Are you content at this point?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by SirStrumalot, Oct 6, 2011.

1. SirStrumalot macrumors 6502

I purchased OSX Lion on release day but never updated because I can't afford having a buggy OS at the moment. Now that it's been a while since, would you guys say it's safe to upgrade? Anybody wish they stayed on SL a while longer or did everything pan out?

2. mrmister macrumors regular

3. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Wait for 10.7.2, and then wait to see if we like it yet.;)

4. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

5. BrickbookPro macrumors regular

I prefer it to SL. No issues here.

6. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    No, not yet, and don't think I will be unless I can find a way to get my very specific bug complaints to Apple which has proved impossible so far. It's OK for right now, though. Snow Leopard is working great! Have no complaints about it.

7. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

If Apple would build in some way of disabling auto-save I would be. The update to 10.7.2 helped quite a bit in terms of speed and overall polish, as the initial release was clearly rushed.

8. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

The people with recent or just released hardware seem to be doing just peachy on 10.7 and 10.7.2 is out now if you look around ... will be officially released really soon now.

9. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I went back to SL..I wait to hear the good stuff after .2 is released.

I like Lion mostly I don't like 4hr battery life.

10. basher macrumors 6502

basher

Quite content. I upgraded on day of release. There are a lot of threads that identify Lion bugs and issues. If they are not deal breaks for you, then upgrade and enjoy.

11. Cyngen macrumors newbie

12. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Definitely NOT happy with Lion so far. There are bugs in it that significantly impede my workflow, so much so that I have to boot into Snow Leopard at times. :( :mad:

13. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I've had Lion completely screw up and crash once, and one application is unstable on Lion. Apart from that I'm happy with it though.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm content - I think for me, Lion has been very stable. I have no complaints, though I would like apple take some of the UI decisions in a different direction, but stability, performance wise I'm very happy.

15. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Very content. First Mac computer and OS, so I judge it from being a Windows user and thus far no complaints for the last two months of use

16. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I'm content. There's been a few quirks along the way, but 10.7.1 solved my wifi connection problem, which was the biggest one for me.

17. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Not at all. In fact, I went back to SL. Simply can't live with 3-hour battery life opposed to SL's 7. Plus Lion used to make the fan active more often.

18. Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

My 2011 MBP which came with SL does better with it than Lion.

When Apple Technicians can't get Lion to work on my machine, even when they clean installed it... that tells you something.

19. blackomega31 macrumors member

blackomega31

Installed on first day. It stayed on my mbp for a month and then removed and apple refunded my money. I was not plagued by the many listed bugs. My main problem was the radical change of the ui. The change that went in the wrong direction. Apple changed too many things that you just dont change. I have recently Installed lion from a torrent site on another hdd (sorry apple but I
    Can't believe you want us to pay for this crap) I have it only to test the updates. Not content

20. haravikk macrumors 65816

I installed Lion a little over a week ago and I'm fairly happy; it's fast and responsive for me.

The only issues I have are full-screen apps with a multi-monitor set-up, as it's the least intuitive system available, I'd much rather have full-screen apps on each monitor, with their own full-screen hidden menubar, as it'd be far more elegant. As it is I'm sticking to my previous, tried and tested, method of simply using Command-H to hide apps I'm not using, and just resizing them to give the best view.

My other niggle is with Resume; while it's great for some apps, it's an absolute pain in the arse for others, specifically ones that deal with larger files like Quicktime, which can take a long time to open if you forgot to close that 1.5gb+ movie file you had open last. Once I figured out how to choose which apps do this it's become much better. For those interested, just use Go to Folder in the Finder and open ~/Library, look for the Saved Application State folder, and simply lock it. Clear out folders for the apps you don't want to use Resume, and any time you want to add an app, just unlock the folder, open and close the app normally, then lock the folder again. Considering there is also a defaults command that can be used to set this per-app, I think it's shameful that Apple hasn't bothered to add support for per-app Resume, a simple toggle in the Dock options menu would be perfect, and dead easy for them to do.

Otherwise I'm loving it, though I can't seem to get my wireless keyboard to work with FileVault's pre-boot login screen, which I'm really hoping they'll fix soon!

21. ceej macrumors member

You are far more likely not to have any issues. Nobody I know has. Safe as any other new OS.

----------

I wish you all would just get Office and stop crying about a free feature.

22. darster Suspended

I am a zen master and I am always content. I can make Lion do as I wish. :D:D:D

23. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I've had Lion since launch day and it's been just fine for me.

24. ceej macrumors member

I wish everyone in here thought like you. Spread the zen :)

25. SirStrumalot thread starter macrumors 6502

This was super interesting to read. I'm at that point where I feel the need to upgrade to make myself happy, but don't want to deal with all the hassles that come with it. Seems like Lion has a fair share of people content with it and some that just can't stand it. I think I'll hold out until 10.7.3.

Playing with it at the Apple Store, I find it lags a lot more than SL. Especially mission control.

As a reminder guys, make sure you're submitting your opinions/bugs to Apple via their website. That's really our best hope at being heard.

----------

Wow you can't disable it? :eek: That sounds annoying as hell.

----------

What did you dislike exactly? I'm interested to hear because it's not so much a radical UI change that deters me but the bugs that people have listed which seem very annoying to deal with when your mac is your primary computer.

----------

Wow that bad? Did you do a clean install? How much RAM do you have?