Are we ever gonna see a Mini Update or a Mac Tower ?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by sonofmof, Jan 15, 2008.

1. sonofmof macrumors member

do you guys thing we will ever see an update to the mini ? or better still a tower for the switchers who need a little more flexability than the current line up allows ?

2. dwl017 macrumors 6502a

dwl017

No No No ! Which Part Don't You Lunatics Get!

3. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

4. MacVault macrumors 65816

I wish we it were true, but no... Apple wants to dictate to us our hardware options. This is sooo sad. And I can not understand why here on the forums there is such an objection to giving us a cheap Mac tower.

What don't you get, dwl017?

Apple should give us the option. If you don't want a cheap tower, then buy the expensive one.

Until then, or until Apple opens OS X up to other hardware, Mac OS X totally SUCKS!

I'm dropping my MacBook into my shredding machine as we speak!

5. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Don't do that. I'll give you 50 bucks for it.

6. rj1974 macrumors newbie

802.11n!

Come on apple, still no 802.11n in 2008?! Really; if it was in there (preferably with 3100 graphics) I would buy a Mac Mini instantly (have been waiting to buy for over a year now).

7. sonofmof thread starter macrumors member

why am I a lunatic ?

I am a Mac user for over 5 years and slowly am moving more and more parts of my life over to Apple.

My sig describes my current hardware, and TBH a Mac Tower would suit me perfectly.

I could allow my 10 year old daughter to run the Mini, my wife can inherit the iMac and a new Mac tower would suit me perfectly.

I find certain restrictions on the iMac annoying, The HDD is too small, and the VGA is a little slow.

A tower would allow me to customize these things and make the most of my Apple Life, I simply cannot afford or justify a Mac Pro, unless any of you want to donate a Mac Pro to me ?

I don't think I'm a Lunatic, the more switchers (like I was a few years back) who convert and then become comfortable with Macs and OSX, the more of a problem the current restrictions with the line up will become.

8. Hatchet macrumors regular

Really disappointing to not see even an upgrade of the mini.

I am waiting to switch from PC to Mac but without any change to the line and no mid-range priced machine that doesn't include a monitor within, I'm continuing on the other side.

Mac Pro's are simply way too expensive.

Very discouraging. :(:(

9. MacVault macrumors 65816

Yes, this is very discouraging :(:(
    Glad to see I'm not the only "lunatic".

10. rj1974 macrumors newbie

Forking in a Core 2 Duo because Intel has probably ceased producing and/or supplying the old Core Duo, I hardly call an update.

Putting in GMA 3100 and 802.11n; that's what I would call an update!

11. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Didn't say it was a GOOD update, just an update. :)

Apple doesn't seem inclined to worry much about the minis.

12. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Woop, I usually get flamed for this ;)
    But like you guys describe, I would buy a cheap tower. The mini is too restrictive and the Pro is wayyy too much money and hardware than I can justify.
    My ideal would be a Dell XPS 420 running OS X
    Mmmm

But with the customary Mac style ;)

13. rj1974 macrumors newbie

Apple doesn't seem inclined to worry much about selling minis ;)

No 802.11n no sale for me.

14. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

It won't happen. If what you are looking for is a quad core tower that is expandable with discrete graphics and can utilize multiple hard drives then you found it in the Mac Pro with a single quad core chip for $2299. Anything cheaper is called an iMac, then again thee is always the refurb store as well.

15. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Update in the fall to match the SR MacBooks...

4 Gigs RAM Max, X3100 graphics, 802.11n (since movie rentals will be "in the air" ;) )

16. robrose20 macrumors 6502

robrose20

I would buy a mini tomorrow if it had 802.11n, updated graphics, and was able to take 4 gb of ram. This would not require a lot of work on the part of apple.

17. FatSweatyBlldog macrumors regular

You want Wireless N in a Mini? Get a USB-N wireless adapter!

Since the Mac Mini shares components with the Macbook line, and Macbook was recently upgraded to SR, new GPU, etc., expect to see these specs in an "upgraded" mini around summer time.

If you need wireless N in your mini, it's as simple as getting a Wireless N USB adapter.

Apple has always "handicapped" the hardware of the mini, so anyone w/o a monitor comparing it to an iMac based on specs would go "oh, well, might as well just get the iMac for a little more with monitor included).

Apple has always also limited hardware options, because they (Apple) have to write all the drivers to ensure maximum compatability etc. This mindset/logic will also prevent a user-upgradeable tower, because all their resources are tied up with the Mac Pro line, as far as that goes (if you need upgradeability, get the Mac Pro, etc.).

Don't see Apple adding a user-upgradeable mid-tower ever. Nor do I see them retiring the mini completely. ymwv. :D

18. jamisonbaines macrumors regular

update to current macbook specs (processor, ram capacity and graphics) would be a nice update as mentioned by others.

i put 4gb of ram in mine and despite reports of it using 3.x my activity monitor has never gone beyond 3. sometimes it appears to max at like 2.95. then again mine is not out of date at present so no rush on my account :cool:

19. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

20. FatSweatyBlldog macrumors regular

N-enabler not for the mini

That N-enabler doesn't work for the Mac Mini. Maybe it's changed since August, but I don't believe so.

In fact, from your link:

These Macs have the 802.11n hardware built-in:

* MacBook Pro with Intel Core 2 Duo
    * MacBook with Intel Core 2 Duo
    * Mac Pro with AirPort Extreme option
    * iMac with Intel Core 2 Duo (except the 17-inch, 1.83GHz iMac)

Please make sure you have one of these Mac computers before purchasing the 802.11n Enabler software. It is not compatible with other Mac models.

21. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

ahh, sorry.

I thought those products already had 'n' firmware.

does the mac mini not use a standard Airport Express card? Could you buy a new one with 'n' for £30 and put it in yourself?

22. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

802.11n isn't even going to be ratified until September.

23. Schmoe0013 macrumors regular

Schmoe0013

i hope we do. There is too much of a gap between the mini and the pro. Just like the air, i hope they do a tower, but maybe with just a tad more customization... ha

24. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

The mini tower threads on this site are more than I can count...

1.) Mini towers favor people who want to customize their own parts and save lots of money in the process.
    2.) Apple favors making money, not winning your heart. Apple makes products for people in very specific categories. Those users who like to "mod" a lot won't find much joy from Apple's hardware options.

It's not part of the business plan, and won't ever be -- because it isn't anywhere near as profitable. Take a look at Apple's profit margins on hardware and you'll understand why it isn't an option.

25. sonofmof thread starter macrumors member

its not that I want to do a lot of customisation, or even heavily mod things, I just want a consumer desktop, with the ability to expand RAM (i know my iMac has this) HDD (i don't want external drives all over my desk) and Graphics.

I would even buy them from the apple store if they wanted to keep the margins up.

sell a base tower with room for expansion, then sell upgrades from the online apple store.

I would buy Apple approved HDD's (in a custom drive bay if it made them feel better) and updated Graphics cards, inline with the Mac Pro for example.

I do not need the 8 core power of a mac pro, I just need more hdd space and a better graphics card.

The Mac Tower would be perfect for this, and Apple could continue to keep me onboard and sell me their hardware for my upgrades.

There is a Market, it could work, and I truly feel Apple are missing out