Are you buying your mac now or after Leopard is released?

Are waiting for Leopard's release to purchase a mac

  • No, I cant wait until Leopard, I am getting mine now

    Votes: 58 53.7%
  • yes, i holding my purchase until ntil Leopard is released

    Votes: 32 29.6%
  • I am happy with what I have, I am not upgrading (hardware)

    Votes: 16 14.8%
  • I am waitiong for Vista to purchase a PC

    Votes: 2 1.9%

  • Total voters
    108

hdsalinas

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
397
0
San Pedro Sula, Honduras
Hi,

I have been waiting since July for Leopard and updates to the imac line. Leopard is not showing up this year alnd the upgrades to the imac line is more than what I spected. So I am ready to buy.

So if finances allow, I am going to spend my two weeks christmas vacation unwrapping and playing with a new Imac.

I wanted to wait to Leopard release but ihave waited enough. I rather get the upgrade later.

So how about you, are you going to wait for leopard release to get a new mac or you rather not wait?
 

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
If you are that cheap, just 5 finger discount it when it is released and enjoy your Mac in the meantime.
 

Bill Gates

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2006
2,500
14
127.0.0.1
I'm not waiting because I can't. I'm currently using a borrowed laptop while at college because I refuse to purchase any laptop still using the Core Duo. I'll buy once the MacBook Pro has the Core 2 Duo processor inside. Once Leopard comes out I'll purchase a copy. Alternatively, if I purchase a student ADC membership, I'll upgrade to Leopard when the DVD arrives in the mail.
 

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
1,928
0
Most pointless thread ever

Why wait for an operating system to dictate your computer purchase. Is there anything wrong with Tiger? It's not like Leopard is going to make a difference with currently shipping software. What's the point of waiting when you can buy Leopard when is comes out?
 

Demoman

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2005
194
0
Issaquah, WA
I just ordered a new MP and did not give a single thought to Leopard. Mac upgrades are so cheap I feel like I am stealing anyway. You see, I have to purchase M$ licensing and that makes Apple such a better deal.
 

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
2,952
0
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
I bought this machine just before Tiger was released, no biggy.
Fortunately, I was close enough to the update that they sent me the Tiger upgrade DVD for a nominal fee.
I just ordered one stock 2.0GHz MacBook due here some time next week
and I'm seeing what happens at Paris Expo before I order another.
 

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
3,070
3
Calgary, AB
pfft, forget Leopard, I'm waiting for Liger! I heard it's going to have Steve's reality distortion powers built into it via iDistort.

This will of course be around the same time quad core chips are shipping, so I'm gonna hold off on my purchase for at least 3-4 years.

Honestly some people here are so worried about "future proofing" themselves that they'll use any excuse to NOT buy a mac right now or ever.

I think MR should add a new forum, "Not Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion" that way all the people who are too afraid to actually pull the trigger and buy a mac can discuss their "purchase" decisions over a 3 year curve.
 

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
802
0
dornoforpyros said:
pfft, forget Leopard, I'm waiting for Liger! I heard it's going to have Steve's reality distortion powers built into it via iDistort.

This will of course be around the same time quad core chips are shipping, so I'm gonna hold off on my purchase for at least 3-4 years.

Honestly some people here are so worried about "future proofing" themselves that they'll use any excuse to NOT buy a mac right now or ever.

I think MR should add a new forum, "Not Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion" that way all the people who are too afraid to actually pull the trigger and buy a mac can discuss their "purchase" decisions over a 3 year curve.
Haha. If you hadn't written that I would have. If I needed to make a computer purchase I would make it at the moment I had to. As soon as Leopard will be released, your macbook/imac/mac pro/mini will be do for an update in a few months/year/whatever. A new line of products will always be on the horizon. I know some people want to get the latest. I would wait for core 2 duo if I wanted a macbook now, but waiting for leopard or santa rosa is rediculous at this time. It's like saying "should I wait for a 1.5 ghz powerbook that will be released in 6 months time or buy a 1.33 ghz powerbook now. Same thing. Are you willing to wait a few months for a minimal increment or a new OS that will run just as good on the hardware you buy now? Think about your options/patience/money. Then make your decision
 

OnceUGoMac

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
914
0
THX1139 said:
Why wait for an operating system to dictate your computer purchase. Is there anything wrong with Tiger? It's not like Leopard is going to make a difference with currently shipping software. What's the point of waiting when you can buy Leopard when is comes out?
I for one will be waiting. When I got a G3 iBook, it didn't have the capabilities of handlng certain aspects of OS X, such as the fast user switching animation in Panther. My current G4 iBook doesn't have the capability to produce the ripple effect in Tiger. Also, I can wait. I don't need a new Mac. Hell, I don't need a computer at all, or my t.v., 360, etc.
 

Xenesis

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2006
197
0
Australia
As I really need a new mac, I'm going to buy one as soon as I have the money to do so.

And Leopard isn't that expensive an upgrade regardless.
 

AppleinJapan

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2005
132
0
I was trying to wait until leopard too but once that 24 inch Imac came out - I was clicking the "buy now" button....Boy it is sweet indeed !! can't wait until It gets here...My old G3 imac was dying and I was crazy to think that I couldve waited what until Spring 07 to get a new one..I'll buy leopard when it comes out
 

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
2,139
0
Finally I have arrived.....
For me, I am more interested in timing my purchasing decision on UB software. Not all software makers have not yet put their acts together to churn out the UB software.

If you have the recent G4 or G5 units, you should be able to keep working on the projects/hobbies for the next few more years without feeling too slow in your productivity.

Once Adobe makes UB C3, I may be buying MBP or MP.
 

lenso

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2006
11
0
how much upgrage leopard will cost?...

if i'll buy now macbook

i'll need to buy a new copy of leopard in 129$ ?
 

zwida

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2001
587
0
NYC
lenso said:
if i'll buy now macbook

i'll need to buy a new copy of leopard in 129$ ?
Yes, if you wanted to upgrade to Leopard, you'd have to spend $129 (or whatever they charge).
 

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
1,786
1
Kushiel's Scion
Considering some people are still running Panther, making a purchasing decision on a computer based on saving $129 seems like tripping over dollars to pick up pennies.
 

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
1,758
0
California
dornoforpyros said:
I think MR should add a new forum, "Not Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion" that way all the people who are too afraid to actually pull the trigger and buy a mac can discuss their "purchase" decisions over a 3 year curve.
Lol.

I'm waiting till like, March at the latest to buy a new laptop. I'm not overly concerned about Leopard, I'll upgrade to it when it comes out. Unless they have a release that's imminent around the time I'm buying.. I guess I'll wait. Maybe.
 

SpankyPenzaanz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
705
0
Just bought a 24"imac (hasn't arrived yet) and waiting for leopard and cs3 for a laptop (which will hopefully bring a full redesign of mbp)