Are torrented Windows 8 .iso files bad?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by galaksy, May 29, 2014.

1. galaksy macrumors 6502

I heard that there are trojans and viruses. Is that true even if you run an anti-virus software?

2. SVTmaniac macrumors 6502

It's easy to get a legit Windows 8 iso from Microsoft without having to torrent it. You just have to use a generic key which you can find all over Google. Once you download and install it, you'll have 30 days before you have to activate it with a real Key that you can purchase from Microsoft.

----------

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows-8/f/download-windows-8.htm

3. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

Completely depends on the source.

Most of the time, if it says it's an OEM image it's fine. You have your own key and you'll be fine. I've downloaded OEM Windows 7 ISO's in the past to reinstall the OS on many PC's.

However, the hacked up, preactivated ISO's can be malicous. And illegal as well.

Sometimes you can get the ISO directly from Microsoft, or from their servers. I did this with Windows 7. Not sure about 8 though.

My question is why do you need one? Do you have a legitimate Windows 8 COA? Also, IMO, Windows 8 is a total pain, thus why I keep using 7 on all our PC's where I work. I have volume licensing for it :D

4. Abacus2039 macrumors newbie

Download the ISO you want from Microsoft's archive at Digital River. Why bother with a Torrent?

If it's the Product Key you mean, good luck with that. Most torrentz come with hinkey key gens guaranteed to ruin your day.

As was posted above, if you're really too tight fisted to buy a genuine, worry free license, Google is your friend. It's just a question of how much faffing around is involved and how much your time is worth.

5. friedkimchi macrumors regular

friedkimchi

That's why after I dl such iso files, I test them in VMware...

Haven't tried Win 8 as i prefer Win 7.

Win 8 = Win Vista
    Win 7 = Win XP

Just my opinion.