Are you happy with the new Mac pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Sceneshifter, Jan 9, 2008.

?

Are you happy with the Mac Pro update?

1. Yes

111 vote(s)
    89.5%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. Don't care

8 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. Sceneshifter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

Just curious! And please state also what you are using it for, to get a feel of the targetted audience here on the forum :)

I made no poll because you have to comment anyway!
    :apple:

[mod note: poll added, will save on a lot of one word posts just saying yes or no. people can comment further if they wish]

2. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

I want one. Still figuring out what to buy for my photoshop needs.

3. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

The new machines are pretty much exactly what I expected to see. I wouldn't have been shocked if it had Blu-Ray, but I'm also not surprised that it doesn't. I ordered a 3.2GHz with an 8800 and 8GB of RAM today which will replace my current dual 2.7 G5 liquid cooled PowerMac.

I'm eager to finally get an Intel based desktop because I'll be able to run vmware/parallels instead of the tragically awful virtual pc for g5 that shipped with MS Office 2004. I also plan to carve out a small XP partition for BootCamp for the occasional Windows game.

My bread and butter, though, is PostgreSQL database development and hacking and I expect I'll be able to make pretty good use of all eight cores when coding and optimizing for large, complex databases.

I also dabble with Final Cut Studio, but only recreationally. I've been modestly frustrated by the performance of the PowerMac in this area and I'm looking forward to better performance. Maybe I'll finally be able to move from iPhoto to Aperture too.

Plus there's x-plane 9 on the horizon.

All in all I'm really looking forward to using the machine, I'm quite pleased with what Apple has released, and the next "3-5 weeks" wait is going to be frustrating.

4. G4DP macrumors 65816

Will be happy next week when it Arrives from Ireland.

CS3 Master Collection. Finally get to use After Effects etc.

5. oceanzen macrumors regular

oceanzen

I would've liked a Blu-Ray Burner option.

But otherwise yes I'm happy

6. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

My video camera is HDV, and this 8-core 2.8 should finally make me less squeamish about transferring tapes into FCE and editing them. Rendering should be a breeze.

My girlfriend is an actress and we will also rip all of her work and archive it digitally.

I have a large library in Aperture (mostly RAW images) and it is growing by the day. I also frequently use Photoshop CS3 on these images.

I plan to import my DVDs and toss the physical media.

Other than that, fairly low-demand usage like most of us...email, Safari, iTunes, Cyberduck, iWork, Office, iLife, etc.

I am thrilled with the new Mac Pro. I understand why Nehalem will be a big step forward, but I also expect much better multi-core support from OS X in the near future (Jan. 15th?) and in the longterm from most of the Pro and Semi-Pro apps that I use on a regular basis. Also grateful that Jobs & Co. chose to go with the 1600MHz FSB and better graphics offerings. Also glad that I didn't have to pay for an expensive and slow BluRay burner with cheap fast ones just around the corner.

While there is no reason for 2.66 Quad owner to wince, this is a very substantial upgrade and I am thrilled that I waited for this release. Fantastic job Apple!

7. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

I must admit, thinking back to the G5 -> original Mac Pro intro launch, I thought the pricing would either remain the same or go down slightly.

However, it's still a hell of a deal, and at least the bluetooth, an extra gig of RAM, and a larger hard drive are now integrated into the purchase price, so you *are* getting something extra for your extra money.

I'm adding an extra 4 gigs from OWC to get me up to speed quickly (and a total of 6 gigs should keep me running nicely for a VERY long time!)

As for what I'll be using it for - primarily Photoshop/Lightroom and recording my own music at home. Of course I'll be running all the usual apps as well (internet stuff, word, utilities, etc.)

I'm also a first time Mac owner :)apple: "switcher"), and couldn't be happier that after all this time, I'm finally getting myself free from the shackles of windows (and wondering why the hell I didn't do it sooner....:eek:)

This has been an awesome forum to learn about Macs in general, and of course I intend to stay around a long time :)

-Bryan

8. fernmeister macrumors regular

Very satisfied with what Apple have dished up.

Mine will be almost exclusively used for running Logic Studio and related plugins, with a little photo editing on the side.

9. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I think your right. I guess I should just wait until the next Mac Pro update and make do with upgrading the graphics card and RAM on my current computer to the 8800 GT.

10. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I intend to replace my G5 later this year, so a case redesign would have been nice - just so that people can see that I've got a new mac! However, the current case is about as good as it gets, so overall I'm very impressed.

11. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

I say No because looking at the performance charts on Apple's Website for Mac Pro Performance it's saying (for the applications that I use most) that the new Mac Pro 3.2GHz is only 1.1x-1.5x faster than my current Mac Pro Octo 3.0Ghz.

To me that isn't enough for me to sell everything and buy a new system and RAM to replace the previous models specs.

Now if I was a waiter, i.e. been using a G4 or G5, than hell yeah, I would go ahead a buy one but for me a 1.1x-1.5x speed bump over my system isn't enough for me to jump on the bandwagon and purchase a new system.

~Crawn

12. fernmeister macrumors regular

That sounds fair. After all, there's seldom been a compelling reason to jump for one generation of change in any of the pro Mac machines (workstation or notebook).

13. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

For me, the update was actually perfect.

While I would have loved a new case design, BluRay, and other stuff, such a beast would have been a Gen A product of sorts. And I'm simply too scared to run my business from a Gen A machine.

I'm upgrading from a Dual G5 Powermac, so it's going to be pretty substantial.

14. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

The new Mac Pro is almost exactly what I expected.
    The Harpertown processors are pretty much right on.
    I was hoping that the bto card would be the 8800 GT. That was right on also.
    The GTX is old technology and the HD3870 is just plain not good enough. So I am relatively happy.

15. malenfant macrumors member

If I decide I need a Blu-ray burner, I'll just pick up one of Sony's new models (just announced at CES) and install it myself. It'll probably be cheaper than Apple's option, anyway.

16. reetcher macrumors member

little confused

First I'm very happy the wait is over!!!, although I am confused about a couple of things. If not SFMW why wait the 8 days past 12/31/07? It's a workstation not a gaming machine everyone exclaims then why not understand the business buying cycle? This has been true of every business I've been in government or private budget deadlines create the ability to purchase.

Second no display upgrade? with the Applecare warranty it would be nice to buy both together & the ACR needs an upgrade.

Maybe I was hoping for too big of a jump (in the media war) but seeing that EVERYTHING is done digital the need for a redundant archival system is very much needed. yes everything goes on multiple exterior hardrives but having data on a different media such as Blue Ray would surely allow a lot of people who use the workstation professionally the ability to sleep at night.

I use it for photoshop, archiving, printing, web, office, & surfing

17. timestamp macrumors 6502

I am going to wait for MW to make a decision on my display. I will most likely go for the 30" ACD... but I am still on the fence. If it was going to be a price drop it would have been yesterday, which means it will see an update at MW or nothing at all. I hope they are updated.

Teezie, you are going for dual 23"s right?

18. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

19. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

ErikAndre

Who's to say that Apple isn't waiting till MWSF08 to release the Blu-Ray option? Wouldn't they want to explain it first before releasing?

Also, I'm thinking they'll also announce new displays with camera and hopefully offer an "Apple Remote" option that comes with it to provide incentive to purchase it.

20. Og Oggilby macrumors regular

I'm very happy that I purchased the 2007 Mac Pro instead of waiting!

Waiting 6 months to gain a 1.1 to 1.3 speed increase wouldn't have been worth it. I just ordered the 8800 GT which will resolve the slow video problem.

21. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Flash and Photoshop CS3, Boot Camp gaming/virtualisation, plus day-to-day stuff.

Octo 2.8 with Airport on le way, will get the 8800 later if I deem it necessary.

Yes before I've even used it :) because since giving up my CD iMac for something portable for university, until now I've been using a mid 2007 MaaaaarghBook. VMWare KILLS it. I've ordered 4GB ram for it though.

22. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

23. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

Same here... the speed increase is minimal. As far as the video cards... I will upgrade when Apple & RED starts supporting NVidia as far as Color, Motion & RedCine work is concerned. I'll also upgrade to SAS drives when Seagate comes out with the new ones. The feature I like the most in the new Mac Pro's is the PCI Express 2.0 slots. I already have my video card running reduced at 8x, Mac Pro RAID Card at 8x and HD captured card at 8x... and one slot left over at x1. With the new Mac Pro's I could run most of my cards at full speeds.

24. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

The only thing I dont like is the delay for the 8800GT. Otherwise this machine has everything I've been waiting for

25. alexm13 macrumors member

very happy...

well, i've been waiting for this update, for sooo long. I had to buy a 24" iMac 2 months ago to hold me over. So now i just need to sell my imac, and decide wich graphics card to put in the mp. im gonna be using the machine for final cut studio 2. Which card does anyone recommend? i was thinknin the 8800GT, but im not sure. Other than that, order two 4GB dims from OWC, and a 30" Dell Display :)