Are you going to update to 8.3 from previous JB? tempted by watch?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by thadoggfather, Jun 23, 2015.

1. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

Just curious where the JB community stands

I'm increasingly tempted to restore to 8.3, try the watch (thank goodness there's a return policy in case it doesn't work out), and JB once the initial first wave of issues are resolved.

2. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Sounds like a great plan to me. :)

3. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

if only the 42mm space grey sport was in stock at my local store..

4. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I may update the phone, haven't decided; it's stable on 8.1.2. The new iPad is on 8.3 already, but needs a clean install (restored from backup AND updated...not my favorite foundation for a JB), so that will get done--if only for FolderEnhancer. But no sense for me in doing it until Substrate in updated.

The Watch holds absolutely zero temptation for me or my husband, and we're typically early adopters, so that's a bit odd. No way would I lose a JB for it, nor would I update the phone just for that, nor would I run out and buy the Watch now that the JB has arrived. Just no temptation there at all.

But I did time the new iPad's arrival for this week based on the then rumored JB. ;)

5. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

I will update to 8.3 on my ipad Air when substrate issue is fixed.

I have no interest in the watch, though I may be moving back to the iphone with the 6S, hopefully Taig can do this again later this year, because jailbreak is a requirement for me

6. bobright macrumors 601

Im curious what does substrate do? And can't it be updated later on the fly if we've already JB?

7. mikecwest, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015

mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

If Saurik updates Cydia, then yes, you should be able to update it. I have not done the jailbreak yet, so I am not certain if it was installed by the jailbreak. If it was, then you should get an update in Cydia. If not, then you might be able to install it via SSH if needed.

I don't think anyone here doubts that Saurik will update Cydia. From my jailbreak experiences, it seems that he gets an update out within days if not sooner.

If you don't know what substrate does, it has been covered many times on this forum. You should search the forums for it, for a better answer, but basically, Cydia Substrate, is what makes most JB hacks, tweak, etc possible to work. Occasionally, there might a tweak that conflicts with your combination of Cydia/IOS versions. Some of those conflicts can be fixed by Saurik, and the others can be fixed by the developer of the tweak. Sometimes, the developers don't/can't/won't fix their tweaks to be compatible.

An example is the ReachApp, I sent a message to the developer to let him know that the tweak prevented the Discover.app from functioning correctly. The next morning there was an update that fixed it. This developer fixed it right away, but I am sure that not all developers are the same. (He never responded to my email, but I am sure my email made him aware of the issue. It may have been a coincidence, but who knows?)

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Substrate almost does everything when it comes to installing and running jb hacks.
    Yes it can be updated later by using cydia but until it does get an update many extensions and packages will not function on the JB ios 8.3

9. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

The problem is not in Substrate but in the TaiG kernel, so an update of TaiG is needed to get substrate up and running.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good info.
    So we're better off waiting for a TaiG update to fix many of the bugs including the 64 bit itunes issues.

11. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

i doubt they wil give priority to x64 itunes

Many far-east users are stil on older x86 hardware/software, they'd be cutting those out with an x64 only update.
    With x86 you have the largest 'client-base'

Saurik stated they already have the correct patch, just a matter of releasing it either as an new tool or a cydia TaiG update.
    Also Saurik expects substrate to run out of the box on 8.3

Now hope for 8.4.....

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Interesting.
    So what happens to those on 64bit OS's?
    Why not make it work with any itunes version installed like all previous JB's?
    Is there a workaround or we have to remove itunes and install a 32 bit version? That's a pain.

13. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

I haven't tried it yet on my XP VM, but from what if seen it needs adown grade to 12.0.1
    I still have that on my VM, so i'll find out when they release the updated tool :)

14. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

15. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

Updating my 7.1.2 iPhone 5 because tweak support is dying for ios 7 and downgrading my ios 9 iPad to theme it to look like ios 6 lol

16. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

I'm on 8.3 on my 6+

really don't like apple watch, the screen doesn't wow me that much, the contoured back is uncomfortable, and the last notch on the wrist barely fits on my wrist-- i have skinny wrists apparently!

good thing i updated when JB came out! now just going to be stock for a day or two. Maybe waiting until 8.4 too and OTA'ing possible but prolly will restore, maybe not jailbreaking on 8.3 but I'm already missing my tweaks instantly.

stock = good phone
    jailbroken = legendary phone

8.3 should be good with all the random bug fixes too over 8.1.1

17. McBeats macrumors 6502a

did yesterday, still havent jailbroke yet though. several attempts, different errors/hangups. most unsmooth JB experience so far for me. I still have faith, but giving up for a few days til theres more updates/info.

18. thadoggfather thread starter Suspended

thadoggfather

Just jailbroke my 6+ on 8.3 last night using TaiG v2.1.2

Got it all tweaked out, so I restored my retina iPad mini to 8.3 last night as well. Haven't yet jailbroken

So happy :D

Though I'm not complaining for the ride, I had been on 8.1.1 for EVER. Not long after I got my phone in November after trading up my 6 I had since launch

19. Andydigital macrumors regular

Andydigital

My iPad Air 2 is still on 8.1.1 with a load of tweaks and works perfectly, I am not going to bother updating it for the sake of it, I won't gain anything I don't think. My 6+ is on 8.3 JB with most of the tweaks I use, simply because I got the watch a few days before the Taig JB was released ;)