Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
This is just ****ing insane.

I'm sorry, but who the **** is in charge of quality assurance over there at Apple?

I have had not one or two or three or four but TWELVE clients call me in the past several days wondering what "mach_kernel" was in the root of their Macintosh HD volume. Four of these people managed to blow it away, which immediately rendered their system unbootable.

Seriously, what the ****.

How can something like this get past Apple? I know that the file was unhidden by the 10.8.5 supplemental update, because it has appeared on ALL my Macintosh systems as well.

**** like this really pisses me off, because you've got this kind of crap going on- and then on the other hand, I've got to unhide my friggin' Library folder every ****ing OS update because some ******* in Cupertino thinks I should never have any reason to go into there.

So basically, they care more about hiding irrelevant crap that nobody cared about, rather then the single most important file on your computer (the operating system kernel). Unbelievable.

</rant>

-SC

dastinger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
Totally agree. It's ridiculous how Apple lets this kind of things slip. And while personally I haven't had any issues with 10.8.5, this update is the worst I've seen from Apple (use Macs since Tiger).

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
This is just ****ing insane.

I'm sorry, but who the **** is in charge of quality assurance over there at Apple?

I have had not one or two or three or four but TWELVE clients call me in the past several days wondering what "mach_kernel" was in the root of their Macintosh HD volume. Four of these people managed to blow it away, which immediately rendered their system unbootable.

Seriously, what the ****.

How can something like this get past Apple? I know that the file was unhidden by the 10.8.5 supplemental update, because it has appeared on ALL my Macintosh systems as well.

**** like this really pisses me off, because you've got this kind of crap going on- and then on the other hand, I've got to unhide my friggin' Library folder every ****ing OS update because some ******* in Cupertino thinks I should never have any reason to go into there.

So basically, they care more about hiding irrelevant crap that nobody cared about, rather then the single most important file on your computer (the operating system kernel). Unbelievable.

</rant>

-SC

I agree as well...maybe they got way TOO comfortable...yes?
Quality of the os x is being degrade as each update/upgrade comes out.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I agree as well...maybe they got way TOO comfortable...yes?
Quality of the os x is being degrade as each update/upgrade comes out.

Well, 10.9 is much, much better...but it's what 10.7 should've been from the beginning.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Sweet.
I wonder if adding a . to the file's name will just make it invisible, or as an added bonus, render the Mac inoperable?

Good thing my User Library is still invisible, or I might get myself in trouble. :rolleyes:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Sweet.
I wonder if adding a . to the file's name will just make it invisible, or as an added bonus, render the Mac inoperable?

Good thing my User Library is still invisible, or I might get myself in trouble. :rolleyes:
Changing the file name will render the Mac inoperable.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Just open up a cli terminal and paste this sudo chflags hidden /mach_kernel

It'll be hidden after that.

It shouldn't have happened but it's not catastrophic. It amazes me that people will start deleting files willy-nilly when they have NO KNOWLEDGE of what it does. People need to either take the time to learn, or leave it alone and just use their installed apps. My dad use to tell me "Don't fix it, if it ain't broke". Good words to live by in many cases.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.