Are we likely to see a MBP speed bump before 2012?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by newfoundglory, Mar 6, 2011.

1. newfoundglory macrumors 6502

I have an early 2008 MBP, which i've had 2.5 years, and i'm so happy with i'm reluctant to replace. But, i'm tempted by the massive speed benefits of the recent quad core upgrade, and the elegant unibody and hi-res screens.

Looking to buy in about 6 months I reckon, after a Lion launch, are we likely to see a speed bump or significant MBP improvements this side of 2012? Anyone know what Intel is planning to serve up this year... to :apple: perhaps?

2. chefwong macrumors regular

I'm going to throw this out there....depending on the app and whether it sees the extra cores, I wish there was a faster proc on the current refreshed MBP and lesser cores..

3. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

There is unlikely to be any MBP refreshes for a while. And if there is, they won't be anywhere near as exciting as this one.

I would expect a case redesign either very late this year, or very early next year, with the Ivy Bridge platform. 13" MBP should go quad core then, but there will be minimal change in the 15" and 17". Maybe SSD standard, or something like that, but very similar CPU and GPU to the present.

If you want a 15" or 17", there is no point in waiting. If you're after a 13", and your present MBP still does everything you want it to do, then you could just wait 12 months. But it's unlikely there will be anything new in 6 months time.

4. newfoundglory thread starter macrumors 6502

5. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Because it's what Apple does. Make cases.

Apple tends to change their computer shells every 4 years or so. The Unibody MBPs have been around for like 3 years.

Sooner or later, Apple will get rid of the optical disk drive. Quite likely in the next revision. This would likely prompt Apple to design a thinner case, maybe with a taper. Maybe incorporating Liquid Metal. Who knows.

Personally, I don't care. IMHO, it's what they're like on the inside that counts.
    Which is where notebooks are different to girls (joke)

6. leman macrumors 604

The whole point of these newer Intel CPUs is that they automatically overclock themselves based on the circumstances. For instance, the 2.2Ghz quad-core CPU in the MBP will "transform" into a 3.3Ghz single-core CPU if only one core is required. Bottom-line: there is simply *no* faster CPU with less cores in the current Intel lineup, these CPUs will adapt as the situation requires.

7. axu539 macrumors 6502a

We won't see any processor bumps until Ivy Bridge comes out (likely very late 2011 or early 2012). The MBPs are using the best notebook processors available (besides the i7 extreme, but that is too power-hungry and expensive to use in MBPs).

8. newfoundglory thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, removing the optical drive definitely makes sense - I have an aluminium Mac mini server - which I purchased knowing that I never use the drive in my MBP. Just boot everything from external USB disks.

9. ranviper macrumors 6502a

ranviper

I think it's unlikely they will completely remove an optical drive in the MBP models, because the vast majority of population still likes using, burning, and watching DVDs and CDs, and the MBP is one of Apples TOP selling lines, period. I find it more likely that they might introduce blu-ray, though that may be wishful thinking.

Hense why the Air has no optical drive, for those who want a fast, capable notebook with no drive.

10. snouter macrumors 6502a

I would think the case needs some help dealing with the heat from the quads.

11. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Arguments for and against optical drives have ruined many thousands of MR threads.

Basically, it boils down to 3 things. Some people use their drives a lot, and would rather have an internal drive. Some people hardly ever use their drives, would rather have a second HDD, and use an external ODD. And finally, a MBP without an ODD is not comparable to an MBA, due to the better CPUs, discrete GPUs, better expandability, more ports, etc.

12. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Ivy Bridge quads should be 35W TDP. The present Sandy Bridge quads (45W TDP) don't seem to generate any more heat than the older 35W TDP duals due to their very advanced power throttling tech. I expect the Ivy Bridge quads to run very cool, and improve battery life by a couple of hours. ie, heat shouldn't be an issue.

13. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

I think we will. The MacBook line is generally refreshed every 10 months, which would put it at December '11. Who knows though.

14. Miss Terri, Mar 6, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011

Miss Terri macrumors 6502

Because they lose market base every time a current MBP user bleeds out at the wrists? No, sorry, I know that's snarky. But I am really looking forward to a different case design, in hopes that it will be more wrist, hand, and surface-finish-retaining friendly along the forward edge.

Remember when Apple took out the floppy drive? I do! They were very popular with the vast majority of the population at the time. I remember thinking "What :eek:" when I heard it because I used them all the time! But Apple kind of "forced" people like me to figure out other ways to do things (which were emerging but which were not really there yet for average bears like me at the time).

So on that angle I can't see a precedent for them not removing it. (I do understand that there are many arguments for and against the ODD's removal from the MBP line though; not arguing that.)