iPhone Are you able to sync the new Notes over cellular?

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by fiftythree, Sep 23, 2015.

1. fiftythree macrumors newbie

I jus noticed the new Notes app on iOS 9 doesn't sync when the phone is on cellular to me. Only when the phone connects to wi-fi all notes get synced up. Is this the way how it works on your phones?

Mine is iPhone 6 on AT&T LTE. Same thing on iOS 9.0 and 9.0.1. I've turned on Notes in Cellular and iCloud.

Thanks guys.

2. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that how all iCloud syncing works. Syncs when you get on wifi. Backups, Photos, Contacts, Notes, and so on.

3. Cmd-Z macrumors 6502

Cmd-Z

iCloud Notes do sync over cellular (as do contacts, etc.) I have iOS 9.0.1 now and I can tell you that Notes do sync over cellular. I just checked my iCloud.com page and a note that I just updated on my 6+ synced to iCloud just fine over cellular (no, I'm not on Wi-Fi at this time).

However ... I have not yet chosen to "upgrade" my notes to the new format, since my Mac is not on El Cap yet (once you upgrade your notes within iOS 9, I believe that you lose syncing with the Mac if its not on El Cap). So once you convert your Notes to use the new iOS 9 features, you may lose this functionality, but I highly doubt it.

4. fiftythree thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the confirmation. Yes, once you upgrade you have to have El Capitan to sync the new format. The iCloud version will also be upgraded to https://www.icloud.com/#notes2 from https://www.icloud.com/#notes.

Unfortunately, it seems after the upgrade the notes won't sync over cellular any more. At least for me. It might be a bug though. I reset the cellular stats and then created a new note. The data usage did increase, but the note doesn't show up on my other devices.