Are You Disappointed from Retina Display Exclusion?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by theturtle, Mar 12, 2011.

1. theturtle macrumors 6502a

Okay, before someone flames me. I'm one of the people who LOVE my iPad 2. Waited in line for five hours and am very happy with my purchase. Just curious though, is anybody who bought the ipad 2 a bit disappointed that the retina display was excluded? Is it even possible to have included the retina display? Wouldn't it have cost too much?

Just asking cause from the constant reviews I read of the iPad 2, they always bring up the fact that the xoom has a higher res screen.

2. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Disappointed absolutely. But realistically now that we think about it the Retina was a long shot. Not only the display would've cost a lot more, it would've been necessary for Apple to cram in at least 1G of RAM if not more. Seeing that we're looking at 30~40+ million of iPads, it probably just wasn't possible.

A similar danger was AMOLED. Imagine what would've happened if Apple had picked AMOLED for the iPhone and was severely constrained by the limited supplies of that screen.

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

You'll have to wait till next year at the earliest. You shouldve just stuck with a cheaper iPad 1 if resolution was so important.

4. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

I really would have loved to see it. Given the added CPU and graphics capabilities it would seem the stage was set. However, there are lot's of other factors to consider. I do understand that it couldn't be part of the offering this time around but it would have been very nice.

5. dmaul1114 macrumors 6502

Would have been nice to have, but I'll mainly use it for web surfing, e-mail and reading news etc.--not a lot of video etc.,--so not a big deal for me.

6. iAAPL macrumors regular

iAAPL

7. OceanView macrumors 65816

Hopefully they will include it on the next iPad.

8. dehlz macrumors newbie

Judging by this release, if and when retina display's come to the iPad it will easily be the biggest first launch day for Apple, even more so than the iPhone.

9. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

Next people will be demanding retina display iMacs and tv's :rolleyes:

How close do you guys hold your iPad to your face?!? The screen looks just beautiful to me.

10. Richard8655 macrumors 6502

iPad3 and retina display is it for sure.

I've started to make plans to camp out in front of my Apple store. Taking a year leave of absence from my job. Wife will deliver hot soup and sandwiches daily. A year without a shower might be a little tough, though.

But in all honesty, that's the iPad to wait for and get excited about.

11. Devan macrumors newbie

Designing for the retina display would be hell.

You'd need a 27" screen just to work on the interface.

12. lilcosco08 macrumors 65816

lilcosco08

resolution independence

13. Elweezy macrumors regular

Is it possible to even have retina on the iPad? Or is waiting for the 3 useless?

14. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

:eek:

15. zenio macrumors 6502

The "retina" is best left to the tiny rather undersized iPhone 4 Display. I've found my iPad 2 display to be fine.

16. coldpower27 macrumors regular

Complete day dreaming Retina Display level would required the iPad to be 2560x1920... for 330 ppi... that's even greater then the highest resolution computer monitors of 30" with 2560x1600...

Realistically not possible...

17. samiwas, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

samiwas macrumors 65816

I was waiting for someone to make this point. A tablet device with a higher resolution than the highest-resolution consumer desktop monitor currently available (by a whopping 17%)? Not sure I see that happening any time soon.

18. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

It's pretty much the only thing Apple could have added that would have made me upgrade on day 1. I love my iPad, but the screen is not sharp enough for reading text at my preferred size.

19. DS3 macrumors 6502a

Maybe if I had had an iPad 1 and went to a lot ofntrouble to upgrade. As a first time owner I think the screen looks fantastic and never expected retina.

I'm not sure they will do it in 3 either. The processing demands would be very high, and there is no real argument for it being necessary. With the 4 apple already had the iPad out, so apps were already being made at higher resolutions so assets could be used by both devices. Obviously the iPhone isn't going any higher res, so the ipad2 would have to create another tier of large app siEs on still limited storage just for the one iOS device.

It'd be impressive tech, but idnprobably rather have the money and effort go into improving some other aspects that are more functional. Of course, apple has to try to impress people andretina would be a huge marketing point, so they may do it even if they don't think it's needed.

20. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

As a reading device, higher resolution is needed. At smaller text sizes the text is clearly blurry and grey. With good vision, you can see individual pixels at normal reading distance. I don't know how much more functional a part you could get than the display that you interact with 100% of the time you are using the device.

21. DS3 macrumors 6502a

If you've got good enough vision to see the pixels you've got good enough vision to easily read on the iPad. I have absolutely no problem reading this board in portrait mode zoomed all the way out, yet alone landscape or iBooks with easily adjustable text.

Look obviously if they find a way to include a retina and the power boost needed for higher res in a years time without raising the price I won't be complaining, but a lot of people seemed to act like it's something they absolutely must do in the very next iPad.

22. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I don't see the relationship between these two things?? Of course I can easily read on the iPad - but the point is, at smaller sizes, the text is blurry and grey rather than crisp and black. Would you want to read a book or newspaper where the font was slightly out of focus?

23. newdeal macrumors 68020

The iPad has a great screen. I could not care any less about retina

24. DS3 macrumors 6502a

My entire argument is that a retina is a luxury not actually particularly needed, and you are wondering how the iPad currently being easy to read is relevant to my argument? Really?

And calling small text, which I'm currently staring at, blurry is a reach. Yeah if I lean in and stare at one spot I can see the pixels, but reading a foot from my face it looks good. I mean come on the pc monitors people read on all day long are lower dpi. Did you buy a 1900x1200 11 inch monitor so you couldn't see any pixels?

Retina would be cool, I'm sure it would look great. But I don't see why it's an absolute must have a year from now unless someone else does so and we are talking marketing and I certainly do not care much at all that the ipad2 doesn't have it.

25. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

I'm not disappointed per se, but it is the reason that I am not upgrading for now. Once I put 4.3 on my iPad, I found its performance gains to be sufficient for me for now. Yes I know the 2 is even faster, much faster in certain ways. But the 4.3 update is a pretty dramatic improvement. And I tax my iPad pretty hard (see my signature...)

Once I determined that for me the horsepower gains weren't enough reason by themselves to upgrade, it came down to...what else? The smaller size and lighter weight would be nice. The cameras...fine. But taken together not super compelling.

However, a retina type display, especially fully resolution doubled (4x pixels) as had been rumored, would've pushed me over the edge despite my findings on the horsepower.

So, not disappointed. Just...standing pat.