Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you happy with PPC?

• Yes

Votes: 104 60.8%
  • No

Votes: 31 18.1%
  • I have both

Votes: 34 19.9%
  • Other

Votes: 16 9.4%

• Total voters

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
My PowerBook G4 17-inch has been great to me. I run it on my Dell 20.1" widescreen display and it's awesome. The only problem I had is that my original hard drive died. Thankfully I had all my important data backed up. Also I went from a 4200 RPM drive to a 7200 RPM one. The performance boost was great. :)

Now of course I would love a Mac Pro, but a) can't afford one right now and b) not enough Universal apps are available (Adobe CS3 namely)

eyemacg5

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
Derbyshire, England
I'm fine with my imac g5 last gen, runs things really fast and good for my needs, sometimes it lags a little but i'm sure thats not a processor problem, i doubt it will do it when i upgrade my ram, in the next few weeks.

Oh yeah and i would love a mac pro, with 2 30"s and 2 3ghz dual xeons and 16gb ram etc but that will neverhappen.

-jake

twdawson

macrumors 6502a
My Intel Mac Mini has XP installed on it until i can get universal versions of the programs i use.
I use Photoshop quite a bit so therefore spend most of my time in xp because i just do not like rosetta at all, it is far to slow for my needs.
As soon as these universals are out i will ditch xp from my system.

JHipp

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2005
GA
I'm plenty happy with it, the computer in my sig is still with stock RAM and it's fast enough for me, I really need to get some more RAM just so I can get a WOW THIS THING IS FAST! when I'm editing.

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2006
tristan said:
When you buy hardware that's two or three times as fast as your old computer, you don't expect it to run software at the same speed! But that's exactly what the situation is now, thanks to Rosetta.

That's what i'm talking about. While technically, Rosetta may not be 'emulation', the end result is simular to the situation Apple had when they made the transition to the PowerPC chip.

Not sure if you've priced software lately, but i'm not sure i'd be real eager to 'upgrade' my hardware to the tune of a few grand, just to have the year old software I just paid a grand or more for run the same speed.. or worse yet, spend ANOTHER grand or so for the 'new versions'.

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
very happy. PPCs are some of the best computers i have ever owned. i've owned a LOT. finally moving into intel stuff because of 'want', not 'need'.

can't imagine a better everyday/work system than my dual 1.8 g5. for a portable i prefer and use a g4 ibook for the kitchen/backporch/couch computer. dead silent, not hot, easy to clean, and tough as nails.

good stuff!

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I'm not happy at all with my iBook G4's speed. I need speed for video encoding, photoshop and such so I'm soon going to sell it and move to an intel MacBook Pro. Although it is weird that whenever I run transmission on my intel iMac it slows it to a crawl... Although I'm going to get myself an older powerbook (867MHz or higher if I can afford it after getting the MBP) for menial tasks like bittorrent or encoding when I have to go to school.

twdawson

macrumors 6502a
I am not happy with the Intel version of osx. I just does not feel as snappy as the PPC version.
It seems alot more buggy and i find myself having to use the "Force quit" option alot more than i ever did.

I wish my Imac G5 never went wrong because i never had a problem until it packed up.

ddekker

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2006
Michigan
Ppc

pretty much the powermac 17 with a gig of ram is fast enough for most things, one thing that is painfully slow compaired to the intel versions and Windoze.

DD

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
I have a 1 ghz tibook with 1 gig ram and a superdrive. I'm very happy with performance for my normal stuff like websurfing, music, iphoto, garageband. I do want to rip dvds and I know that intel would help me out amazingly. Luckily, I work in a lab full of intel iMacs so I'm fine. I just WANT an isight, a more durable enclosure, and most of all the ability to move from OS X, Windows, and Linux whenever I want.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Mac Mini > Dual Core 2.0Ghz G5!

'nuff said :D

Alright, that might not have been entirely true a statement, but for the cost of a G5 PM you can probably buy 3 x 1.66Ghz Minis, so I have no doubts that 3 machines will smoke the G5 and still have leftover horsepower for you to flaunt it in style :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.