Are trackpad covers ever useful?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by uberamd, Sep 11, 2010.

1. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I absolutely HATE trackpad oil/wear. I have used many pre-unibody MacBook Pro's (and other laptop models) that have worn trackpads that make tracking VERY hard. But these new trackpads are apparently wear resistant.

I have a Moshi cover on the trackpad, but I'm wondering if its even useful. Since the unibody systems have been out for a long time, can anyone report back on trackpad wear. Are the glass trackpads really as good as Apple claims, and thus no wear? I have had a unibody system for a year but it has always had a trackpad cover, and if possible I would like to do away with it as it makes tap-clicking a bit hard.

Thanks MR folks!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I would think the glass trackpad is just like using an iPhone or iPod Touch. They just don't wear out.

3. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I agree. I had a cover on my trackpad for a while, until I removed it about 2 months ago. I use it very frequently. No wear yet ;)

4. Hunter5117 macrumors newbie

I have very rough dry skin and I can shine up a keyboard or normal trackpad in a few hours of use. I now use the Moshi protectors on all my keyboards and trackpads and find them very useful. I had a unibody MBP that was developing a shiny spot on the trackpad where I clicked a lot after a little over a month before I first started using the Moshi products. (no affiliation).

5. uberamd thread starter macrumors 68030

uberamd

Bah, conflicting info! Some say the glass doesn't wear, you're saying it did. I like keeping my electronics in perfect condition thus the reason I'm asking this question. I tend to cycle my laptops every 1-2 years so a perfect condition system carries a lot of resale value and is very important.

6. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

After 1.5 year and 10hours of use daily with no protecting cover whatsoever I had to replace my trackpad only because humidity got trapped under it. See I have very sweaty hands because of hypothyroidism. They handed me the used trackpad when I picked it up from the service and I couldn't tell it was used.

7. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I had a 13" MBP for almost a year and no trackpad wear and neither has my 15" i5 which I've had for 3 months now. All this is due to the glass trackpad. OP, Apple even advertises that the glass trackpad is wear resistant so don't worry about it. Just use it as you would any trackpad.

8. Hunter5117 macrumors newbie

Same for me. Check my post elsewhere, I have had 4 MBP's since January, 3 of which I have sold on Ebay. I liked the non-unibody keyboard because it didn't wear that I could tell after having had 2 Powerbooks and 2 MBP's with that keyboard over about 5 years. My first Unibody had shiny keys after about a week, and the trackpad showed a shiny spot if you reflected a low-angle light off of it after a little over a month. I don't think they are uncoated glass, there is some coating on them for touch. Anyway, I put a Moshi palm-kit and keyboard cover on it immediately, and the same for the one that came after it. My most recent purchase is still in the box, waiting for the covers to arrive.

9. ViveLeCorn macrumors newbie

I've used a trackpad cover for my MacBook Pro. It was pretty much a clear vinyl-type sticker placed over it. I hated it. It just didn't feel smooth enough for moving my fingers. I don't like grease/oil or whatever on my trackpad as well, but I just try to clean it like every 2 days of use.

10. demonsavatar macrumors regular

The shinyness people encounter on the glass trackpad is usually a buildup of oil. I would be surprised if they were actually wearing the glass down. My friend's two year old MBP with HEAVY use (his only computer) shows no major wear on the trackpad. He cleans it rigorously every few weeks since it gets dirty, and it looks like new each time.

I have a cover on my trackpad actually, mostly for aesthetics since it is black :p

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The shine on non-glass trackpads is actually people's fingers sanding down the trackpad's plastic surface.

12. Hunter5117 macrumors newbie

I cleaned the shiny trackpad aggressively with non-ammonia window cleaner, soap and water, etc using a microfiber cloth. No amount of cleaning would get it off. Admittedly, using an oblique angled light (woodworking trick for ultimate finish) is a very harsh test but that is what I had.

In the winter time my hands become like sandpaper, regardless of how much hand cream I use. My experience is likely in the .099% of what is considered normal.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I use a Moshi Palmguard and it comes with a trackpad protector. I don't really care for the protection; I just like the texture of the Moshi protector more than the smooth glass.