Are you going to give up using the wall charger?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dranakin, Sep 19, 2008.

1. dranakin macrumors 6502

With this recall, Oct. 10 is a long time to wait for the replacement charger (even longer if you have to get it shipped from Apple). Not sure if computer charging is the best solution for my lifestyle. Guess I'll have to start charging using my work computer if I can't do it overnight anymore.

EDIT: Powerbook overnight issues, you see, so I can't leave it on just to charge my phone.

2. tombee macrumors member

Just don't unplug it. or remove it _very_ carefully...

3. n8236 macrumors 65816

I have it plugged in at all times since it's next to my bed for overnight charging. I use the cable otherwise to charge since I carry my laptop everywhere.

4. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

I'm in no rush to get a replacement... my charger stays plugged in beside my bed, and even when I unplug it, I don't twist it or anything. It's not like every charger is going to come apart, they just had enough reports to warrant a preemptive recall.

5. Lincx macrumors member

Lincx

couldnt have said it better myself.
    i keep mine plugged into a surge protector. i can just get rid of it if anything. safer than my wall. :cool:

6. jake36wi41 macrumors member

I'll just plug it into my MacBook... oh WAIT, that's in getting repaired right now too. Quality products from this company.... if only their damn operating systems weren't so good...

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I've never used either one that came with my 3G iPhones. I am using the original iPhone adaptor and/or iPod adaptors.

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Considering I have:
    Original iPhone charger
    2 iPod Chargers

I won't be hurting while I wait for the replacement. Besides, you can always charge through your computer.

9. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

I'm using it right now :D

But it's in one of those multi-plug things..

10. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I'm a poor college student... believe me, my iPhone's wall charger is probably one of the safest plugs in my room. I still applied to get the new plug, though.

11. dnguyen macrumors regular

sorry, but what are you guys talking about

EDIT: i see, i did a search, but nothing came up about recalls. then i checked front page of macrumors and i found my answer

12. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Ditto. I already ordered a replacement, but I plan to keep this one as well. It's not something I typically unplug often (ever?) and I seriously doubt the prongs will break off on their own. Besides, it's plugged into an extension multi-plug adapter so if it does break off, it's not big deal.

Really, I should be thanking Apple for the extra adapter.

13. island macrumors 6502

island

Totally agree. I am keeping both for the 2 iPhones we own, and before anyone mentions that they can bill you, they CANNOT.

14. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

i applied for one but ill still use my wall charger, im an electrician so if it snaps off in the outlet itll take 5 minutes out of my life to replace the outlet

15. c43amg macrumors member

Where do we apply for one?

16. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'll continue to use mine, since I'm not too worried about the prongs breaking before Oct 10. I'll just exchange at the Apple Store...

17. Geniusdog254 macrumors regular

Can they bill you, no. But on the confirmation page after you order the new one they say something almost exactly like the following (too lazy to look it up) "It is critical that the faulty charger is returned to Apple. We will include prepaid shipping materials and packaging for the return of the faulty adapter. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused by this recall." In other words, you don't get a free charger. Am I gunna keep using this one till the new one shows up. Heck yes, but am I getting the new one just cause. Heck yes.

18. joshuaaaron macrumors member

im mad that apple didnt email me about this. i had to read about it

19. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

I never unplug mine from the wall, so I don't have any risk of the prongs
    breaking off. I leave it plugged into a power strip all the time. :)
    Of course, I will continue to use it. I think Apple is over reacting (only,
    because their attorneys say there is "liability" involved). The plugs that we
    have right now work just fine. :)

[​IMG]