iPod Are we getting higher capacity iPods next round?

princealfie

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
Salt Lake City UT
I am finding that my 5G 60GB iPod hasn't enough room for my CD collection. Does anyone know whether the 6G iPods will have bigger than 60 GB? :cool:

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Yes, it'll be 86.5GB and will only come in green and orange.

Seriously, no one knows, or it would be posted in the headlines. Chances are good, though, with perpendicular HD technology and all that.

This news story is relevant.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
princealfie said:
I am finding that my 5G 60GB iPod hasn't enough room for my CD collection. Does anyone know whether the 6G iPods will have bigger than 60 GB? :cool:
Doesn't the capacity go up with every release?

Plus there were 1.8" drives announced in higher capacities recently.

Plus if there's an Apple video store, they might be encouraging you to buy something with extra space...hmm

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
savar said:
Doesn't the capacity go up with every release?

Plus there were 1.8" drives announced in higher capacities recently.

Plus if there's an Apple video store, they might be encouraging you to buy something with extra space...hmm
No, they don't. There's been a 60GB iPod since the photo (although it was a lot thicker...)

ipodcentral112

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2006
madmaxmedia said:
No, they don't. There's been a 60GB iPod since the photo (although it was a lot thicker...)
With the new perpendicualer technology and the newly announced seagate 120Gb 1.8 HD im thinking their will be a 120GB ipod but just a guess.

Greenjeens

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2005
California
I'm waiting for a 60GB (or even a 20GB) Nano version. AFAIK, there is no limit to how many flash memory chips can be stacked together to make a solid state iPod.
If the mini HDs, used in the larger ipods, are anything like full size desk or Laptop drives, then that spinning mini HD is likely the weak link in hardware. It's going to wear out or break, like anything that keeps spinning. Especially in portable devices, spinning HDs are subject to shock damage.
So far, the price of a Hard Drive storage cost vs space, is less than the cost of an equal number of Flash Memory chips, used in the solid state Shuffles and Nanos.

If anyone would pay a huge premium, for an all flash chip based storage iPod, Apple would be selling them. Hopefully, memory prices will continue to decline. I supect larger Shuffle!

If Apple made flash chip based ipods, for which the drive mechanism never broke and buyers might not get insurance, would that effect their business boom?

Or are there still plenty of other components to fail, and new feature upgrades to market, to prevent keep large capacity, Flash ipods from lasting forever and flooding the market?

Will cheaper hard drives, that can write more densley, and thus be smaller, like the new perpendicular write drives, keep a HD, THE storage device of choice for the immediate future, for larger capacity iPods?

-
Dave