Are you a programmer/web designer?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by iYitsy, Feb 1, 2012.

1. iYitsy macrumors member

What utility are you using for a notepad editor? I am using Tincta but it is missing the most important thing that Notepad++ has.. FTP uploader built in.

Tell me, what are you using?

2. zflauaus macrumors 65816

I use a combination of Espresso and TextWrangler. TextWrangler is more if I need to do something quickly and Espresso is my CSS/HTML go-to app.

3. iYitsy thread starter macrumors member

By any chance do anything of these have FTP integration?

4. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

You could always just use Cyberduck for FTP. I don't do very much coding but I've found Fraise (free version of smultron) + Cyberduck to be a great combo.

5. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Both do, actually. Espresso is more for full projects while TextWrangler is for individual/quick changes. Also, TextWrangler is free while Espresso is $79. I still think it's worth it but you can try both out.

6. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I use Coda, but it's more of an all-in-one type of thing, as opposed to just a text editor.

7. huythanhv2 macrumors regular

+1

Coda is Notepad++ equivalent on Mac OS

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

9. Roman2K~ macrumors 6502a

Programmer here (and web designer at times, by default :rolleyes:).

To me, Vim is the way to go. Open-source, robust, well thought-out, plethora of plug-ins.

The learning curve is time well spent (about the most rewarding effort I have made in a long time, 3 years ago). As an illustration, take a look at these screencasts (demo + full sample, for free) to get an idea of what kind of productivity can be achieved once mastered.

10. robvas macrumors 68020

Try Sublime edit

A couple guys here like Komodo but I find it weird.

11. BitterMelon macrumors newbie

BitterMelon

Right now I use TextWrangler for basic text editing, but it's not really awesome. For development in projects I use Netbeans IDE. On the other hand, Netbeans is hardly "lightweight".

12. Roman2K~, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012

Roman2K~ macrumors 6502a

You mean Sublime Text. It does look like a good TextMate alternative.

Except, like TextMate, it's closed-source. Development could stop at any point in time like it happened to TextMate (1 or 2 years with no updates -- development on TextMate 2 is back on track since a few months ago, finally).

A good long term time investment is Vim, really. 20+ years of active open-source development means it's established its place, and it's not going anywhere. Valuable time spent learning it are not about to go down the toilet like it could with all these closed-source alternatives (and, it runs in the terminal: no GUIs with never ending menus and mouse-based interactions where a few key strokes could do).

13. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Thanks for some good recommendations. I'll do a little script work on the OSX side on occasion, and been looking for some good tools. The other day instead of firing up a VM, I used a native OSX app to hit up a DB server, and used TextWrangler to update a deployment script.

Normally, most of my development is in Winders© in a VM (VS2010, Oracle EMS, SQL EM, etc.)

14. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

Textmate + Transmit or Coda here. Chocolat is another to keep an eye on that can be found here:

http://chocolatapp.com/

It seems to have some promise.