Are word and number games all that we can expect?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by Oppressed, May 4, 2015.

1. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

I've noticed that smooth animations on third party apps are pretty much non existent. Which is holding back your typical games like platformers, action, and RPG games. So are we to expect to only have word and number games for the Apple watch?

Also do we even want games that we can't complete within a 5 minute glance at the watch?

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

We don't want games on a 1 inch screen that will be covered by a pinky whilst playing. Sheeeesh.

3. Oppressed thread starter macrumors 65816

Oppressed

No but would you play space invaders with the crown as a controller?

4. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Who would want to play a FPS game on a watch... Its a watch! IF you have a watch you more than likely have an iphone (If you dont, then well, maybe you shouldnt have an apple watch), and you should play it on your iphone. I guarantee the experience on the phone will be much better...

5. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Well, what I've noticed from ALL the 2048 games for the Apple Watch, none of them have the swiping feature. You have to touch a side of the screen to move the tiles in that direction.

Considering the limited battery life and basic processing power of the unit, I don't think there's going to be much emphasis on action games or those that require fast input. Card flipping animation in the Video Poker game was slow. I wouldn't be surprised if these are all HTML5 or Javascript games, even though I'm sure they're all written in Objective-C and Swift.

6. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

Right now the watch API's are very limited... apps can't run natvely on the watch, but rather run on the phone. The watch can present screen taps back to the app on the phone and the phone can present new 'cards' and screens back to the watch. So what you're looking for cannot exist yet.

There is certainly a lot of hope that apple will support native apps at some point (possibly as soon as WWDC in early June), but until Apple makes some changes we're going to be stuck with games that are very similar to what we already have.

7. menace3 macrumors 6502

menace3

Like you, I was all gung-ho on games on the watch. You know something to do while I'm waiting. After installing one or 2, it just made more sense to delete them. 8 out of 10 times, my phone is nearby.

8. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

My personal opinion is that individual watch uses should be measured in seconds not minutes, and as such I don't think any game should ever exist on the watch, at least not in the format we are used to. Quite simply, if you have enough time to play a game on your watch, just do it on your phone.

I think gaming on the watch completely misses the point of it.

Others will no doubt disagree ;)

9. Peepo macrumors 6502a

Pong or breakout would be good games using the digital crown.