are you going to use a screen protector?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Che Castro, Mar 2, 2015.

1. amirite macrumors 6502a

No. It's a watch and I don't wear screen protectors on watches.

Then again I did break the screen of my Withings Activité. Fortunately it was a terrible device so it was actually a little relieving ;)

2. Mr.C macrumors 601

Yes I will. Regardless of the fact it's a watch makes it no different then a phone or tablet. If anything it's more susceptible to scratches.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I would like a screen protector, just hoping some manufacturer will come out with one that is easy to put on and doesn't come off easily. A lot of screen protectors I've used on my iPads and iPhones have started "peeling" at corners, and that will be a big problem on a small screen like the watch.

4. matthijst macrumors regular

5. franzkfk macrumors regular

franzkfk

Absolutely not.

Absolutely not. I don't have them on iPad nor the iPhone. I've tried the Rhino Shiled on iPhone but it was horrible. And since the Apple Watch are with saphire glass there is no reason at all. I have worn watches with saphire and they look like the first day I bought them. The metal strap and the body does not.

But I am bit sceptical about the Sport version. Aluminium is soft and can be scratched very easily. And the're ion-X glass or whatever does not sound strong as the saphire is.

6. gcooldude86 macrumors 6502

No. Sapphire screen shouldn't scratch. I don't use anything on my 6+ and its fine. I take good care of these devices.

7. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

You should be more then fine without one. Im assuming the ION glass on the Apple Watch Sport is just as scratch resistant as the iPhone 6 display, and the Apple Watch and Edition which have Sapphire screens, will be even better!

8. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

Exactly my thinking. The sapphire is easier to shatter, but a screen protector wouldn't help much there anyway. I'm not planning on doing any contact sports with it on.

9. 8CoreWhore, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015

8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

10. MojoRisinSD macrumors regular

Nope. Don't use one on iPad or iPhone either.

11. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

Definitely not the case with the standard and edition models.

12. Mr.C macrumors 601

I disagree. The sapphire glass is NOT scratch proof but scratch resistant. Anyone who thinks that there is no need for a screen protector on a device such as an :apple: Watch, iPhone or iPad is just kidding themselves. I can guarantee there will be scratches on them even if minute.

The only way to prevent this is by using a screen protector. Also if you use a quality screen protector there is very little difference between that and not using one at all in terms of clarity and touch. I have screen protectors on both my iPad and iPhone and can see no noticeable difference.

13. Flow39 macrumors 68000

Flow39

I don't plan on myself using one. My Pebble, which has a plastic screen, has very few scratches on it and I have worn it every day. The Ion-X glass will be stronger than the plastic, so I don't have a concern with scratches.

14. BvizioN macrumors 68040

BvizioN

I never used a screen protector on my phone and never had it scratched. Never mind on the watch.

15. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

Haven't used a protector on my iPhone 6 (it simply destroys the nice feel of the rounded border), and it doesn't have a scratch. Will buy the :apple: Watch steel with sapphire, so it probably won't scratch either (none of my watches have had scratches).

16. mostro900 macrumors member

Totally disagree. I have a Tissot watch, which I have owned since 2006 and wear on a daily basis. The SS bezel is scratched and looks 8 years old. The sapphire face is as good as the day I bought it. I have bumped my watch against brick walls, concrete, etc. and the sapphire is not scratched at all.
    I had never owned a sapphire watch prior to this and I am very impressed at its durability. The Sports edition is not sapphire, but if you take a bit of care with it, I'm sure it will be just fine.

17. Technodynamic macrumors 6502

Technodynamic

no.

I have a sapphire screen on my Movado. 10 years, not one scratch, wear it every day for ten years straight.

18. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Very doubtful I hate the way they make the screens feel. I only used one once on an iPhone 3G. Removed it a few days after putting it on.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

People really need to lose the iDevice mentality when it comes to the Watch.

20. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

:apple: Watch Otterbox ftw.

21. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No. A screen protector will only protect the screen not the body or band. I'm putting mine in a Glad sandwich bag.

Kidding.

Seriously though I'll take my chances. A screen protector on a watch would look supremely dorky and @nal.

22. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

No, there aren't any decent protectors (that actually curve, and don't look like crap) for the rounded iPhone 6 screen.

The Apple watch has the same curved glass.

23. Andropov macrumors regular

Andropov

Sapphire is mostly scratch-proof. It's a 9 in the Mohs scale, with makes it harder than Silicon dioxide (typical beach sand, 7 in Mohs scale), which is one of the main reason regular displays get scratched.

So, unless you're planning to use your Apple Watch near topaz (8), corundum (9), diamonds (10), or boron (9,5), which I highly doubt (those are some of the rarest materials in earth, while silicon dioxide is one of the most common), then a screen protector is absolutely useless.

Anyone that owns a sapphire faced watch will confirm this. You can't scratch sapphire unless you do it purposely.