Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
There has been little verifiable chatter on new iPad Pro models, and they are supposedly about six weeks from announcement. We have only seen rumblings of a "modern iPad" with FaceID, even though we have seen no case designs or really have no conception of how FaceID would work on an iPad designed to be held both in portrait and landscape mode.

I think there’s Gonna be a delay on the new 2018 IPad Pro But we have some facts.

http://bgr.com/2018/04/25/iphone-x2-2018-specs-chip-a12-processor-tsmc/

TSMC ain’t making the A11 anymore. Period TSMC Factory is fabricating new 7nm A12 CPUs.

So I’m jumping ahead and guessing we will get an A12X

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
I think there’s Gonna be a delay on the new 2018 IPad Pro But we have some facts.

TSMC ain’t making the A11 anymore. Period TSMC Factory is fabricating new 7nm A12 CPUs.

Facts?

“Although Apple keeps its manufacturing contracts strictly secret, it’s widely believed that TSMC’s first 7nm chip production run will be the A12 processor that Apple will use in its 2018 iPhones.”

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

No idea how you're jumping to that conclusion.

Like any other company, TSMC keeps the product and customer name private. All we know is, 7nm has entered high volume production.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
No idea how you're jumping to that conclusion.

Like any other company, TSMC keeps the product and customer name private. All we know is, 7nm has entered high volume production.

Well we need to make some inferences that are logical.
We know historically that TSMC gives the first production run to the largest order/customer that would be Apple.
Also we know that All Apple SKUs are made by TSMC at Fab14 in China which coincidentally is the Fab that has the capability to make the new 7nm CPUs. Now the last part is thatApple QC engineering teams have living quarters and Apple QC staff can stay over night if needed at Fab14 which is so gigantic it’s the size of a city.
No other Fab has over night quarters for Apple staff. And no other Fabs make Apple products.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I'm so confident that there will be a new iPP in June that I will refund your price of admission to MacRumors if there isn't

I think there will be. No, I’m hoping there will be cause my iPad Air is old lol...

The iPhone gets updated every year and that’s a high end “pro” device(iPhone X).

So the iPad should be the same I assume.

Reactions: Codeseven

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
i’m still using an ipad mini 2 with a cracked screen & a broken home button, and i want to update to the next ipad pros...so i hope they are announced at WWDC in June...but I can wait until the fall if need be. I am hoping that along with the rumored bezel-less 10.5” & 12.9” pros that Apple announces a new bezel-less ipad mini pro...but that doesn’t look promising. I just prefer the mini form factor. If Apple doesn’t update the ipad mini this year, perhaps the rumor that it will be discontinued is true. In that case, i will nab the smallest pro model.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
We know historically that TSMC gives the first production run to the largest order/customer that would be Apple.
Also we know that All Apple SKUs are made by TSMC at Fab14 in China which coincidentally is the Fab that has the capability to make the new 7nm CPUs. Now the last part is thatApple QC engineering teams have living quarters and Apple QC staff can stay over night if needed at Fab14 which is so gigantic it’s the size of a city.
No other Fab has over night quarters for Apple staff. And no other Fabs make Apple products.

Once again, no idea how you drew up your conclusion that Apple is no longer making A11 designs.

Reactions: ericwn

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
People hold onto their tablets longer than they do phones. So tablets don't need the same hyper-upgrade cycle.

While I agree people do keep their iPads longer myself included, still doesn’t mean Apple won’t uodate the iPad Pro line in June. Still a possibility.

It’s always been tough to predict the launch of a new iPad.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

Another masterpiece from Mr The-2017-iPad-won’t-have-a-headphone-jack-for-sure.

Reactions: eVolcre
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.