Are you apps running faster in Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fstigre, Aug 31, 2009.

1. fstigre macrumors regular

fstigre

Hi,

Last night I installed the new Snow Leopard hoping to see an improvement in some of the programs I use (Photoshop, LR, Flash, AE etc…) but I don’t think any of these programs other than Safari, Finder and all those built-in applications in OSX benefited from this new 64-bit code, at least I haven’t seen any improvements in fact I went and checked the Activity Monitor and I don’t see the 64-bit in any of these programs.

Was this supposed to benefit all programs speed wise or the program itself should be 64-bit compatible?

Thanks,
    fstigre

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Application must be 64-bit too. 64-bit kernel may speed up some apps but not significantly. Good news is, Adobe CS5 will be 64-bit.

3. fstigre thread starter macrumors regular

fstigre

4. fstigre thread starter macrumors regular

fstigre

One last question, I did basically an update when I installed Snow Leopard and just because it never asked me if I wanted to erase and install, I even backed-up everything in Time Machine.

Should I clean my hard drive, re-install SL and than just do a restore from TM?

Will I benefit from doing a fresh install (will I see a difference)?

Will Time Machine restore all my application 100%?

Thanks

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I first did an upgrade but some apps were sluggish and it took 3 mins too boot so I did clean. I recommend clean one, much better IMO.

Yes, all apps will be restored

6. thepro8 macrumors member

thepro8

When I boot in 64 bit mode I notice a huge difference with safari. Safari processes web pages so much quicker.

7. fstigre thread starter macrumors regular

fstigre

First of all thank you all very much!

I thought 64 bit was the only option in this new version?

Do I need to do something when booting in order to have the 64 bit?

Thanks

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Hold down 6 and 4 while booting.

9. fstigre thread starter macrumors regular

fstigre

Would you be so kind and describe the process you followed for a clean reinstalled?
    I have never done this before I’m afraid that if something goes wrong during the installation I end up losing all my files.

Thanks

10. thepro8 macrumors member

thepro8

Watch this video. they walk you though the clean install in the last few minutes. it will help you a lot.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/donmc/SCO0213-snowleopard-free-640x360-h264-Free-ipod.mov

11. fstigre thread starter macrumors regular

fstigre

Thank you for the link! Very nice video +

Why is that I can see the 64 bit when viewing the Activity Monitor without having to do this?

12. fstigre thread starter macrumors regular

fstigre

I have been having problems with Adobe Lightroom (its been running slow) and reading on the internet I found an article that says that if I right click the App (LR) click the get info and uncheck the 32bit, the application will run in 64bit, I tried this open the application (LR), open the Activity Monitor and in fact it was running in 64bit.

I thought the app needed to be written specifically for the 64bit, in order to run in 64bit.

Is this really running in 64bit? What is really the benefit of doing this (if there is any)?

Thanks