Are you happy with your 13 inch rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by forza69, Dec 3, 2012.

1. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

Are you? I really can't decide what to get. I like all the machines e.g. Mac Mini, MBP, iMac, but I just I cant decide which to get. The one I want the most is the 15 inch rMBP but that's just way too expensive. I'm looking at the 13 inch retina but I don't know if the price is too high for the specs it gives you. The iMac is nice but I don't really want a desktop anymore. And the Mac Mini is nice, but having to buy all of the peripherals for it is kind of a drag and you end up spending pretty much the same as if you were to get either a desktop or laptop. So back to my original question, if you bought the 13 inch retina MacBook Pro, are you happy with it? Do you regret purchasing it? Or are you completely satisfied with it?

Also, I really wouldn't be using the computer for anything crazy. Mostly what I'll be doing is web surfing, email, streaming, music, light gaming e.g. Emulators for old games, and the occasional photo editing. The reason that I want a retina display and are willing to spend so much money, is because I want something that's going to last a long time and not have to replace it in a few years, or if I do want to replace it at least I'll know that the resale value is still fairly high.

2. houttbe macrumors member

Yes it's a wonderful machine and the display is just a joy to look at. That being said, it's on the expensive side. The 13" Air is almost as good, a bit lighter & thinner and quite a bit cheaper. So if you want to be rational the Air is probably a more sensible choice. But if you want to indulge yourself the retina is a treat.

3. forza69 thread starter macrumors 6502a

forza69

It probably shouldn't even matter for the type of user that I am, but I can't get over that 1.8 GHz processor that's in the MacBook air, that's pretty much the only reason that's keeping me from buying it.

4. whg macrumors regular

whg

I really like the 13" retina, but I would not recommend it as your only computer. If you can afford to spend a little bit more, go for the 15" retina. This is what I would get if I could only have one Mac. If I could not afford the retina, I would go for the 15" classical hires non-glossy. I had one before the retina.

If portability is a must, the 13" is hard to beat. Before the 13" retina I had the 13" Air. I think that the performance is very close between the 13" models. I would not base my decision on this.

5. lightz39 macrumors regular

I was looking at getting the 13" until I realized it didn't have the dedicated video card. Thats just TOO much of a hit for the price of the thing IMO. See if upgrading the processor on the air is cheaper than a stock 13" retina.

6. Wokis macrumors regular

Gigaherts are a bad measure of performance, as is core count. As far as clock frequency goes, though, the MBA i5 is speeding up to 2.6GHz (on both cores) when needed. Might get resort to a lower freq. if iGPU is under heavy load since it's also contributing towards the total 17W TDP.

7. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

Love mine. The retina display is amazing and I wouldn't want to go back. The 15 inch is too big and I know I wouldn't carry it around much but the rMBP is only a little thicker and heavier than the 13" Air it replaced. Yes its pricey but well worth it.

8. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

What he said

9. isephmusic macrumors 6502

if you go to a gym even just twice a year a 15 inch is not bad to carry to school and back. i keep thinking about going smaller but thats what a tablet is for. when u need to come with a shotgun not some mini hand pistol ;]

10. apparition47 macrumors newbie

Agreed. The 13" size is the best compromise for me. The workspace can be quite small if you're stuck at your desk, so an external display is definitely recommended. That's my setup anyhow.

11. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

Keep in mind the 1.8ghz processor in that thing is about 75% faster than my desktops q6600 2,4 ghz quad core. It's not a slouch.

12. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

I love it, and it does a great job as my only computer. Also, from your post, sounds like we use the computer for similar tasks.

13. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Only reasons I wouldn't get one: Dim display and horrible graphics performance. At least the 15" has the NVIDIA GT650M to lean back on. The Intel HD4000 is always going to be strained pushing that high of a resolution, regardless of what you're doing.

14. lwilliams macrumors regular

lwilliams

I love it. Been using it for three days. I am a power user. I am an IT Manager and uses lots of powerful PCs all day - every day.

Coming from Windows servers, desktops and laptops....I used a MBA 13.....then got the rMBP 13. WOW! You will not regret it.

A coworker just got the non-retina MBP 15. Too big, too heavy. I think the 13 is the best thing to have UNLESS it is your only computer.

In the home I have a Windows Server running i7-3770K at 4.7 gHz, with 18tb storage......but all the machines that connect to it are Macs!

The Mac Pro just costs way too much to set up as a server.

Back to your question.......GO FOR IT. That Retina display makes it worth the price....and the battery life is just as good as the MBA....the machine is all solid state as well.

Also, the display is NOT dim...it can blind you when turned all the way up.

15. JellyFish macrumors regular

Yeah, I'm very happy with mine. I love using it. The form factor is great. It's light enough to port around, but the screen is big enough to be comfortable to use.

16. techluvr macrumors regular

Just got mine today, upgrading from a mid 2010 13 inch model. The design is an evolution of the older one - they look very similar on first glance, especially when closed. The screen is dazzling - IPS is a big contributing factor to this, I think, because you can actually read at an angle now as opposed to it being washed out to the point of illegibility. VERY fast as well compared to my old one. I like it a lot and it's my only computer.

17. paepcke macrumors member

I really miss the 16GB RAM option an the powerful GPU from the 15" rMBP. But the 15" is to bulky. The 13" rMBP is even a little bit smaller than my 13" Air. A real everyday notebook.

:apple: The 13" rMBP is really great for office, reading, internet. My eyes love it while reading long text, less headache during reading long text = more life quality.

:apple: It´s great for photography.

:apple: It´s fast.

:apple: It´s totally silent.

I will never go back to non-retina. Worth every penny.

I really love my new 13" rMBP!

18. KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

What size SSD would you buy with the 13" rMBP? If you decide that you need the 256GB SSD, the price difference between the 13" and 15" models is only $200. For that you give up the discrete GPU, the quad-core processor, the larger display and a lot of pixels. That doesn't seem like a good trade-off.

If you decide that you don't need the 256GB SSD which comes with the base 15" model, the $500 price difference over the base 13" rMBP might be a very good reason to go with the 13" model.

19. dlubis macrumors member

dlubis

Yes! Just got mine yesterday, upgrading from a mid 2011 MacBook Air 13-inch model, the display and the size are amazing!

20. w00tini macrumors 6502a

not true. mine pushes the retina display & two 27" Cinema displays at the same time with no sweat.

21. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

True. There's lag on the desktop on all the sample Macs at the Apple Store. Stop deluding yourself.

22. Haifisch macrumors regular

Factor in the educational discount and the 15" is only $100 more. Although I'm thrilled with my 15", I'd be lying if I didn't say I love the form factor of the 13".

23. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Best computer ever made, the 13 and 15 rmbp's

24. judethat macrumors 6502

judethat

Very happy with my 13 retina - display is amazing and got a great deal on it from a store that is closing down in the UK so got 20% off.:)