Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2002
WA
I am considering a new purchase/trade. My wife and I are visual artists and we have begun selling work. We need to handle images and our business records. We both have laptops. However, we think a single desktop would better suit our needs. It has been suggested that we trade in our laptops and purchase a 23" cinema display and a Mac Pro. To be honest, this is my dream system. However, is this purchase justified?:confused:

Retired
May 16, 2006
Definitely look into refurb units as they are (pretty much always) great quality, while new MPs cost a lot.

SRSound

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2005
The Mac Pro is a dream machine, true, but one machine means only one project at a time. Make sure your productivity wont drop because you can't work on projects simultaneously.

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2002
WA
I think two seperate user accounts would work, for managing our production needs. My wife rarely uses her computer. I am on it often. She works on specific projects. I use my computer for news and email. This computer would also be our home entertainment system.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
The Mac Pro is a dream machine, true, but one machine means only one project at a time. Make sure your productivity wont drop because you can't work on projects simultaneously.

this is exactly what i thought after reading the original post. the Mac Pro would probably be justified but it would definitely limit (read: prohibit) the ability of two people to work on two different projects at the same time.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i'm not a mac pro person, but i am very pro mac. a mac pro will suit all your needs just fine, i'm sure, but what about a 24" imac? certainly not as fast, but it is more affordable.

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2002
WA
Well, I think that a 24" iMac would fit our needs. Which do you think would be better? I like the idea of having a long lasting Mac Pro which I can upgrade. I love iMacs. However, I always feel the need to upgrade to the newest one. I miss my iMac CRT. However, the hard drives fill up fast. Also, the graphics cards tend to become absolete quickly. That sort of bugs me.

eddyg

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2003
Christchurch, New Zealand
Well, I think that a 24" iMac would fit our needs. Which do you think would be better? I like the idea of having a long lasting Mac Pro which I can upgrade. I love iMacs. However, I always feel the need to upgrade to the newest one. I miss my iMac CRT. However, the hard drives fill up fast. Also, the graphics cards tend to become absolete quickly. That sort of bugs me.

I personally went for a Mac Pro for this reason, and the reason that I don't
like to have the monitor tied to the computer. I upgraded from a PowerBook
using an external 24". That plugged into the Mac Pro just fine, so I got
a second 24" which makes work so much easier having two 24" monitors.

The Dell 24" is very cheap and is quite good.

Also - the Mac Pro runs faster HD's and can take more of them internally.

I'm VERY happy with my Mac Pro and am glad that I spent the extra on it,
I expect it will last me many years.

Cheers, Ed.

hayduke

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2005
is a state of mind.
Mac Pro's are pretty serious machines and they come with a pretty hefty price tag. I think you'd probably be very happy with a Mac Mini. It affords you the option to upgrade the monitor and CPU seperately, has pretty good computing power, and is at a sweeter price point.

If you can't tell yourself why your need SATA2, >2GB of ram, or 64-bit processing, then the MacPro (though quite sexy!) might just be too much machine. These things cost a *LOT*, make sure its is what you need, not what you want.

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2002
WA
Yeah, I think you are right. I am starting to have second thoughts about making the big purchase. The 24" iMac is starting to look better. I think I could actually afford the 17" iMac. What do you think about the low end iMac?
My major requirement is hard drive and screen real estate. A nice graphics processor would be a bonus.

GoKyu

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2007
New Orleans
While having "what you need" is certainly more important, there's also something to be said for having "what you want", because you can have it :)

I'm planning on getting a Mac Pro, and while I do use Photoshop most of the time (I'm currently still on a PC), honestly I could probably get by with a 20" iMac - but I *want* the ability to upgrade my RAM to more than 3 gigs, or to have multiple hard disks.

Besides, I also look at it as a serious long-term investment. Sure I'll be paying probably $2500 or more (including extra RAM) for the 2.66ghz model, but it should also easily last me 5-8 years or more (I usually use my PCs for 3-4 years at a time before upgrading again.)

-Bryan

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
We're In The Final Lap Of Patience Before The 8 Core Mac Pros Ship Coca-Cola

I am considering a new purchase/trade. My wife and I are visual artists and we have begun selling work. We need to handle images and our business records. We both have laptops. However, we think a single desktop would better suit our needs. It has been suggested that we trade in our laptops and purchase a 23" cinema display and a Mac Pro. To be honest, this is my dream system. However, is this purchase justified?:confused:
You are definitely Mac Pro People. But have you read the HARD CORE Mac Pro People's 8-core Mac Pro thread yet? You best wait until April to make sure you don't want to go all the way Coca-Cola.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Don't Buy An iMac. Minimum 2.66GHz Refurb Mac Pro

Yeah, I think you are right. I am starting to have second thoughts about making the big purchase. The 24" iMac is starting to look better. I think I could actually afford the 17" iMac. What do you think about the low end iMac?
My major requirement is hard drive and screen real estate. A nice graphics processor would be a bonus.
I think you would be foolish to buy an iMac. If you have serious budget issues, then get the 4 core 2.66GHz Mac Pro refurb for $2199. But please don't disappoint me by buying an iMac. You will so miss the screen real estate you can have with a Mac Pro. I drive 4 screens off my Quad G5 and could never go back to just 1 or 2.

You do understand that a refurbished Mac is the same as new right?

mrthieme

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2006
It sounds like a MacPRo/ACD is within reason for you, but sharing sucks. For the same money you could buy two 20" iMacs and have change to buy more ram or external storage where needed. I know it's not always the best choice for a pro, but iMac is worth looking at.
Edit, it's funny as I typed this, someone with Demi God under their name was explaining why it's foolish. At least think about it.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
I was also tempted by the 24" iMac, but after doing my sums and weighing up the almost endless upgrading possibilities of the Mac Pro I went with a refurb 2.66 Mac Pro (After waiting for months for a MacWorld SF update) in January.

Added a Dell 24" display and a few Harddrives… extra RAM from Crucial and it is glorious! :D :D :D

Probably the happiest I have ever been with a Mac — apart from my original "Wallstreet" G3 Powerbook (Remember the "Jaws" ads? :p )

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
you don't want to get an iMac that you can't upgrade. i'd highly advise a mac pro if you can afford it.

maybe get the mac pro and keep the laptops also?

volvoben

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
nowhere fast
Sharing stinks, but so do limitations

My girlfriend and I bought a 20" CD iMac as soon as they came out with the plan of adding my 20" dell monitor and sharing it as our main computer. We both have 'real' jobs, but I'm also a photographer, and she does studio art and graphic work for her job and for fun. The evening computer battle began almost immediately (we never actually fought, but at least once a week we both really want to do some work on the same night, so someone gets to wait). She usually wins because she bought the computer, I just own the second monitor. Anyway, eventually I revived my Pentium III college box, hooked it to another input on the dell monitor so one of us can at least browse or email while the other works on the iMac.

Originally we were going to get a mac laptop, use it with my 20" monitor, then eventually get a powermac, but then intel was announced and we decided an ibook would be a dumb investment.

Our current plan is to get a laptop of some sort for general use as well as some graphics work, then for me to get a mac pro (i can't accept the idea of an unupgradable computer, let alone one with a monitor stuck in it as well, i don't want to fool with a new purchase for another 4-5 years, and most importantly, i'll never be satisfied with an iMac because I'm stupid like that).

...might be genetic, my father couldn't satiate his lust for audio equipment until he owned all McIntosh (yes, the other 'Mac', extremely high end audio equipment, my father might pull in 45k a year but has a $10,000 amplifier and $3000 tuner in the living room). On a side note, we visited the McIntosh factory in Binghamton, NY a while back, and our tour guide was friends with Steve Jobs. he'd sold him plenty of McIntosh equipment, and even stayed at his house a few times.

anyway, my suggestion: Keep one of the laptops, even if just for browsing. Unless the wife rarely if ever uses the mac pro, it's still worth it. Having 2 computers has many advantages, plus you won't be getting all that much for an old powerbook anyway (the 12" still get more than they're worth though due to the lack of portable macbooks, but perhaps the wifey's laptop is worth less). With 2 computers you can search online to see what's wrong with the other, share files so you can view all your work from the couch if you're lazy or sick, and work simultaneously.

Finally, I'd give it a few months if possible. Waiting for leopard will save you $130, and who knows what'll happen with the 8-cores, perhaps even a slight price drop for the quads. Refurbished is probably the way to go for you as well, buy your ram elsewhere, the 7300 is probably fine for your non-video needs, plus you can upgrade it in the future to keep the machine up-to-date, and at least consider a dell 24", they're ugly but the screen quality is very good. An ad agency i worked for stopped buying 20" ACDs last year after trying a dell 24", they bought 40 mac pros and dell monitors while i was there, and they were huge aesthetic snobs. a new hire brought her dell laptop in to use for design work and they asked her to attach it to an ACD and keep it under her desk 'to keep up appearances'.

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 10, 2002
WA
So, it now seems that we should wait a bit longer. We can do that. It also appears that we should buy a dell 24" display. I have always bought refurbished products from apple. I think we can find a great deal. Keeping the iBook may be in the cards as well.

Thanks for all the great info.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
So, it now seems that we should wait a bit longer. We can do that. It also appears that we should buy a dell 24" display. I have always bought refurbished products from apple. I think we can find a great deal. Keeping the iBook may be in the cards as well.

Thanks for all the great info.

yeah, i'd wait until they update the mac pros, it's gotta be soon. the dell display is up to you, but you can save some money. yeah, you should get a good deal after the new ones come out. and i'd keep at least 1 laptop if you can

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I would buy a Mac Pro, but since you already have two laptops, I'd sell one but hang on to the other and network the two machines. This way you have portability when it is needed and you have capability to each use a machine when it is necessary for you to be working at the same time.

As delightful as the iMac is (I still love my G5 iMac) it is definitely not as flexible as the Mac Pro, and for your needs the Mac Pro fits the bill. You will want that upgradeability as the situation changes, both in terms of adding additional hard drive space and additional RAM. The current Mac Pro is plenty speedy enough and flexible enough to meet most people's needs for quite a while; the new versions coming down the pike will be even faster and better, of course, but do you really need that? Film editors do, yes, but maybe the majority of the rest of us don't. ?? Since budget is a consideration you might want to wait and see what the new machines bring and then pick up a Mac Pro quad at a reduced price. Or you could pick up a refurb Mac Pro now....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.