Are we looking at "low supply" or "high demand"?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by DirtySocks85, Apr 10, 2015.

1. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Apple Watch shipping dates began to slip in under 10 minutes of pre-orders going live. Either 1) demand is huge 2) supply is really low 3)Apple is being ultra conservative in their shipping estimates to lower expectations.

My guess is that it's a combination of the above. I think Apple was working down the the wire on getting this product as perfect as they could before they went to manufacturing. It was likely late out the door and they're trying to catch up to their promised launch window.

It will be interesting to see how many of these pop up "in the wild" over the next couple of months. I've been an iPhone owner since 2009 with the iPhone 3G, and never have I witnessed a real life adoption rate as high as the iPhone 6. Typically as an "early adopter" of these things, I would have the product a good 6 months before I saw other people with them on a regular basis. With the iPhone 6, I saw them everywhere by Christmas.

Since we already know that Apple is unlikely to release specific sales numbers on the Watch (as it's going to be filed under "other"), real world anecdotal evidence and metrics from developers are likely to be the best way to track the popularity of the Apple Watch.

2. sterl320 macrumors 6502

We honestly wont know the answer to that until we get an estimate of just how many pre-orders were placed.

3. Kahalu'u Bob macrumors 6502a

Kahalu'u Bob

Good question. I'm going will low supply. It looks like the SS w/ link band was simply not available at all. That suggests to me that the supply may well have been low for other models as well.

4. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

new macbook, in Canada.. delivery date 3-4 weeks.

nothing in store.

I guess it's also considered "sold out during launch". ;)

5. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Low supply.

In fact due to the level of "customization" and SKUs, they are probably taking this opportunity to get a sense what people demand and the factory will make the adjustment right now leading up to April 24th.

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

this i think apple is controlling the shipping times to make it seem that its a hot item and supplies are limited with all these models.

7. JohnApples macrumors 65816

I agree with exactly what you said, I think it's a combination of all 3. I do think more people will get the April 24 to May 8 delivery window throughout the next couple days as this all gets sorted out.

Also, on a side note, I completely agree with your "in the wild" adoption rate with the 6. When I got my 5 a full month after launch day, I don't think I saw another 5 in the wild for MONTHS after. With the 6, I saw 3 of them ON launch day, and just tons of them by Christmas.

Will be very interesting with the Watch. Since none of my friends are getting it, I'll be so overly excited when I first see someone who's rocking one!

8. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

9. whtrbt7 macrumors 65816

Apple needs to manufacture more for their launches IMO. The forecasted sales are huge and every day a user goes without their Apple Watch order is another day of lost revenue. Even though I'm sure they produced a lot of units initially, I believe it's still too small a quantity to fulfill launch day demand. If they don't want people lining up at their stores, they should supply more on the first batch. That said, if an initial batch is bad, that can really affect perceived quality of the launch units. I believe the demand for the watch is even higher than they originally estimated and the combination of low initial yield with this overwhelming demand is what caused a sell out within the first few minutes of release.

10. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

i think its just low supply, no body is buying the watch other than we poor suckers who can't wait to buy the next new tech!

11. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Honestly they should have moved the date to middle of May or June and had more supply.

The reason they are not having walk in purchasing is not for convenience, but most likely they just can't make them in time.:D

12. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

Seems like they made about 50 watches for release date

13. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Well this is actually a "new toy".

iPhones... as much as I love new ones, it's jus the same old same old and not as exciting.

14. antman2x2 macrumors 6502a

Hahaha this wouldn't surprise me.

15. Che Castro macrumors 603

According to the reviews they recommended nobody should buy this

16. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

This. I think that even with the "favorite" function to help them gauge interest in the various models, they still were only guessing what actual demand would be. They probably had to adjust manufacturing on the fly to account for this. I'm guessing now that they know for sure what demand is like, they will seriously ramp up production of appropriate models and before long there will be plenty.

17. zea mays macrumors 6502

zea mays

I agree. I'm pretty sure we'll see some date bumps. We just have no idea which models they will prioritize.

18. Che Castro macrumors 603

This is the same problem with new iPhones during release
    Apple can't make them fast enough it seems