Are Windows 7 keys unique to their disc?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by wesrk, Jul 17, 2010.

1. wesrk macrumors 6502a

I had 2 Windows 7 pro discs, but one of them was burned (as in turned into charcoal) and was never used.

Now I came into possession of a Core 2 Duo HP laptop that is without an OS (it has a restore partition but since it was originally packed with Vista I'm trying to avoid it). I'm wondering if I can use the other Windows 7 disc I have but use the key of the one that was never used (I have the key of the burned one). Is this legal? Can it be done? The two discs were of the same version.

If it can't be done I'll install ubuntu on it, but I would like to also have Windows 7 (as long as it doesn't cost me a dime) so that it can be used as a house laptop when I go to grad school in a couple months.

2. Wanderermy macrumors newbie

As long as your key corresponding to the edition of Windows 7, you should be fine.

3. vchalupa macrumors member

I believe the Key corresponds to a specific version of windows rather than the disc. Keys can be interchanged between discs as long as the discs are the same version of Windows

4. wesrk thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm very satisfied with these answers, thank you guys.
    This can go into the solved questions and locked if a moderator feels it should.