Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you buying the NEW Macbook?

• YES!!!!

Votes: 132 59.7%
  • No - Lack of Firewire

Votes: 25 11.3%
  • No - Too expensive

Votes: 26 11.8%
  • No - Revision wasn't enough to make me buy

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • No - buying the 999 Macbook for whatever reason

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • No - I'm buying a Vista, Apple really screwed me over.

Votes: 10 4.5%

• Total voters

Dudeman486

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
Has the wait finally been fulfilled? Are you purchasing the mac of your dreams? Or has apple dashed your dreams of owning such a portable by omitting features such as firewire or upping the price past your reach?

holysmoke

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2008
got it. top end macbook with ram upgraded, remote, and applecare. Will come by the 23rd.

edcoche

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2007
No - Not buying a new Macbook b/c its not worth it for me. I still have my 2.2 SR Blackbook w/ 4gb ram. Maybe in a year or so when its time for an upgrade. Although I would really like having nvidia powerd visuals! :cool:

Suasexed

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2006
UK
Apple did indeed launch the perfect computer for me (well ALMOST, no firewire is a bit of a bummer, but it's not a huge problem for me). I've been waiting for Apple to introduce an iBook/MacBook in an aluminum case and finally they have. It's a little more expensive than I had hoped, but with student discount it comes in at £890 which isn't too bad... it's £100 more than I would have liked to have paid, but I think it'll be worth it. I went for the 2.0ghz model - no extras :)

johnsy

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
So let's see what we got here-
Alu case neither plus neither minus.
better video card is plus
lack of firewire is minus.
bezel design is minus.

Hard drive was user serviceable anyway.

gospel9

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
bought :)

Was considering to get the Air before, for the LED display, keyboard(i love the feel of it, backlt CAN be a little useful sometimes)... DDR3 and the new GPU are also welcome. It's almost perfect for my needs.

I am also fan of the iMac'ish design.
Of course the one piece aluminum is a huge welcome.

The prices will go down as time goes, but you'll have to realize Apple needs the cash for the engineering and the new factories.

EDIT: Oh and it's a 2.4, with 4GB DDR3 ram.
I have also forgot to mention the very generous glass multi-touch trackpad. This alone is a huge win for me. I almost bought the Air because of its trackpad!

andrewag

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2005
Australia
Wanted to replace my PMG5 with a MacBook Pro but here in Australia they went up $500. Next option MacBook - great about the graphics, not so much about FW and then again the $2000+ price.

Just purchased some more RAM for my Black 2GHz Core Duo MacBook instead to get some more (probably sensible) life out of it.

Metuas

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
Under a rock.
I was hoping for a $1099 with 2.4 GHz to upgrade from my 2.2 SR MBP.
Instead, they showed off a $1299 with 2.0 GHz.

The new features are fine, but I'm not going spend more money in order to downgrade.

I tried to like it, but really the new MBs are disappointing.

Glad I got the MBA for my father when we did, too (September 7). The refresh didn't really bring anything other than a bigger hard drive, and a hair faster processor.

zotes24

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
Got it, this is what i got!

Apple Remote
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
2GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x1GB
320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
Backlit Keyboard (English) / User's Guide
Accessory kit
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Dudeman486

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
wow, i'm seeing a not so great trend here. it seems that almost half of the users are not springing for the new macbooks because of what apple did. Hmmm, a very nice example of bullying on their part. I hope most of these problems are fixed with rev. a.

great high wolf

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2006
I was considering an upgrade when my current MB hits 3 years old, but the lack of FireWire and high prices are deal-breakers. Unless things have changed significantly by the time this MB's third birthday rolls around, I'll be holding onto it until it's no longer fit for service.

I hope that Apple one day learns a lesson about pushing ports for years and then changing or dropping them on a whim. See also their endlessly-changing video adaptors.

Admonitor

macrumors regular
May 31, 2008
Got the 2.0GHz one. I can understand why some people might be annoyed, but for me, the extra cost is worth it - the sturdier design, better graphics, etc make it a perfect middle ground between the old MacBooks and the MBPs. I never have used Firewire so I don't care it's not in (personally).

timestoby

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2007
north devon,uk
i like the new macbooks,but i think for my first mac ill get the whitebook. sure i could afford the new ones,but there are a few things that dissapointed me,but they were minor.

i supposed if ive been using macs for awhile id go ahead and get the new macs,but since its my first id be happy with the whitebook.yeah,i got over not getn the new ones

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
Really like the new MB, waited for years for a replacement for my 12" PB but it never came, so I bought a 2.4 BlackBook last April... Now, they release the one I wanted! Maybe next revision I can justify an upgrade, at least my BlackBook is the top spec so should sell well on eBay?!

iCries

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
definately, ordering today, by the way does anyone think the SSD is worth it? I talked to an Apple rep today and he says its definately worth it, by the way the SSD is the intel SSD according to the Apple rep, those are monster performers as far as I know, so do you guys think its worth it in a macbook?

dubhe

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Norwich, UK
definately, ordering today, by the way does anyone think the SSD is worth it? I talked to an Apple rep today and he says its definately worth it, by the way the SSD is the intel SSD according to the Apple rep, those are monster performers as far as I know, so do you guys think its worth it in a macbook?

As the drives are swappable have you priced buying an SSD yourself and popping it in?

phobic99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008

For the price, I personally wouldn't say a SSD is worth:

Faster (slightly) boot times
Faster (slightly) disk access times
Lack of noise (no spinning drives)
Less chance of mechanical failure
---> Less hard drive space (I horde everything even though I have a 5 TB server)

They still need another year for costs to come down for me to consider one. If money is of no concern for you though, go for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.