Are you ever able to use your MBPr on your lap?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by red321red321, Nov 27, 2013.

1. red321red321 macrumors regular

I find that I cannot, due to mine being too hot all the time. Even under fairly light load, my temp is 60-70 C and the bottom shell gets very hot.

2. Mac.User macrumors 6502

3. sixrom macrumors 6502a

4. codeman7 macrumors member

I can't speak to anything but my new Haswell 15" rMBP base (2.0/8GB/256GB), but mine just barely gets perceptibly warm during light use on my lap. Anything more than light use and I'm likely at my desk, but I've not felt this thing get warm at all.

5. Brandon263 macrumors 6502

Yep, I can confirm that my Haswell 2.3 GHz 15" model stays cool when I'm writing papers and accessing databases online. I have iStat and GPU records around 36 degrees Celsius while the CPU reads around 34 degrees. Definitely usable on my lap. It's much cooler than the previous Ivy Bridge version I used to have.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Everyday. I use it on my bed as well before I sleep (though I use my MacBook Air most of the time now).

7. ktc macrumors newbie

I just felt the bottom of the rMBP which has been on for the past 2-3 hours, and it's actually quite cool (almost cold).

8. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

Well, after reading all the posts in this thread, it seems as though the OP's rMBP has a heat sink problem.

9. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Force the Intel GPU and even with some flash video watching it stays cool enough to use on the lap. Just Internet surfing works fine.
    Obviously starting up handbrake or a game or other software that actually pushes some higher load will fry your thighs (crispy if you salt a little).

I guess the definition of light load may be different. Also keep in mind that the same load on a faster notebook doesn't cause the same heat. My old 2010 15" was under much more stress with the flash of the dailyshow page than the 2013 one. The latter never ramps up the fans for any kind of just flash.
    I assume the same holds true somewhat for the Air and 13" MBP. It will take less actual load to result in uncomfortable temps. At full load (or close) they are all uncomfortable. My 2010 was much less of a problem under full load. Keyboard stayed cooler and the bottom too, though the bottom still was a problem, only the retina manages to heat the metal between the keys uncomfortably. The 2010 didn't do that only above the keyboard where you'd never touch was so hot.

10. vandoorn macrumors regular

Jep, no problem. Working on my 13" as we speak :)

11. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Runs nice and cool unless it's running Flash or Handbrake.

12. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Yeah, I can't see why lap usage would be a problem.

13. joec1101 macrumors 6502

Yep, all the time with my 13" rMBP. The only time I can't is when something else takes priority, like my kitty sitting on my lap. ;)

14. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I've used a variety of laptops on my lap over the years and have always found them more comfortable with a pad under them. Anything from a simple wood tray to a Targus (current solution) pad works better. My cMBP doesn't get extremely hot most of the time but it's warm enough to be less than ideal.

15. marivaux macrumors member

I've actually found that this type of pad is good with laptops:

http://thermapak.com/products/heatshift-laptop-cooler/

I have an older brand called an "ixoft." The advantage is that it sits on your lap without much bulk or interference. You wouldn't necessarily think that it would work, but it does--you do need to give it a break every few hours, because the crystals liquify.

16. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I set a piece of packing form that came with my Tucano sleeve. Its about the thickness of a magazine. My MBP doesn't get hot. I use to have some space between the mac.