Are those add-on lens really useful?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by hajime, Mar 10, 2016.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hi, I am considering the wide lens from Moment. Any users find them useful?

2. GalFieri macrumors regular

GalFieri

I don't own one, but a friend does and she let me try it out. The tele lens is pretty great, though you're gonna want to be really into iPhone photography if you're gonna drop the hundred or whatever on either of them.

3. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

For those who don't want to install the lens directly at the back of the iPhone 6s+, they have cases. Anybody tried those cases?

4. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

I did get to try these. They really do work. I just posted something on wide angle lenses.

5. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks. Do people usually get both Wide and Tele lens? Is it advisable to buy the Moment Case and Lens Pen as well?

6. GalFieri macrumors regular

GalFieri

That depends on what your needs, right? What kind of shots do you want to take?

7. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

It's all depends.

8. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

For example, object of size width =60cm, depth = 70cm, h = 80cm. Due to space limitation, the distance between my iPhone 6s+ and the nearest frontal plan is about 30-40cm. Currently the vertical edge of the wall behind the object is distorted/tilted.

9. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I have the clip-on lenses: wide angle, distance, and macro. I also have a clip-on telescopic lens. I find them all very useful, and much more sensible than the kind that require their own case.

I use the macro a LOT. The telescopic lens comes in handy when I'm traveling. I've gotten some nice pics of birds with it.

10. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

What brand is it? I also am not keen on lenses that need a special case.

11. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

No brand. Cheap from China (aliexpress). I've seen similar at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. IIRC, they're under $20.

12. hajime thread starter macrumors 68030

Do you recommend paying for the case rather than using the free mounting plate?

13. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502

satinsilverem2

I have the Olloclip Active and love it. I was at a place over Christmas that didn't allow SLR cameras for some reason so I grabbed my Olloclip and it made a huge difference over just the stock iPhone lens. The only thing that I don't like about it is that you either have to remove your case from the phone to use the lens or you have to buy one of their comparable cases to use with it.

14. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

I did a review on the mPow clip on wide angle lenses. It's somewhere around these threads. Personally, I would prefer the clip on style so you don't have to keep switching cases. The mPow ones also seem to work with cases such as the Spigen Slim Armor (it worked on the Galaxy S4 I tried it on. I figure it would be similar on iPhones). It also worked on mine but I use the Caudabe Sheath with is minimal.