Are we bias?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by macswitcha2, Dec 12, 2010.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

I know this is a mac site but that does not mean we mac heads look into the "PC" market to get a good PC. I feel sometimes I cannot get serious advise or discussion about a non-Apple computer. Yet, I respect the users here so I look to even answers to questions about non-Apple products. Am I wasting my time here? Should I just go somewhere else for reliable info about Toshiba, Sony, Asus, etc?

I'm in the market for a gift for someone who needs a laptop for media consumption rather than production and my budget does not allow for a iPad so I'm looking at anything between $250-$400 and would like to know what is the for lack of better description, the macbook of the PC world of netbook or laptops but feel that no one here takes non-Apple products serious here. Can someone help me out?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Macrumors is not only the place for Apple help, but is also a place where there are many experts on many things. If you ask about help finding a good non-Apple machine, they will help you.

3. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

I believe this, that's why I'm here, I guess the fan boys usually are the one's responding.

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

That's because the fan boys are passionate about Apple products and that's what makes them good at giving Apple hardware/software answers and help.

I'd find a reputable community for PC questions to be honest (Neowin.net is a great choice). They'll be passionate and give you great help.

5. SmokeyRobinson macrumors regular

Essentially if there's any hope that you will get a Mac, thats the only options people will give.
    They will bring up how PC's break in under a year, how Win-blows, how the registry needs to be replaced, how Macs last longer etc.
    In reality most of the people know nothing about Windows that dont like it.

The thing is that people who bought a Mac assume them to be better, so when they break, instead of moaning about how they suck, they get them fixed and claim they had no issues.

Its funny how people mention they have had zero issues when asked directly, but then when someone else has an issue here, people reply from experience on how to fix it (The sad part is, it's usually reinstall OS X or take it to the Genius Bar/Apple Care).

Its just like expensive cars. People have issues with them and then turn around and say they have been perfect when people ask. It has to be some sort of mental thing.

I was just talking to someone on his 5th battery in his MBP at school, in under 2 years. He had a Thinkpad from the transition period of IBM-> Lenovo years ago that was still going strong that he brought around to class. Granted he is on his 2nd battery in that time which is understandable...

I like Apple hardware and think they have the best trackpads and battery life:spec ratio. But I dont think they are worth the premium for most people.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Don't forget relationship advice.

7. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I think you mean biased ;)

No, seriously, there are loads of users here that use both OSes. Or even all three (Linux, OS X and Windows). I don't really think there is that much bias if you specifically ask for recommendations/help with your Windows machines. There are loads of helpful people here.

8. G37Sam macrumors newbie

I agree with you.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Or stock advice.

10. SmokeyRobinson macrumors regular

AAPL AAPL AAPL is all people know here.

11. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

I find this place to be very biased towards Apple. On one hand it's understandable being an Mac forum. On the other hand I see people over bring up loads of same bs over and over again. For some reason they believe Apple machines to be infallible and everything else to be pure junk. That kind of thinking is not particularly clever.

There are a few people here that will give you lucid advice on certain things but if you want specifics on certain brands I would go straight to a dedicated forum. They'll have far more experience lurking over there.

12. allinone macrumors newbie

Agree. Well, in my opinion, besides Apple, Sony is a good choice for female users.

13. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

For that price range, Best Buy can sell you a moderately decent laptop, but it won't be anything special. I would highly advise getting a netbook, even if the resolution isn't any better than a cheap laptop, just because it'll be larger and easier to see... plus the laptop will probably have a DVD drive.

Also keep in mind, in that price range unless it has an AMD processor, it won't have a video card that can anything useful.

Another great place to check out is Dell's refurbished site. I'm admittedly a Dell fanboy, but in my experience they (especially their vostro and latitude line) can take a major beating, and you can upgrade the warranty on them to next-business-day-on-site for not a lot of money.