Are you actually supposed to calibrate the built in battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zorahk, Apr 24, 2010.

1. zorahk macrumors 6502

I was under the impression that starting with the mid 2009 macbook pros you were not supposed to calibrate the built in battery when you bought it. In fact I looked in the 2010 macbook pro manual and unlike the previous macbook pros it does not say to calibrate the battery. Is this correct?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. zorahk thread starter macrumors 6502

Right, but for example in the early 2009 macbook pro manual it says to calibrate in the first week.

So are you supposed to do that here or not?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Has MRoogle brought up anything?

As it is still the same battery technology as in last years models, the same principles of taking care should apply.

5. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

If you're not having any problems with your battery life, don't worry about it.

I believe it is still a recommended procedure though. I was recently asked whether I was familiar with the battery calibration process when I called AppleCare about a battery issue.

6. zorahk thread starter macrumors 6502

The early 2009 macbook pro does not use the same battery technology as the june 2009 macbook pro. except for the 17".

I am saying that the battery calibration is mentioned only in the early 2009 15" manual and for june 09 and '10 it does not mention it.

you really don't know what you're talking about do you : /

So anyway, for someone who actually has had experience with this, are you supposed to calibrate the built in batteries?

7. Cali3350 macrumors regular

The batteries are different in terms of structure and size but its the same li-on tech always used in the macbooks. Yes, you should still calibrate it.

Charge it up - leave it that way for two hours. Run it down till it FORCES itself off, then leave it that way for 5 hours. Then charge it up and your good to go.

Its easiest to charge it overnight, use it during the day and charge it during the night.

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Battery technology has not much to do with size or form. It's still a lithium-polymer battery like the one used in the Aluminium MBPs and the white MacBooks just a little bit more advanced.

But Cali3350 already made a post about it, I just wanted to answer on the "don't know what I'm talking about" part.