Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TruBleu

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
The Hague, Netherlands
Ok, I don't remember this from the keynote but I will admit this nullifies the thread. I didn't realize the display can flash three times brighter.
Glad to see a TC not getting all defensive as seen in most of the other threads. I applaud you for that.

And apart from the custom display chip that allows the display to flash three times brighter than usual (mentioned by few members earlier), there is one more interesting feature. "When you snap a selfie, a pre-flash detects the lighting around you. Then a True Tone flash on the display matches the ambient light for a gorgeous shot with more true-to-life colours and more natural-looking skin tones". So, the 3xbrighter screen also mimics the true tone flash that's present with the iSight camera. So it is most definitely not just a snapchat flash.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Glad to see a TC not getting all defensive as seen in most of the other threads. I applaud you for that.

And apart from the custom display chip that allows the display to flash three times brighter than usual (mentioned by few members earlier), there is one more interesting feature. "When you snap a selfie, a pre-flash detects the lighting around you. Then a True Tone flash on the display matches the ambient light for a gorgeous shot with more true-to-life colours and more natural-looking skin tones". So, the 3xbrighter screen also mimics the true tone flash that's present with the iSight camera. So it is most definitely not just a snapchat flash.

I did take note of that as well but that could be done by any of the FaceTime devices. Of course the 6s will do it better since it has the superior camera.

YinYangERR

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2015
Never heard of a chip that could make a display three times brighter.... But sure. :)

As an engineer, I suspect the chip likely contains capacitors for powering the flash, some way to detect when the capacitors are filled, and a trigger input to release capacitors into the screens backlight LEDs. This will all take place after the camera has picked up the color tone of the scene, and set the screen to the right color to match (true tone flash).

normal flashes store and release energy stored in a capacitor I suspect this is very likely what Apple's chip is doing.
This is a more technical explanation on LED flash if you are interested: http://electronics.stackexchange.com/a/110260

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.