Are we going to be able to "push" from mail accounts like Gmail?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheKingIV, Mar 17, 2009.

1. TheKingIV macrumors member

Couldn't tell from the run-down on the front of the site.

2. gorebeast macrumors newbie

gorebeast

3. TheKingIV thread starter macrumors member

My phone will only allow me to fetch from Gmail...Would you mind explaining how to push?

4. yalag macrumors 65816

No, you cannot do that already with gmail. In order to do that, gmail will have to either give exchange access. Or have an gmail app (with push notification implemented)

5. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Push notifications has to do with apps, not email.

Only if you do some forwarding from gmail to another provider that supports push email to the iPhone like Yahoo or MobileMe.

6. TheKingIV thread starter macrumors member

Which costs money, correct?

7. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

A Yahoo mail account is free just like gmail. Do some searching and you'll find plenty of others who have set up their iPhones to do this.

8. TheKingIV thread starter macrumors member

Cool, thanks.

9. Jhanson09 macrumors regular

Anyone think Google might make a Gmail App kind of like they have on the G1 aside from just the email app that includes push or i guess it would use the notifications. Or would Apple even although that since it would be competing w/ the Mail App?

10. phrequenc macrumors newbie

if you set your iphone up with imap instead of pop you can use push

11. milani macrumors 68000

milani

No. Apple would never allow it. Also, Gmail push is entirely dependent on Google allowing it. They don't need a new App, they just need to set up their system to push to the iPhone. Yahoo mail pushes to the iPhone - and it has since day one. It's all on Google's end. Do I think it will happen? Yes, but not right away. Google might decide that it's worth it - especially as their mail service seems to be the new standard.

And just to clarify:

push email - emails are pushed to the phone via the mail server (i.e. Yahoo's mail server pushes the email to your phone).

push notifications - a third party server sends a notification to the cloud (Apple's server), which sends a notification to your phone, which interacts with an app on your phone (and so you might get a little red dot with a number, if it was a Facebook notification, for example).

12. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Not with Gmail directly you can't.

13. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

Yahoo mail does push to your iphone but it's not that reliable.. It will send some e-mails to my phone but at other times it won't. I could get 2 e-mails right away and then for some reason I will get 1 or 2 maybe an hr later.. They will be stamped at say 2:45pm but yet the show up on my phone at 4:00pm.. So it's not nearly as good as mobileme, but I wish that wasn't so expensive..

James