to it. This MBP is sure aging very well.

12. baypharm macrumors 68000

baypharm

Don’t be sad....enjoy what you have now

13. runningman99 macrumors newbie

runningman99

Do you guys think that, if they do release a new 13” this year, it will be super expensive? I also just bought the 1799 13” model, and I would wait a few months more for a new one at the same price or cheaper, but not if it’s like 2,000+.

14. MengkeMary macrumors member

MengkeMary

I'm also on the market, thinking about replacing my 2015 13" Mbp. However, given the rumors of October refresh, I tend to hold out now. But I'm not sure about the 13" model. If only 16" model gets updated and the price is as high as $3,000, I cannot persuade myself to throw that much money into a laptop.

By the way, how is your 13" 2019 Mbp, especially the thermal? Do it get warm, or hot for day to day use?

15. Herrpod macrumors regular

Herrpod

The biggest issue I had when deciding to get a current MBP was resale value, which I’ve found to be low given the fear buyers appear to have about getting a malfunctioning keyboard. So I decided to get an iPad Pro instead and wait out the next iteration of MBPs. They can’t get worse. I hope.

16. leman macrumors G3

They have so released a redesigned Mac laptop every 4 years. Last redesign was 2016. That next redesign is just around the corner shouldn’t really be surprising.

17. chabig macrumors 603

So you’re not “that” sad.

18. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

Yes. The 13" refresh will be based on the design of the 16" model. Expect to see much thinner bezels & hopefully a reliable keyboard. I don't think much else will change, but the near bezel-less display will be the stand-out feature.

I think we will see a 16" MacBook Pro in October with a 13" refresh to follow in 2020.

19. eattherich macrumors 6502a

eattherich

There's a lot of good advice here already but I want to add something as well. I've been there, in the position you're in, and I've been frustrated about buying things and then newer versions coming out but do you know what that gets you? Nothing. The MacBook Pro you currently have was obviously one you wanted at some point and now you have it you don't fully enjoy it because you worry about it being old, based on a rumour about a new one coming along. As I said, I've been there and, to a certain degree, I'm still a little like this sometimes. That said, I've made a lot of progress with it and I can tell you now that worrying like this and being sad about an inanimate object eventually being the second-newest version available is not healthy. It's not worth it either.

The moment you realise that there will always be something newer around the corner is the moment you'll reduce so much unnecessary stress and anxiety in your life.

I see so many people missing out on what they have right now because they always want something else.

20. MengkeMary macrumors member

MengkeMary

Well said. I think a lot people hesitate now is not because of something new is just around the corner, but the fact that there are many issues out there with the current generation, such as the keyboard, the thermal, etc.

Possibly, the new generate will fix these. But nobody knows if there are new issues there that are as annoying as the current ones.

21. chabig macrumors 603

I find it so strange that people fret over technology purchases in ways that they don’t with cars, for example.

22. eattherich macrumors 6502a

eattherich

That's an interesting one. I think people who are prone to worrying about this stuff will probably worry the same with a car as they do with a laptop. The only difference is that most people can't really do anything about the car thing unless they have a load of money to burn and are okay with the hassle. With a laptop, though, it's much easier to keep upgrading and taking small hits year over year.

The thing with all of this is that it'll never end. You'll get yourself in a constant upgrade cycle where you're never truly enjoying what you have due to worrying that it'll soon not be good enough. This craving to have the newest and best is something so many people have. As I said in my previous message, I was like this at some point but I'm better about it now. My wife is a great inspiration to me when it comes to this kind of thing. I bought her a 12" MacBook for Christmas the year they were released. It's a couple of years old now and there's so much better but she absolutely loves it and wouldn't consider changing it. The same goes for her iPad; she bought the 9.7" last year when they went down in price and she loves it. She doesn't care about what the other models have or what future models might have; her devices do what she needs and she truly does appreciate having them.

Anyway, I'm getting a little off topic but I thought it might be worth sharing. :)