Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applemax

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
Hi

I'm thinking of getting an external drive for Leopard for a PowerMac G5 with a 250GB internal HD. Ideally, I want to properly backup the internal HD and then do a Time Machine on the other half. Is this possible cos I heard that TM backups aren't bootable. Any advice on brands or disk size? Thanks

xappeal

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2005
Brisbane - Australia
This can be done, I have my MacBook backed up on one partition and data on my other.

the second backup might be a waste of space though, you can totally restore from time machines backup.

applemax

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 22, 2005
This can be done, I have my MacBook backed up on one partition and data on my other.

the second backup might be a waste of space though, you can totally restore from time machines backup.

100% sure on that - that TM backup is *bootable from*?

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Yes, you can partition a drive that you use with Time Machine. You can use the non-time machine partition for a bootable backup if you with (hold down option/alt on boot and your mac will give you a choice of partitions to boot from).

number9

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2004
USA
You most certainly can partition a Time Machine HD. I just got an Iomega 500GB minimax external (I wanted the storage and the USB/FW hub) and I was able to partition 30GB for a base Tiger install I had cloned on a different borrowed external I used as a back up when I installed leopard.

The only problem I've run into is that when rebooting from the new Tiger partition on the iomega/time machine external, it hangs at the Apple screen during start up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.