Are we stuck with NVIDIA GPU's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amarcus, Sep 16, 2009.

1. amarcus macrumors 6502

Well now we are in an interesting situation in that the entire consumer mac line-up has made the switch to NVIDIA motherboards. To me this seems unlikely to change as doing so would be giving up the power of the 9400 and its successors. So with an NVIDIA motherboard (guaranteed?) can anyone then see the next macbook pro's with AMD powered discrete gpu's? I would imagine doing so would be giving up the dual gpu set-up currently found. Would apple really back peddle on the concept so quickly?

What is everyone else's take on this?

Adam

Sidenote: In case anyone else is wondering the recent talk of the latest AMD powered mobile chips got me down this line of thinking.

2. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Apple kinda burnt their bridges with AMD a few years ago, which is how we got NVIDIA in the first place. Steve Jobs, as talented as he is, also has an ego to match his talent. :D What are the odds he'd ever go crawling back to ATI to try and repair the burnt bridges?

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I don't know what you're talking about. Apple offers ATI graphics solutions in both the Mac Pro and in the iMac so the bridges are still standing.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I agree, I mean I have an iMac with an ATI chip in it. ;)

5. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Touche and conceded.