Are we going to see another server crash this year?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iLoveMyApple, Jun 11, 2010.

1. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

Remember when 2.0 and the iPhone 3G were released? I can't remember if there were problems when the iPhone 3GS was released. Do you think we'll have problems this year? I hope not!

2. celticpride678

I think that it is actually going to be the worst this year..sorry!

3. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

all signs point to yes, according to the magic 8 ball.

4. UnknownMacNoob macrumors member

I'm hoping since I'm on the east coast and I really intend on being first in line at the AT&T store(this particular store didn't have many campers in previous years) that I won't have to worry about them crashing on me. Wishful thinking huh? Lol

5. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Depends on when now, I plan on being one of the first 10 at apple.

6. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

i don't think so. the reason 2.0 was screwed up was. the released the iphone 3g and 2.0 the same morning so everyone was trying to activate there new phones and people at home where upgrading there original iphones. then to top it off they introduced mobile me on the same day.

last year i don't remember any problems. 3.0 and 3gs release were on 2 dif days.

7. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

8. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I don't expect activation issues. I expect "WHAT? YOU MEAN I HAVE TO PAY HOW MUCH? BUT I ONLY PAID 199 LAST YEAR! UNFORGIVABLE!" issues.

9. elephunkman macrumors 65816

Those people at the apple store won't give up and ask the apple people to call at&t in front of them holding up everyone else.

10. Built macrumors 68020

It is my belief that iPhone 4 lines are going to rival the 3g lines (as others have stated, as well).

ANY issues, especially those with HOW MUCH somebody is going to have to pay (given all of the questions with regard to upgrade "tiers") are going to dramatically slow down the lines...even the pre-order lines...EVEN if there are NO server crashes or overloads (which I still believe there will be...at least intermittently)

I'm not going to bother with the Apple Store circus. Home delivery it is!

Now...activation issues through iTunes, and the Apple server, are going to be another issue...something I, and all other home delivery people, will have to contend with, as well.

11. anng12 macrumors member

Yep. I remember the day 3G was released two years ago...... witnessed the crash myself... it was all over the news. our iPhone 3g's just wouldnt work becuz of the crash

12. PorterRocks macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

I have sacrificed a goat to His Steveness in hopes that everything will go smoothly. :D

Thank me if it does. If not, it'll be two goats next year.

13. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

since 4.0 is released on a different day it prob wont be as bad as 2.0, last year I got 3.0 early but i remember having issues trying to download all my 3.0 updated apps. Im on the east coast so I'm hoping I can activate it before the west coast tries, but I may just go to work that day and deal with all the BS afterwards. You would think that after all this time Apple has figured that bedlam will ensue during an iPhone release and adjust to cope with the server load, but I guess you can only do so much with what you have.

14. DeathChill macrumors 68000

I remember being 5th in line at a Rogers store for the iPhone 3G launch and having to wait FIVE hours because the damn activation servers kept going up and down.

Did this happen with the 3GS? I didn't upgrade because I didn't care enough about it. However, this year I'm upgrading!

15. creeman macrumors 6502

More than likely yes. There have been problems in the past so the same will probably be true this year too. And there's no reason for it not to be, Apple isnt going to get more servers to handle the load when it will only last one day out of the entire year...

16. tasslehawf macrumors 6502

Last year Apple screwed up my activation (because of the servers) and I lost my upgrade. It took them days to resolve it and in the end I decided not to get the 3GS. Now that my 2G is falling apart it's time to upgrade. :D