Are watch tones a thing?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Nicholasredford, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Nicholasredford macrumors regular

Will we be able to set up the sounds the watch makes for incoming calls, messages, alerts etc?

2. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

i think only different haptic feedback.

although it is said to have a small microphone, but i didn't see the feature. the "setting" option on the apple watch is very limited. (might be on the phone setting)

3. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

You'll be able to set up the haptic touches that each alert makes, but the watch does NOT make audible sounds when each of these come in.

....Unless you've got a bluetooth headset on, then maybe it does. I don't know. Someone will have to try this when they get a watch.

4. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

https://youtu.be/SAXRJPbT-5M?t=100
    Could be the iPhone sound though

5. Lynnie27 macrumors member

Actually, I think the watch does make sounds, I remember reading a review which stated that you can have it make a sound for notifications if you so wish. Also there is an alarm on the watch which certainly makes a noise so I think audible tones would be totally possible.

6. MrLoL macrumors 6502

MrLoL

We hear this sound everywhere an Apple Watch receive a message, I'm 100% sure this is the noise it makes.

7. specik macrumors 6502

specik

The watch has a speaker, microphone and Taptic Engine. The watch definitely makes sounds for notifications. There is no way right now to change the sound or customize it per type of notification. You can then it off completely and most reviewers recommended you do so as it can be quite loud.

However, we don't know all the final features will be that will be included with Watch OS when it ships. They'll probably be working on the watch software through the next few weeks... I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Day One update that added more customization for sound and fixes some of the issues reviewers reported.

8. Mr.C macrumors 601

I am pretty sure there will be a day one update or at least one very soon after. Like you said they will still be working on the Watch OS and as the models that ship will not have an up to date OS it's very likely.

9. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

10. MrLoL macrumors 6502

MrLoL

Yes it does, check Messages guide tour.

Why so many people aren't aware of this?

11. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

You're wrong - go try it on at a store. The watch has very audible noises that go along with the haptic engine. I find them annoying, to be honest.

But anyway, like the first iPhone, you can not customize the sounds as the software is now. Maybe shortly after, but not even the iPhone could use custom ringtones before several years.

12. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Why would you say this? Have you actually been to the store to see them?

A couple in store had their sounds turned on and were making the noises as well as the taptic engine.

13. bbeagle macrumors 68040

bbeagle

Yes, I've been to the store to see them, but never heard the sounds. Maybe the sounds were muted?

I find that the sounds are pointless in a watch - I'm surprised that people say that they heard sounds. Pretty ridiculous in a watch, to me. I'm very surprised. I've only used the developer's Watch simulator that does not have sounds, and the watch at the store, which didn't.

I guess I'm wrong then - the simulator doesn't have sounds, but the real watch does.... weird. Either way, when I get my watch, I'll be turning the sounds off and only using the haptic engine. :)

14. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I agree, once I get my watch, I'll turn them off too!

15. wbitsky macrumors member

Several reviews state that they watch plays a loud ding in addition to haptic feedback.

I will certainly turn it off. You won't miss the notification because of the haptic feedback and the whole point of the watch is to make notifications less distracting :p