Are You Buying An iWatch? (Poll)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by loon3y, Jun 23, 2014.

?

Are You Getting It?

1. Yes

24.7%
  2. No

42.9%
  3. Not sure

29.9%
  1. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

I'm not, if i have some extra cash or get it as a present yes of course.

But its not something thats a must get for me. Looks cool, ill definitely check it out at the store or if a friend gets it, but i get extremely drunk on the weekends, just another thing for me to worry about breaking if i use it for everyday use.

Are they projected to use sapphire crystal for the screen?

2. mcmul macrumors 6502

I remember saying "cool functionality" when Pebble was released but didn't consider buying one. Firstly, I like the science and history of watches and secondly, watch aesthetics are an enormous factor. (To me, the watch - or, what I look for when I buy a watch - is divided into two equal parts: aesthetics and movement.) But the iWatch is something different. Depending on the functionality offered, I could imagine myself wearing one playing tennis, running, going into work maybe; all of the places where I wouldn't wear my non-smart watch. I'm hopeful that Apple can release something which offers useful, non-gimmicky, functionality and considering that I own an iPad, iPhone and Mac, they have the best chance of doing so. So, yes, assuming they release something which isn't gimmicky and isn't too ugly, I'll buy one. Why not?

3. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

I do not plan to get one immediately! If it turns out that an iWatch is really useful, I may consider to get one in the future.

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I've no idea what it will do, what it will look like or how much it will cost so I've no idea if I'll be buying it or not.

5. macs4nw, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014

macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

The overwhelming consensus on rumor sites seems to be 'yes'. I'd go further than that. Just a stab in the dark, but it's possible they may use a best-of-both-worlds design, engineering an ultra-thin top layer of sapphire, bonded to a substrate of Gorilla glass.

The advantages of that approach are two-fold. It would prevent the brittleness of sapphire to become an issue, while also preventing the gorilla glass substrate from getting scratched, because it's those scratches that make it much more likely to crack.

P.S. You might consider a third option for your poll, such as "Maybe", as none of us have any concrete details at the moment, other than past experience with Apple's 'new category' unveilings.

6. arefbe macrumors regular

arefbe

7. pollaxe macrumors 6502

pollaxe

I'm in the same boat as OllyW; I'm waiting to see what it does and what it looks like.

I'm ignoring the price aspect at the moment, as my initial reaction is usually that something is too expensive though I usually talk myself around after a bit of saving. :)

If it will do some of the stuff that's been rumoured, then colour me very interested but I'm waiting for some cold, hard facts before deciding.

8. 960design macrumors 68020

Where's the I'm not sure what the heck the thing looks like or does, so I cannot make a decision yet radio button?

9. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I wont be buying one, or any smart watch for that matter. I do wear a regular watch though..

10. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

No, I'm an analogue kinda guy. I have more than I need in my pocket (iPhone). I don't need to be distracted by more than I already am.

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Oh look, it's suddenly appeared as if by magic. ;)

12. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

Haven't worn a watch for more than 30 years; they kept on breaking when I did. Not interested in the state of my health or whatever other else an Apple watch might tell me.

When my time's up, my ticker will stop ticking, and that's that.

13. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

For me it really comes down to what it does and how much. Any more then $200 and I am out. I work out and run half marathons so for fitness stuff I am interested but running 6-7 miles then going back to my car and looking at my phones timer working fine for me haha :)

If it was the nike pulse that tells time and is made by apple I'd be happy. Just with more vitals information

14. Felasco Guest

iWatch is the latest evidence that Apple is losing it's vision.

A gadget on your desk. A gadget in your hand. A gadget in your pocket or purse. A gadget on your wrist. A gadget on your forehead. A gadget in your shoes. A gadget in your underwear. A gadget on your head. A gadget in your belly button. A gadget in your ear. A gadget in your gadget. A gadget within the gadget in your gadget.

A gadget to create a vision beyond gadgets?

15. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

Can they lose the vision they never had? As you yourself point out they have always been a gadget company. A really good one, in my opinion. Why expect them to suddenly change? If they did it would probably just screw up their ability to make gadgets and then we wouldn't even have that.

Also, the iWatch isn't evidence of anything since we don't really know anything about it. That brings me back on topic: I don't see how anyone can be sure they are going to buy one until we know what it is. We're not even 100% sure they are releasing one.

If it's the fitness tracker that recent rumors suggest and it seems to work well, them probably yes. My Dr. already has me tracking this and that and I'm all for a better way to do it. This might be the gadget that people over 40 "get" in a way younger people just can't. ;)

16. Felasco Guest

I feel there was a larger vision in the early days, which I've tried to explain in other threads.

Perhaps what's happened is that the sixties and seventies, the decades in which Steve Jobs came to maturity, was a quite philosophical time, and thus larger visions were very much a part of many scenes, including the birth of Apple. Since then, the philosophical urge seems to have waned, and now we are in an era more focused on consumerism.

I hear ya. It's clear the gadgets, and Apple, are popular indeed.

I suppose I'm just expressing my own experience of gadget mania as being a rather claustrophobic cultural experience. It seems the world is getting smaller in more ways than one.

PS: In the interest of intellectual honesty I must report that I typed this on a gadget. :)

17. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I stopped wearing a watch due to skin problems. Got so used to not wearing one that I can't see going back to wearing one.

18. d0nK macrumors 6502

I haven't worn a watch in 15 years, since I started carrying around my phone.

My iPhone is all I need.
    I don't see the point of an iWatch.

19. Ledsteplin macrumors 6502

Ledsteplin

No. I don't like wearing watches. Besides, I always have my iPhone with me. I guess I don't really have a need for one. The rumored cost is $350, with another monthly data charge from my carrier. I've got to the point where, "enough is enough!".

20. jlabute macrumors regular

jlabute

Swiss or German rather than Apple

My preference would be a manual or automatic with swiss or German movement... I sometimes wear a watch and always view it in direct sunlight. The standard movement watches will be serviceable for generations... They tend to be heirlooms and not considered disposable like a digital watch. An iWatch is a dorky waste whether from Apple Samsung or any other.

21. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

I'm actually pretty excited about the possibilities. I will 90% sure buy the 1st one and upgrade regularly.