Are you happy with Apple's current selection of computers?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nick9191, Apr 27, 2009.

?

Are you happy with Apple's current selection of computers?

1. Ecstatic

28 vote(s)
    9.7%
  2. Reasonably happy

132 vote(s)
    45.7%
  3. No, but I get by

88 vote(s)
    30.4%
  4. No, I will not be switching

19 vote(s)
    6.6%
  5. No, I will be switching back to Windows/Linux/etc.

22 vote(s)
    7.6%
  1. nick9191 macrumors 68040

As the title states.

Price, selection, design, features, clones, reliability, anything else you can think of.

This is not just hardware, try to factor in software, which is after all, the most important piece of the puzzle.

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Hardware-wise: Slightly miffed about user-expansion, particularly in the iMac. There really is a need for a mid-range tower.

Software-wise: Can't really complain. Out of the box any Mac is capable getting down to business.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

None of Apple's current products create any sort of desire in me.

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

really? surely you could find some use of a mac pro

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Excessive, expensive overkill.

6. minik macrumors 65816

Yes on the desktop hardware side, I cannot comment on the unibody notebooks although they look solid from the demo units. Apple still needs to update the display line.

Mac mini, iMac, Mac Pro are perfectly fine. Apple should put more efforts on marketing its' AirPort wireless devices.

Software side, I think Apple covers most of the bases.

7. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

The Mac Pro and MacBook Air could stand to be less expensive.

Other than that, the hardware is pretty solid. Although an overhaul of the mini would be nice, too.

8. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Uhh...they just recently did, or were you in a cave? :D

9. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

No, I meant an overhaul - just updating the parts inside isn't an overhaul, it's a revision.

Using desktop processors and 3.5" harddrives, even if it meant a larger enclosure, would make it cheaper to produce and upgrade.

10. L0s7man macrumors 6502

Nope. I need a laptop and unfortunately MBP just isn't it...

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

12. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

What are you looking for?

13. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

No way at all.

The only machines which they sell which I like the look of are the Mac Pro, Mac mini and the white MacBook. The others have all gone down this route of hideous black plastic, and they all look worse than their predecessors. I hate this new look mainly because there is no reason for it. The keys on the new MacBooks could easily have been silver, as could the display rim.

In terms of specs they are pretty disappointing too. There's been a move towards integrated graphics, even in massively expensive desktop machines. That's a bad decision in my opinion, and it only serves to hurt Apple when people discuss their machines.

What the hell is the deal with this mini-Displayport? The industry had virtually settled on HDMI and then Apple comes along in its usual arrogant fashion and tries to change that? It's nonsense - as it stands, the Cinema Display operates using ONLY Apple's hardware and no doubt the other models are going to follow suit.

They recently raised the prices of all of their desktops in the UK which makes them even worse value for money than they were before. They desperately need a consumer level tower which can be upgraded. If I didn't get such a great education discount (17% and free AppleCare) then I'd probably have gone elsewhere.

And honestly? OS X took two steps forward with Leopard and twenty steps back. It's so unstable, buggy and is generally just worse than Tiger. Let's hope they clear that up with "Snow Leopard" because when they said it's a maintenance release it was because it REALLY needs some fine tuning.

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

HDMI is a TV standard that gets thrown on computers for some reason.

Apparantly conformity is a great thing now.

15. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

It's DVI in a different dress, and unlike Apple's implementation of mDP, it includes audio over one cable too. For most users, who don't demand an ultra high resolution, it is superior.

16. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yea the no audio thing is plain stupid seeing as it can actually support it on mDP.

Isnt the argument against apple usually cut from the same cloth? They make things that are for "most users" and we get people on here throwing hissy fits because they cant do x or y now?

17. nick9191 thread starter macrumors 68040

Must point out that the price hikes had nothing to do with Apple.

18. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Um, as far as I know, HDMI couldn't drive Apple's 30" monster, I believe it's past the maximum resolution HDMI supports, which necessitated using Display Port. That being said, I'd have preferred if they'd used regular DP instead of miniDP, at least on the desktops.

19. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Amen

20. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

I'm pretty happy with it, but it's targeted at a select few consumers. Therefore, they need to introduce maybe one or two more lower-end products (comparable to the mac mini) to hit a much broader range of target consumers. Once they can do that, I'll be "ecstatic".

21. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

The mini is interesting but even $599, really? The iMacs, meh, old news. I like the MacBook/Pro styling but hardware wise they are not inspiring (MacBook particularly, crappy screen, no FW). The Air? ha ha! Umm... no. So overall, meh.

To factor in software: Nothing really has changed in 2 or 3 years. Not much new in the way of :apple: software that I am using.

22. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

There's still a massive mark up on the machines though. The exchange rate just gave Apple the justification to raise their prices - let's see if they fall as quickly when GBP gets stronger. I doubt they will.

23. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

For a laptop I'd prefer a 13" MacBook Pro.

For a desktop I want one of the ones Apple doesn't make - from the gaping hole between the mini and the MP. So I still keep my PM G4, while thinking about going the hackintosh route.

24. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

Perhaps a personal finance/checkbook software included in iLife

I need no more than my little Alum Macbook for all of my computing needs. I use it for everything... literally. When my husband wants to play with his flight simulators... then he needs the iMac. Otherwise my Alum MB and his BlackBook do everything we need or want. When I'm out; my iPhone takes over. It is probably a better solution than the cheap "Netbooks" everyone is yapping about. I see no need for something inbetween the iPhone and MacBook. Now that the MB is so light, who needs anything else.

We sync everything with our MacBooks and he also syncs to the iMac. We never have issues with MobileMe. All of our computers print to our wireless printer... it's all good. Everything works seamlessly, flawlessly.

I've added a good bit of software, but for basic needs iLife and iWork have most everything covered. Perhaps a good personal finance/checkbook software included in iLife, that would be nice.

After more than a decade of PC hassles, aggravation, and computer tech costs we are blissfully content and problem free.

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I think their line up is pretty good. Like many others, I would like to see a mini tower added. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like Apple will ever do this.