Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you going to disable Performance Management?

• Total voters

lynchdavidh

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2018
New York
Now that iOS 11.3 has been publicly released, some iPhone users have the option to disable Performance Management in Settings -> Battery -> Battery Health (Beta).

My iPhone 7 still has 94% maximum capacity, but I was curious to know if anyone with a weaker iPhone battery was going to actually disable Performance Management and see if it made a difference.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Only a moron would configure their device to randomly shut down.
That's assuming that someone would encounter that to begin with. That said, seems like part of all of this is to give people the option to be able to decide for themselves if they want to.

Reactions: motulist

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Only a moron would configure their device to randomly shut down.
My iPhone 6s clearly had performance management (i.e. throttling) enabled before iOS 11.3 came along despite my battery being at 94% (as reported by Battery Health in iOS 11.3) and it only being just over a year old (I did have the original battery replaced under warranty) based on the low geekbench scores I was getting (almost half of normal). I suspect it became enabled on my phone post iOS 10.2.1 as my phone has shut down a couple time when I'm using it in the cold and the battery charge is less than about 30%. Even post iOS 10.2.1 my phone will still turn off at around 30% charge if I'm using it outside in the cold. I'm sure performance management will be automatically enabled again the next time I use my iPhone outside in the cold and I'm glad that I can just turn it off since it is gimping my phone when I don't need it and isn't helping when I do. Long story short, Apple doesn't always know best.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I think if the performance management software throttles the phone after a crash -and it will tell you that it did- the best thing to do is just go get a new battery. ... not disable it.

Reactions: az431

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
How many people are really ever even going to have the option? A random shut down seems extremely rare for an iPhone.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Would you rather it slow down or switch off?
Thing is (in my case) it will only switch off when it is used outside in the cold at a lower charge, and I can honestly say that throttling hasn't helped prevent that (my phone still turns off in the cold at around 30% charge even since Apple introduced performance management), so why should I live with a gimped phone all the time because it might turn off when I try to use it in the cold? Apple was clearly throttling my phone for no good reason before, and I don't even have the option to enable it at this point, but if it does get turned on again in the future I will disable it (unless my battery actually needs replacing, in which case I will do that... everyone seems to be missing that my battery still has excellent health and yet my iPhone was being throttled anyway).

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Thing is (in my case) it will only switch off when it is used outside in the cold at a lower charge, and I can honestly say that throttling hasn't helped prevent that (my phone still turns off in the cold at around 30% charge even since Apple introduced performance management), so why should I live with a gimped phone all the time because it might turn off when I try to use it in the cold? Apple was clearly throttling my phone for no good reason before, and I don't even have the option to enable it at this point, but if it does get turned on again in the future I will disable it (unless my battery actually needs replacing, in which case I will do that).

If it was throttling for no good reason then it sounds like a faulty phone so I’d take it to Apple for service.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
If it was throttling for no good reason then it sounds like a faulty phone so I’d take it to Apple for service.
My iPhone has shut down "unexpectedly" when using it in the cold (but it's not really unexpectedly as lithium batteries ability to deliver a current efficiently drops off in the cold, this is not a fault with the phone, this is physics). Performance management is enabled when your phone shuts down unexpectedly, and the software cannot tell the difference between a shut down due to cold vs a shut down due to significantly degraded battery. Once enabled there was previously no way to disable it except replacing the battery. Replacing my battery every time I used my phone in the cold isn't really viable (I live in Canada after all), and there was technically nothing wrong with the battery, once it was warmed up its ability to deliver a charge was normal. Unfortunately iOS would have already enabled performance management and I was stuck with a phone with 50-60% of normal performance. I'm glad I can now turn performance management off on my own.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Ok so problem solved now then?
My iPhone has shut down "unexpectedly" when using it in the cold (but it's not really unexpectedly as lithium batteries ability to deliver a current efficiently drops off in the cold, this is not a fault with the phone, this is physics). Performance management is enabled when your phone shuts down unexpectedly, and the software cannot tell the difference between a shut down due to cold vs a shut down due to significantly degraded battery. Once enabled there was previously no way to disable it except replacing the battery. Replacing my battery every time I used my phone in the cold isn't really viable (I live in Canada after all), and there was technically nothing wrong with the battery, once it was warmed up its ability to deliver a charge was normal. Unfortunately iOS would have already enabled performance management and I was stuck with a phone with 50-60% of normal performance. I'm glad I can now turn performance management off on my own.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Ok so problem solved now then?
So far so good, having full performance again for the first time in months has been great and I'm happy that Apple is finally being transparent and appears to have properly addressed this issue. I'm really just responding to people like "az431" who say things like "Only a moron would configure their device to randomly shut down", not really realizing there are other scenarios where performance management is enabled that don't involve a seriously degraded battery. Of course I don't want my device to randomly shut down.

Reactions: jhall8 and motulist

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
I'm wondering at what battery health pourcentage you have this option? my 6s is at 85% capacity and no performance limitations so far.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
Disabling it? I would delete that crap off my phone in a second if it was possible!

Let me tell you a story about my little iPhone 6. I had it now for more than 3 years, it is still on 82% on its original battery. And what did those "very stable geniouses" at Apple did? They somehow decided that my iphone battery isnt powerful enough so my phone's been throttled for the past 6+ months. I cannot emphasize HOW EFFING ANNOYINGLY SLOW MY PHONE WAS WORKING! And i've NEVER EVER had a random shutdown on my iphone. Yet Apple geniouses obviously thought, i needed CPU throttling.

Unlocking/locking: When unlocking phone, animation would be laggy, all the icons would "fly down" like crap. When locking - it would sometimes take 2 seconds, after clicking the lock button, for the lock sound to "click".

Messages: Everytime i opened messages app it took FIVE (5!) seconds just to open the damn app. When i then started typing a message, no letters would appears. Only ater 3 seconds suddenly all the typed in letters would appear in a second!

Phone app: It would take 3 seconds just to load the phone app, another 3 seconds to load the recents page. And sometimes it didnt even refresh recent calls correctly. A lot of times i would click recent page, saw the contact on top which i wanted to call, clicked on it - EEEEE - in the last milisecond phone would frefresh recent page and it would throw to the top a number that should've been there from the start. So it caused me to start calling wrong contact. A phone app on a phone, how much more basic function is this?!

Camera: It took 5 seconds just so the camera would open (number of moments i missed that way is amazing). And when i took a picture, it took another 3-5 seconds just to show me the picture i took!

bluetooh: bluetooth streaming to my two UE BOOM speakers at once was more or less useless since my phone randomly started stuttering and lagging because it couldnt support enough CPU power for streaming to two speakers at once.

Instagram: Out of all apps instagram stories were probably the worse - Everytime i watched some story, if i swiped down to close it, i would have to swipe it down at least 5 more times since the phone couldnt even handle the graphics that goes with swiping down the story in instagram!!! It was THAT bad.

Browsing on webpages in chrome: I lost count how many times i just locked the phone and threw it away(sometimes over entire room) since the damn phone couldnt even handle a normal scrolling on a homepage, that my HTC from 2012 could easily do! CONSTANT LAG, constant delay with loading text from site while scrolling (sometimes up to 3 seconds!!)

And every other app would take AGES to load/open.

So what happened after upgrading to iOS 11.3? Well my phone, miraculously, works normally again! No lag, every app opens normally, i can easily stream Bluetooth music to both speakers again, everything else works smoothly and i have no random shutdowns.

So thank you very very much apple for making my phone the way it used to be, before you wanted to force me to buy a new phone.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Apple was clearly throttling my phone for no good reason before,

A new battery won't crash a phone at low charge levels. Regardless of what a battery test revealed, if it's crashing at low charge levels, the battery needs to be replaced. When a battery reaches 80% capacity it's considered severely aged/degraded and should be replaced (before then).

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
From the messages in this thread it really sounds like Apple shouldn't have ever enabled performance management if the shutdown was due to the battery being too cold. There are temperature sensors in the phone so iOS should know how cold it is.

It sounds like Apple screwed up, interpreted cold temperature shutdowns as weak batteries and left people stuck with throttled phones after winter. At least now you can reset it when it happens.

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
A new battery won't crash a phone at low charge levels. Regardless of what a battery test revealed, if it's crashing at low charge levels, the battery needs to be replaced. When a battery reaches 80% capacity it's considered severely aged/degraded and should be replaced (before then).
It will in the cold! Did you actually read anything else in this thread or just jump on that tired old bandwagon with all the folks that believe that only iPhones with severely aged/degraded batteries were being throttled?

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Great! Now that Apple added the feature "everyone" was asking for none is going to take advantage of it. :D

bodonnell202

macrumors 68020
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
From the messages in this thread it really sounds like Apple shouldn't have ever enabled performance management if the shutdown was due to the battery being too cold. There are temperature sensors in the phone so iOS should know how cold it is.

It sounds like Apple screwed up, interpreted cold temperature shutdowns as weak batteries and left people stuck with throttled phones after winter. At least now you can reset it when it happens.
Thank you! Yes, I think for whatever reason performance management was being over applied before and with iOS 11.3 the software is taking more into account before deciding if performance management should be enabled (hence why it was enabled on my phone before but with iOS 11.3 I don’t even have the option to turn it on). At least Apple fixed their mistake here, their engineers are human after all.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Thank you! Yes, I think for whatever reason performance management was being over applied before and with iOS 11.3 the software is taking more into account before deciding if performance management should be enabled (hence why it was enabled on my phone before but with iOS 11.3 I don’t even have the option to turn it on). At least Apple fixed their mistake here, their engineers are human after all.

11.3 gives everyone an automatic fresh start with no performance management, only turning it on when an unexpected shutdown happens.

Judging by how many people are singing the praises of 11.3 performance like it's the second coming of Steve Jobs, a LOT of phones out there were throttled, maybe unnecessarily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.