Are you happy with the new Mobile Me services?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by soup4you2, Oct 6, 2008.

?

Are you satasfied with Mobile Me?

1. Yes i'm satafied with the new services.

54 vote(s)
    58.1%
  2. No, bring back .mac

29 vote(s)
    31.2%
  3. Undecided / Never used it.

10 vote(s)
    10.8%
  1. soup4you2 macrumors regular

Since :apple: switched to the new Mobile Me services over .Mac I've had nothing but issues. From the IMAP server being constantly inaccessable, unable to use the webmail at work. (where i need it most), and it's very slow.

Just currious what are other peoples thoughts about this supposed "upgrade" we received.

2. crobbins macrumors 6502

I've not had any problems..I really enjoy it.

3. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

DotMac was a big rip-off by the time Mobile Me came.

I want Apple to fix the email outage issues that MM has, and the other problems that others seem to have (or cause on their own) but there is no way in hell .Mac functioned better than MM or was actually worth the price.

4. techpr macrumors 6502

techpr

I like it

I use all the services MM offer, iDisk, Gallery and Calendar are the ones I use a lot. Then the Contacts and Email last.

My only issue is the lack of full SSL in the web app.

5. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

A big rip off compared to the .mac service

the only reason I keep it is to sync my mac & iPhone, I abandoned the rest of the features as I hate the new name and it makes me less mobile than .mac

bring back .mac or let me fully use my mac email address

6. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

What are you on about? How was .mac better (in other than name)?

7. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

There is an option missing - like what they are trying to do but wish it worked better.

I *really* like all of the non-Mail stuff and find it works great, better than .Mac ever did and to the point where I am using the features more than ever. Webmail, however I have had nothing but problems with - to be clear, I use Mail.app on the Mac side for my MM mail, but always used to use webmail from the PC. That has given me loads of troubles with funky refreshes, inability to delete mail, and other weirdness. I ended up dumping it into Outlook Express on my various PC's ...

8. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I have no idea. The fact that webmail was the only thing you could access over the net was a rip-off. iDisk was garbage and syncing was sporadic and a big mess.

Now I can actually be "mobile" since I don't have to have my machine with me all the time to use ALL of the features MM offers. I even got back to my mac working here and there on some cheap routers.

9. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

I can tell you for one thing the webmail w/ .Mac was WAY better, this new garbage only works 70% of the time which is bogus. I had no problems w/ the iDisk storage. They should have left .Mac as it was and just updated it to include the new features MobileMe offers. .Mac was a good service when it first came out but really needed to be updated to say the least.

10. XianPalin macrumors 6502

XianPalin

I'd never used .Mac before, but decided to give MobileMe a try when I got an iPhone 3G, but haven't been very happy with it. My idea was to use it as a replacement for text messaging (my girlfriend can basically text message an email address on her sprint phone and my replying to it sends her a text) so I don't go over my 200 limit, but I quickly found how unreliable "push" was on it. I use it for contact syncing, but that's about it now, and even that I don't really need.

The real thing that irked me was getting it all setup and ready to go and then finding it didn't work with an Exchange setup, when nothing I'd seen said anything about that (though I believe they've just updated the Control Panel thing to warn you now)

11. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Main reason it was better is that it actual made me mobile and allowed me to check my email anywhere where there was a web browser

mobile me is not, apple has made this awful slow website which only works properly on Safari/FireFox, for me I want a basic service I can use everywhere, not something which tries to replace the native apps

iDisk was poor in .Mac, but its just as bad in MM, just painfully slow

You seem to love it I hate it, but it works fine (although expensive) as a background app to sync my iPhone

12. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I'll be first to admit I had serious problems with MobileMe when it was first released.

The whole service has improved a hell of a lot and right now everything works for me. Mail, Contacts and Calenders sync as expected.

The MobileMe name is still ugly, but since I can use my ****@mac.com address I am OK with that.

However, as always, YMMV.

13. TLewis macrumors 65816

Adequate

For me, it's merely adequate.

I'm using it mainly for the push contacts and push calendar, and for the multi pc/mac sync. For these, MM has been very reliable, except for the very rare contacts corruption, which clears up by itself (knock on wood :eek: ).

While I do use the MM push email, I only use it as a "you have important/urgent gmail" alarm. Yes, gmail -- I still use gmail as my email account, and use the gmail server-side filtering to autoforward important/urgent mail to MM, which then acts as a somewhat-reliable mail alarm. The beauty of this is that, if MM push email gets really unreliable, I can switch push email providers without really affecting anything. My email address stays the same, and my iPhone still makes the same "you have important/urgent gmail" noises. And, if MM should get really unreliable, I can probably dump them for nuevasync. I'd lose the multi pc/mac sync, though.

14. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Last night webmail was DOWN for the second night in a row...today it was working fine....until I had an important email to send. Then it decided not to let me send it....kept failing to send. I've got it saved as a draft....sigh

15. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

So I went back & tried to send it for the 20th time today....FAIL!

Enough is enough, so I popped over to the FREE Hotmail service and what do you know....it worked the FIRST time I tried.

I should add that I had a 3.5mb attachment....and it was a WMA music file...oooh, was it the Microsoft attachment that caused the problem? =\

How is that acceptable for a $99 annual service?????
    I know its not their only service but its a part of it and the bottom line is the MobileMe webmail function = JOKE....a bad one too.

weak

16. BikeRanger macrumors newbie

None of the above

Not satisfied with MobileMe, don't want to return to DotMac.

17. brendon2020 macrumors 6502

i find it pretty much the same just with a new horrible name and i guess we got more space.

18. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

i really have enjoyed MobileMe.

There have been times that I have gotten very aggravated with the availability of the services, but I think that it is a good service overall. I use it to keep my computer and my iPhone synced up, but if I didn't own both a mac and an iPhone, I'm not sure I would be paying for the service.

it is $100 a year which is hard to justify for a personal e-mail account, but now that i have it, i was able to cancel my web hosting agreement through another company. I was paying about $70 a year to have the web site hosted somewhere else and to pay $30 more to have all the MobileMe features was a no brainer. I would like to see more of a commitment from apple to maintaining uptime, but i also realize that the service is in its infancy.

19. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

Also, i think this page is bullhockey. There should be at least some web interface from the iPhone or iPod Touch. Even though I understand that the iPhone doesn't have any real file management to upload stuff to my iDisk, I would like to be able to manage the files that are already there. I would also like to be able to make a new album that I am uploading pictures to, so i don't have to VNC into my mac and open iPhoto or log into MobileMe just to create a new album.

Attached Files:

20. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

MobileMe has improved lately...

In my experience lately, MobileMe has been working like a charm. I thought I should add this since the last time I posted here it was driving me nuts. Here's to it remaining stable & actually working like it should in the future. :)

21. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I never had an issue with Mobile me. I had Dot mac Previously and the upgrade never really mattered to me that much. So all in all. I guess it's pretty good.

22. Maxington macrumors 6502

Once they got all the bugs worked out of my account it works great, but in the beginning with the conversion to MobileMe from .mac they removed one of my subaccounts and then couldn't not re-add it back... Took about 3 weeks of calls/emails and finally it got fixed.

But since no major issues at all and I am happy.

23. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

I just wish that Apple would create a version of webmail that would work with IE 6, because most of the computers a my school use IE 6 still, so it's a major pain in the ass to email projects from home so I can work on them at school.

Don

24. Digital Dude macrumors 6502

Digital Dude

Arizona where freedom still means something
    2-cents

MobileMe is by far the most lack lustrous incarnation ever. I’ve been a .Mac subscriber since day one although I have never really exploited its full capability. However, I really liked the greeting and birthday cards but that’s gone too! Accessing Mail is slow and the other features are good in concept but as of this writing, it has proven to be Apples’ VISTA. Still, it is required for a multitude of reasons so I’ll just wait like everyone else until Apple can somehow make the online experience more practical.
    Regards,
    ~DD