Are wifi passwords synced through iCloud?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by felixen, May 25, 2016.

1. felixen, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016

felixen macrumors 6502a

I've never noticed this before but today when visiting my parents they told me they had gotten new wifi. I found their network on my MacBook Air and entered the new password. A few hours later I grabbed my iPad and noticed it was already connected to the wifi. I pulled out my iPhone to check and yup, it was already connected as well. So I'm curious how this happened when I never manually connected to the new network on these 2 devices. Does iCloud synchronize wifi networks to all your devices after you've connected to them on just one device? I never noticed this before now (and I just got new wifi at home about a month ago).

2. Rigby macrumors 601

Yes, if you have activated iCloud Keychain:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204085

3. felixen thread starter macrumors 6502a

Curious why this didn't happen when I got my new wifi at home recently, but awesome feature nonetheless.

4. davidg4781 macrumors 68000

It's an amazing feature. And it may have been that at home, you added your devices to the wifi before it had time to sync. Or maybe you did a cellular device first so it couldn't push the new password to your non-connected device.

5. Rigby macrumors 601

I agree that it is a nice feature most of the time. However, I think there should be an option to turn Wifi password sharing off, because sometimes it is not desirable that all devices connect to a certain Wifi network (e.g. in corporate environments, or if you use a portable hotspot). This becomes even more important now that some other iOS features (like Homekit) require iCloud Keychain to be turned on. Currently it is not possible to prevent a device participating in iCloud Keychain from connecting to a Wifi network which is shared.