Are You a Model Citizen?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MACDRIVE, Apr 26, 2007.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

What does it take to be a model citizen? I'm thinking for starters, you would have to be someone that doesn't break the law and perhaps even have a spotless criminal record.

Maybe someone who keeps their lawn green and mowed regularly? That seems too easy though, there's got to be something else that makes a person qualify for being a model citizen.

Volunteer community service maybe?

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

Doesn't the first normally lead to the second?

As for being a model citizen, I'd say it's a fairly complicated thing. Volunteering in the community would help, but if you do that but also annoy your neighbors with a barking dog the whole time your gone, then maybe not.

Essentially, I'd say it's someone who respects others, works to improve the world around them - ecologically, emotionally, and economically, and generally strives to be a good person.

For the record, I'm not a model citizen.

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

No I'm not....I'm quite the bother around my block...playing loud music and hitting on every beautiful woman I see.

Bless

4. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I guess I am a wannabee Hank Hill. My yard looks like crap though.

5. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I'd guess a model Citizen is someone who doesn't think,Citizen.

6. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

I think a model citizen would be a person that has respect for themselves and everything/everyone around them.

7. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I was on a tour of the police department with a group of teenagers a few years ago, when I asked a policewoman to look up my SSN. I'm so clean they couldn't even find me! I guess it's been twenty years since I got a ticket.

The rest of my makeup is questionable. :p

8. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

LOL!!! . . . [​IMG]

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

10. wongulous macrumors 6502a

A model citizen should be one that isn't afraid to question authority, give equal civil rights to all Americans, and who considers the repercussions of all of his actions. Not to go into politics and religion forum territory or anything... ;)

But I think I am technically a model citizen. I pay my taxes, drive responsibly*, I am pursuing my education, I am working full time, I pay my bills (usually), I am registered with the Selective Service, I vote always, I have volunteered in the past with various causes, I recycle, I open doors and assist people in need, I'm a registered first aid and CPR responder with the Red Cross, and I'm a registered organ donor. I'm always nice and always willing to help, because I know there are days when I wished I had somebody to brighten my day... so I always try to do that.

* I sometimes go 4mph over the speed limit, and occasionally up to 10 on the interstate, if the conditions are safe and traffic is sparse (and I'm sure there aren't any popos around!), but I've gotten two tickets and taken classes for each and both times police officers taught the classes and said that they speed too and don't blame speeders who are reasonable (5mph or less on regular streets, 10mph or less on interstate), and usually they can't stop anyone going that little over the limit, much less are they usually interested in wasting the time.

11. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Umm.. yeah, I'm not a model citizen, other then the fact that I do vote, and I do research WHO I'm voting for.

12. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Hardly. If you do that, you're adding to noise and air pollution for no good reason, other than someone else's idea of what looks "nice." But what if you're surrounded by people who insist on traditional lawns like that? Maybe it's impossible to be a model citizen. :)

--Eric

13. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Nope- I'm an a**hole and a loudmouth. Ask anyone in the political forums. :) Hell, ask my co-workers!

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So your an American Citizen.:p

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

no such thing, no one is perfect.
    and you can't make everyone happy.

17. bartelby macrumors Core

Speak for yourself!!;)

18. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Lets see...I keep my lawn green and mowed, volunteer for random things here and there(and when told to), and make sacrifices most people couldn't. I vote( you should be shot if you dont! ;) ), drive the speed limit, and donate my precious blood. I should be considered the model citizen :cool:

19. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

I think a New Yorker would be a better description.

20. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

I would say no - only because I look at the 'template' and try to avoid being that as I think 'we' are supposed to be better than said or viewed 'template'. So I am not a model ;) or a citizen so I can not be a model citizen.;)

21. b0tt094 macrumors 6502

b0tt094

I belive this line from the Flogging Molly song will explain most everyone on earth :cool:

"I'ma aiming for heaven, but prolly wind up down in Hell"

I kno thats me :p

22. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I helped an old lady across the road once. How many ladies do I have to pilot to be a model citizen?

23. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

don't know about model, but I'm super anal about recycling... anyone who doesn't recycle, who thinks that just dropping their coke can in the regular trash, even 'just the once,' is not a model anything in my books...