Are you buying AppleCare+ for your new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amitdoc2b, Jun 8, 2017.

1. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

Just seeing who thinks its worth it and if you're buying (or would buy) the AppleCare+ for your new MBP? It's appealing because if I don't want coverage the entire 3 years then I can receive a pro-rated amount of the cost back, which is why I am considering to buy it... just to help protect my investment for the amount of time I keep it (i.e. 1-2 years).

It includes "coverage for up to two incidents of accidental damage, each subject to a service fee of $99 for screen damage or external enclosure damage, or $299 for other damage."

But how good will the coverage be for accidents? Does it cover accidents like me working and accidentally spilling coffee/tea on it, leading to the entire laptop to fail? Will they allow me to use 1 of my 2 repairs for a dent if it drops when I am carrying it even if the laptop is functioning and the huge dent is cosmetic?

In one instance of the agreement, it states "ADH coverage only applies to an operational or mechanical failure caused by an accident from handling that is the result of an unexpected and unintentional external event (e.g. drops and damage caused by liquid contact from spills) that arises from your normal daily usage."

On the other hand, it states "the Plan does not apply to excessive or catastrophic damage to Covered Equipment caused by liquid contact (e.g. products that have been partially or wholly submerged in liquid)." .. So how much liquid can I accidentally spill on this thing when working yet still be covered??

2. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

"Partially or wholly submerged in liquid" would obviously be more involved than "damage caused by liquid contact from spills".
    There may be internal sensors, designed to show submersion, but not tripped by a simple liquid spill.
    If you spill liquid on your MBPro, you can see that would not be as pervasive as dropping your MBPro in the ocean (or the result of a flood where you know everything was under water)
    A few drops spilled - should be OK for an incident.
    Dropping your MBPro in a few inches of water/partly or wholly under waterGet ready to spend some money.
    There's the difference ... :D

3. Fthree macrumors 6502a

When did they change it from standard AppleCare to AppleCare + for MBP? I have a mid 2015 15 that I purchased AppleCare for is this the same?

4. BuCkDoG macrumors 6502

I will NEVER buy Apple care on my laptops personally. I always take flawless care of them and Apple will cover anything if you complain enough, just saying.

5. Nave29 macrumors member

It's not the same, they just changed it on Monday

6. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

No, not the same as AppleCare, which it appears to replace. AppleCare+ is similar to what has been available for iOS devices, such as providing two incidents to repair accidental damage to the display, or the outer case. You pay a service fee with each incident, and there is a limit of two incidents, after which the AppleCare+ is expired, or three years, whichever is sooner.
    $99 for incident involving replacement of the display, and accidental damage to the enclosure. $299 for "other" accidental damage from handling. Catastrophic damage is not covered. Normal wear and tear is also not covered. Read here for conditions for that coverage.

7. Fthree macrumors 6502a

that sucks!!!
    --- Post Merged, Jun 9, 2017 ---
    thanks!

8. jerryk macrumors 68040

Is Applecare+ only available at the time of purchase, or after in-store inspection, like on an iPad?

9. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

Directly from Apple's site:

"Every Mac comes with one year of hardware repair coverage through its limited warranty and up to 90 days of complimentary support. AppleCare+ for Mac extends your coverage to three years from the original purchase date of your Mac and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a service fee of $99 for screen damage or external enclosure damage, or $299 for other damage, plus applicable tax.1"

And to answer the question yes I'll be buying AppleCare soon for my Mac. These are expensive computers and I feel AppleCare is safe insurance.

10. udflyer macrumors 6502

OK, I did not buy it at purchase I thought I had 1 year.

How do you buy it ?

I went to check coverage and it has a yellow exclamation point by buy AppleCare !!!

How do I buy the darn thing ?

11. amitdoc2b thread starter macrumors 6502a

You have up to a year for AppleCare, but up to 60 days for AppleCare+

12. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

AppleCare+ is slightly different for the timing to add AppleCare+. Purchase that at that time you purchase your new Mac - or within 60 days of purchase. With the standard AppleCare, you need to purchase before the original 1-year warranty expires.
    Where exactly is AppleCare now? It appears by this page that there is now only AppleCare+.
    I assume this means that if you enter the AppleCare program now, it will be AppleCare+ (including the two incidents that are part of that program). Does anyone have any information about that? It's a bit sketchy at the Apple site, which only mentions AppleCare+ now.

13. udflyer macrumors 6502

Total BS that you can no longer buy applecare and must get the + with accidental stuff. I do not want that.

14. oldhifi macrumors 65816

oldhifi

Right

15. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

But --- the AppleCare+ is the same price as the previous AppleCare ($169 on an iMac, for example), is it not? Plus, you don't ever have to use the "accidental stuff". Using the incidents will cost you, but if you don't ever need that part, then it costs nothing extra.

16. justinf77 macrumors 6502

If you're eligible for AppleCare+, meaning that the computer was purchased within the last 60 days, then Apple will sell you AppleCare+. If you're outside of 60 days, but still within a year, Apple will only sell you original AppleCare with no exceptions. I tried via chat, on the phone, and at an Apple Store to get AppleCare+ for my 2016 MBP and they wouldn't budge, and only offered to sell me original AppleCare.

17. PBG4 Dude, Jun 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2017

PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

It's $379 for MBPs. Last I knew, AppleCare (not+), was $349. I'll pay the extra 30 bucks if it means accidental coverage is covered. My late 2008 MBP has been sporting a cracked screen for a few years because Apple wanted crazy amounts of money to fix it after I accidentally closed the case with a screw on the keyboard. Even a third party repair company was $200 plus shipping both ways to fix it.

18. haydn! macrumors 6502a

If AppleCare+ for Mac becomes available in the UK, I might consider it. But right now, it's only available stateside.

Anyone remember how long it took for the plus version of AppleCare for iPhone to be available outside the states?

19. jerryk macrumors 68040

I thought AppleCare for a MBP was $249 USD (or less if you got it as an Amazon return)

20. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

The difference is mainly the screen size ...
    12-inch MacBook (and MBAir) is $249
    13-inch MBPro is $269
    15-inch is a bit higher, $379

21. tatty27 macrumors 6502

tatty27

I bought AppleCare for both my iMac and last MacBook Pro and in both instances I was very grateful I did when both machines developed faults outside the 12 months warranty.

I now won't buy an Apple product without buying AppleCare for it too (exception being the watch)

22. killawat macrumors 65816

Any guesses on what the footnote entails?

Looks like a screen bump is ok but if you come in and your MacBook is in two pieces you'll need to buy a new one.

23. haydn! macrumors 6502a

Basically, Apple will cover you if it's repairable. If it's damaged, beyond repair, you're not covered. Seems fair and reasonable.

24. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

Apple Care + is a must with today's glued together Macs. Disagree with the statement about "I never buy it" and Apple will repair it or replace it if you complain enough. Yeah, maybe some folks, but that's not a given. Apple Care has saved me money in the past and I will continue to buy it. ;)

25. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

If you drive away and your laptop falls off the top of your car, it'll probably get fixed for $300. Toss it out of your car while on the highway though and you're outa luck.