Are they still manufacturing the plastic books?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by puffnstuff, Oct 16, 2008.

1. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

2. months macrumors member

No pretty sure they are producing them because they have improved things like LED screens now and more... I forget though what else.

3. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Yes, they are still producing them. They didn't have Superdrives in the 2.1 models before.

4. puffnstuff thread starter macrumors 65816

I looked on the Apple site up and down no where does it mention that anything about an LED. Can you please post a link?

If it does have a new screen then I guess they are still producing them but from the specs the only new feature is the super drive. They could be taking out the combo drives in the left overs and shoving super drives in them.

5. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

That's what they are doing, there are no LED screens.

6. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

yes they are different,,, (but only slightly ... kinda like the new 17" MBP)

7. puffnstuff thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh, ok thats what I was wondering. So once they are done with all the old macbooks what will be put in the $999 slot? I guess nobody can possibly know the answer though.

8. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

Attached Files:

9. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

That's for the new aluminum MacBooks... Not the "new" plastic ones. I bet Apple is replacing the combo drive with a super drive on all of there overstock as well as manufacturing them with the super drive to keep something in the $999 slot.

10. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

My dream MacBook would be a Blackbook with the new nvidia graphics and an LED matte screen. Now that would be a sexy Mac. :apple:

11. puffnstuff thread starter macrumors 65816

That would not be evironmentaly friendly if the continued to make them. Don't they have this new thing where they are trying to be environmentaly friendly. That's probably why they are selling the overstock instead of discarding them.

But once it's all gone they cannot start the Macbook line up at 1299 that would be going waaaaaaaay back in time in regards to pricing.

12. dinaluvsApple macrumors regular

youll find alot of plastic macbook in clearance section.

13. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

They are still manufacturing them. They aren't just overstock ones.

14. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

I think they are overstocked on the white one cause no one bought the white one's and they will sell them till they have no more and then that will be that, the alum will be the only MB available. Wait and see.

15. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Last quarter they sold more white Macbooks than any other time. Plus Jobs said they will have them in the near future. Then again we all know Jobs is a liar, so maybe you are right.

16. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

no one bought the white ones? ... umm, seriously?
    if anything, the black one was a rip off, playing $200 more for a bigger HDD and a black case.

17. anish3232 macrumors member

My guess they probably stripped all the OLD (not opened White Macbooks) and just replaced some of the parts inside.

18. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The $999 white ones that have the super drive are in fact new.

You can get a killer deal on the overstocked models though. My local Apple store was selling the outgoing $1999 pro for $1599.

19. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

i got it for $1350

20. strobeable macrumors newbie

strobeable

My first post here on MacRumors: Eat 'em up!

The old "low-end" Macbook Pro is going for the same price as the new high-end Macbook Aluminum with the Educational Discount. A steal for some? :confused:
    My best guess would be yeah. That is, if people are gonna die without firewire, right? <no sarcasm>

21. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Aha, but the real question is - are they still producing the plastic shells? I doubt that they are.

22. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I was just actually thinking that. They are probably going to use up all of the casing shells, then bring on the new aluminum casing for the $999 model and probably raise the cost to $1099.

I would expect a silent change later on down the line.

23. puffnstuff thread starter macrumors 65816

That could be it. From what I read about the 17inch mbp those didn't sell well so they are selling what's left and killing it.

This is an interesting move for Apple. I have never seen them sell overstock outside of the refurb section.

I think maybe when all of the white mbs are gone they will drop the price $200 off of the aluminum ones. That would piss a lot of people off but then again Apple has been doing that a lot lately.

24. johnsy macrumors 6502

They had no choice, but to leave old macbook as an option. Otherwise people will be angry- they decided to charge more while they advertised that they will sell for less!

25. timestoby macrumors 6502

did anyone of you watch the keynote,they said that they are still selling and will continue to sell them for a long time,wotever that means. its around the 38 min mark that they say that lol.