Are you going to upgrade or not

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tttexxan, Jun 9, 2008.

?

Are you going to upgrade to 3G

Poll closed Jun 19, 2008.
  1. Yes

45 vote(s)
    68.2%
  2. No not worth it

20 vote(s)
    30.3%
  1. tttexxan macrumors 6502a

2. typeoserv macrumors newbie

3. Foggy macrumors 6502a

Depends, can I upgrade without a new contract?

It would be worth the upgrade for me to have 3G and I would really quite like the GPS functionality. Would probably shift up to the 16gb version at the same time.

4. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    No, No upgrade for my 16GB version 1 iPhone yet. I don't browse in 3G areas much and prefer my loud, Big Screen Garmin GPS and a metal backed iPhone. WiFi is still faster than 3G for at home browsing. Same camera , screen rez.,software, games and processor as the "New" phone...

5. spriter macrumors 65816

spriter

For me, in the UK, the iPhone contract is minimum £35/m - way too much for me. I can get enough minutes and texts (300/300) for £10/m with 30 day notice to cancel. To run that £10/m SIM I need it unlocked firstly. Then I think of extra features to sway me to pay an extra £25/m to go official - for my needs, I don't see them.

I have no real need for 3G and already have a GPS in the car plus with a total lack of camera improvement (autofocus, flash or 3.2mp perhaps) I'm staying with my 1st gen.

I love the current 3rd party apps like weDict, iChinese, iCosta, fring, Books, sketches, etc, etc. and the all-round ease of use of the phone is great... yes I prefer the metal back but I realise they went plastic to reduce cost.

I realise I miss free EDGE currently on a non-02 SIM but I am fine with WiFi at home, work, friends, plus the non-techies who leave their connections unsecured ;)

For me a £25/m increase for little extra use is not justifiable. That said, if I was a heavy data user, I'd upgrade and go official. If I was thinking of getting one but thought it too expensive, it's not any more.

Good luck to all new purchasers - it's a great phone that just got better.

6. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Nope. Still doesn't have the flexibility/dearth of apps that I want. Camera still sucks, still no MMS, no full Bluetooth capability (Stereo audio, data transfer anyone?), no video capture? Add that to the fact that I can still be far more productive on a physical keyboard and I've got to conclude that my iPhone bucks that I've saved up are going to Espoo instead.

7. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Yes, only because I have a 4GB iPhone and more storage would be greatly appreciated as well as the great price point. I will be coppin my new iPhone on July 11th. I'm either goin to be late for work or take the day off.

8. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

nah. I like my big screened garmin navigation, not much for 3G coverage. I MIGHT have switched if there was a front facing video camera, better quality camera, and MMS.

9. Macjames macrumors 6502a

without a doubt i will, i to will be strangely absent from work on july the 11th

10. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

11. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

No. I am on T-Mo, so 3G is worthless to me.

I could care less about Video Conferencing.

But it would have been nice to get a REAL camera, with video capabilities.

I would have for 32 Gig and GPS, especially at 199/299.

I bet we will see the 32 after Christmas, which will be fine.

Just happy most of that iPhone 2.0 stuff will work on my 16G.

12. Fireman52SFD macrumors member

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO all they added was gps and 3g. that white looks horrible. the 1st gen looks way better.

13. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    And the mostly solid metal of version 1 means dents, instead of cracks in the corner and back casing when you drop it..

14. alywa macrumors 6502

I have a day #1 4GB model... yeah, I'll update to the 16GB. My wife wants my current one, so it's a win-win.

15. Mudcrutch macrumors member

nope, I like the aluminum.

will be waiting for the NEXT iPhone... Until then I am happy.

16. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

Lets see, I sold my old iPhone for $380 after using it for nearly a year... Now I can UPGRADE and get back about $150 or $50ish if I go the 16gb route.

So... 3G, GPS, and double the storage plus about $50 after taxes. HELL YEAH IM UPGRADING!!! :D