Are you guys getting dust/dirt in the tiny speaker holes?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chiefroastbeef, Aug 10, 2008.

1. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

Hello,

This isn't an issue at all, but I thought I would share. I just find it funny that there is a speck of white dust in 20% of the holes, it reminds me of larvae in a honeycomb of some sort. :p I've tried shaking and blowing at the holes with the MBP upside down with zero success.

Do you guys have the same problems as I do? Or should I visit a doctor? ;)

beef
    [​IMG]

2. atluten macrumors 6502

Oh most definitely have the same problem. When it first happened I tried to get the dust out with a vacuum cleaner and it wasn't too successful. I've heard that using tape works relatively well. Nowadays, I just don't pay attention to it anymore. But it definitely happens to a significant number of people, if not all.

3. Flyer0815 macrumors 6502

I have used some scotch tape to get the dust out.. works reasonably well. Dont use tape that is too sticky... like box tape. Itl gunk your speaker grill up with stickiness....

4. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

it's apple's new feature...

exfoliate your hands and fingers (any any other part may apply!) by using the patented "cheese grater" grills located on both sides of the keyboard. :p

anyways, tape, a small needle, or compressed air work to an extent.

5. otispunkmeyer macrumors 6502

masking tape works well, and sometimes compressed air loosens some of it and it just falls out.

6. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I think the reason it sticks so much is because of the black foam-like strip :apple: put under the grill to keep dust and dirt out of the speakers... (dur-da-dur) ...is adhered to the inside of the grill with the sticky side toward you. That's why the dust/dirt won't simply fall out.

7. chiefroastbeef thread starter macrumors 6502a

That seems like a good point as well, I wish I would have done something about it when I swapped my harddrives... maybe I'll open it up again. I almost sneeze on my motherboard the last time, I've been a bit hesitant nowadays to open up my MBP. ;) I want no a la snotrocket on my MBP.

8. ohforfckssake! macrumors regular

9. isauce macrumors regular

isauce

I never thought about it, but now I think I'll go find me some scotch tape! :D

10. orangeillini14 macrumors regular

Yeah, I occasionally check my speaker holes but have never tried cleaning them. They haven't been much of a problem yet after two months.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Mine are pretty clean I don't touch the grills, but anyways to clean it I use a tweezer.

12. dannydj macrumors newbie

hi to all first poster here :)

i use my mums dyson vaccum cleaner, the extending arm with brush add on - and it works a treat !!

13. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Wow i never thought of using a vacuum cleaner.

I too have this "occurrence". Not much of a problem.