Are you happy with your iPhone 7/7 Plus purchase?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Black Magic, Sep 27, 2016.

Are you happy with your iPhone 7/7 Plus purchase?

Poll closed Aug 27, 2017.
  1. I am pleased with my purchase. Wouldn't change a thing.

2. Still undecided.

3. I would have done things differently.

1. Black Magic macrumors 68000

Black Magic

Sep 30, 2012
    Knowing what you know now after having the phone for a bit, are you please with your purchase or would you do things differently? Vote and discuss.
  2. F1Fan macrumors member

Apr 11, 2011
    Washington State
    I am pleased. Not blown away, but pleased. I'm coming from an iPhone 6 Plus for context.

1. The camera is indeed better (I use an advanced SLR, so the details of the camera matter to me and are the reason I opted for the Plus more than the screen size).
    2. It definitely feels faster - whether it's the A10 vs the A8 processor, or the extra 2GB of RAM, things happen a lot faster.
    3. I actually like the 3DTouch. (Which I did not have on my previous phone - or Live photo for that matter - or 4K video). I know many do not use it, but I always thought, looking at people with the 6S/6S Plus's, that if I had it, I would actually use it, and I do.
    4. Played some music on it today, and the speakers are definitely noticeable. Very good sound. Oddly, I didn't notice much increase in volume when using speakerphone, however.
    5. Often times, while taking a shower is when I think of my ideas, and remember my "to do list" items. I then tell myself that when I get out, I'll write it down, but I always forget - now I can take my iPhone into the shower. Listen to music/podcasts, etc, and just things down in "Things" as soon as I think of them.
    6. I actually came to like the lack of a push down home button - it feels very tight now. Kind of like comparing the buttons in a low end Chrysler compared with an Audi. The lack of travel feels like it's more sealed, or refined. I don't know. Can't really explain it, but I actually like it.
    That's what comes to mind for now. And if I had a 6S Plus, I'm not sure I would notice as much of a difference.

Having said that, yesterday I went somewhere planning to bring my headphones to listen to the debate while doing some work. As soon as I got there, pulled my headphones out of my pocket, got ready to hook them up and "DOH"! Totally forgot I have no headphone jack, and I didn't bring my Bluetooth headphones (Beats Powerbeats by the way - don't really like them much, find myself grabbing my Apple In-Ear headphones more often).
    So first time I had to deal with that reality, but I'm probably going to buy some new headphones soon anyway, will probably get lighting wired ones.

Hope that helps!
  3. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Jul 12, 2016
    Love my iPhone 7. The speakers, home button and speed of performance are my favorite upgrades at this point. I am still waiting for my 7 Plus to arrive.
  4. xlovepink88x macrumors member

Sep 8, 2016
    I came from the 6S. I upgraded to the 7 Black 128gb.

I really don't understand how people are complaining about all these issues about the screen not being noticeably brighter or the speakers being louder. I can tell a huge difference in the screen brightness and the speakers, the speakers are crystal clear and LOUD AND THE COLORS Just POP! I'm definitely happy that I went with the 7 and not the plus since people seem to be having the most problem with the plus's!
  5. jdmar2004 macrumors member

Mar 26, 2010
    Coming from a 6, speed is a lot better, camera is great, love the new home button, and 3D Touch is great. I also enjoy the little bumps here and there when interacting with iOS by the Taptic Engine. I'm also glad it's water resistant bc I often am working outdoors and get caught in the rain. Now I won't have to make a mad dash to put my phone in my truck.
  6. Black Magic thread starter macrumors 68000

Black Magic

Sep 30, 2012

Didn't it come with lightning wired ones?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2016 ---
    What made you buy both versions?
  7. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

Jun 9, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    Happy with mine but my upgrades every year are free
  8. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Jul 12, 2016
    I purchased the 4.7 iPhone outright, it's a tradition I do every year during be preorder. And it so happens, my carrier upgrade was due a day after the preorder, so I took advantage of my upgrade with the 7 Plus, which is consequently delayed. So I guess I get to enjoy the best of both worlds.
  9. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Oct 16, 2007
    United States of America
  10. rews macrumors regular

Jun 24, 2013
    Nottingham, England
    IMG_6997.JPG Pretty happy. Coming from a 64gb silver 6, and went for the 128gb matte black 7. The new/no home button feels great and I think the Taptic feedback throughout the OS is a nice feature and adds to the overall user experience. Cameras (front facing and rear) are much better, screen looks great, 3D Touch (a feature my 6 lacked) has surprised me in how much I use it, stereo speakers and water/dust resistance also very much welcomed (especially for listening to podcasts or music whilst showering)

Only had it since Saturday so can't really comment on battery life as yet. Also, the phone itself looks really bad ass in matte black.
  11. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Oct 14, 2013
    I think I'm happy, but there's still time for me to return it.

- Loving the home button
    - Nice to see Apple have swallowed their pride and made the iPhone is now much more "Androidy"
    - The GIFs in messages has kept me endlessly entertained

- Lack of 3.5mm is a pain
    - Very buggy software
    - Notifications are still a mess. I've missed so many emails/texts in just a few days
  12. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Jul 12, 2016
    How is The missing 3.5 jack a 'Pain', knowingly you purchased it, even with the adapter provided?

I have not noticed any major flaws in iOS 10 as of yet. And the notifications are consistent from my view, but yes, it appears similar to Android. The notifications are bloated to me versus how discreet they were in iOS 9.
  13. Sunny1990 Suspended

Feb 13, 2015
    I do like the new flagship color and new haptic home button+dual speakers the camera is not a big concern for me (i take a lot less Pictures) i have always purchased plus models before but going for regular size this year
  14. DUIduckSAUCE Suspended

Sep 12, 2016
    I'm very pleased with my matte black 7. Coming from a 6s plus, I am really liking the smaller form factor.
    My 7 plus jet black is another story. It suffers from machining defects and the hissing problem. It will be going back.
  15. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2008
    Bostonian exiled in SoCal
    Love my jet black 7. I'm coming from a 6, and it's the first time I've skipped a generation, so the difference is profound.

I love 3D Touch, the haptic engine, and the non-button is growing on me (I wasn't against it, it just took some adjusting). I also love the better camera, and am so happy the FaceTime camera is finally acceptable! The upgrade in speed and RAM is very noticeable, even though I don't play intense games.

And last, but not least, the jet black is gorgeous.

So, yes, I'd buy it all over again, no question.

*The one thing I'd change is bringing the Plus' dual lens and portrait mode to the 7. The Plus is simply too large for me to handle comfortably for any length of time (I have some mobility issues), so I miss out on the camera goodies. Hopefully, they'll be added to the smaller model next year, like Apple did this year.
  16. Mansali macrumors member

Sep 24, 2013
    Am undecided. I have had my jet black for over 24 hours and have yet to open the box. Still thinking things through (i.e. matte black vs jet black, case vs naked etc, how to open the jet black box, should I even care if it scratches etc) before I make up my mind. Will return to apple if I decide of an alternative, however thats unlikely.
  17. lordofthereef, Sep 27, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2016

lordofthereef macrumors G5

Nov 29, 2011
    Boston, MA
    So, I think something can still be a pain, or annoying, even if you purchase it knowingly.

I know this is a car example but hear me out. We bought a Ford Fiesta about five years ago (fun little car) and for whatever reason lock/unlock and all such controls that are normally on the door are in the center console lumped in with the stereo controls.

Now, we knew this when we bought it. And even after five years of using it I still reach for the door. Everything else I've driven and been in since (and prior) had these controls in the door. So in this way I'd call this a pain. And in the case of this specific vehicle in not even sure why they went that direction. Perhaps it's because the car was originally released in the British market and, come to think of it, I think pre 2015 mini coopers also do this.

But anyway, it's a point that some people care about. You've made it clear you don't. And that's fine. I'm doing a little test wth my wife's adapter and taking it to the gym. If it holds up like other Apple cables I doubt I'll get three months use out of it. So that is a potential concern for me, but I obviously can't say anything conclusively. There's also the fact I can't plug into power in the treadmill or elliptical, but that I can live without. It was more something I got used to (why drain battery when I don't need to?) than a necessity.
  18. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Jul 12, 2016
    Fair enough. And that's correct, the adapter is nothing more than a work around. I think it will be an adjustment period for while until Bluetooth has saturated the market, Offering a product that can appeal to everyone. I'm interested in the Airpods this October. I think they will do really well.

And as for the adapter, if it does break when going to the gym or what have you, at least it's affordable for $9.00.
  19. lordofthereef macrumors G5

Nov 29, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I'd honestly prefer to wait for a third party, if at all possible. This horse has been beaten to a pulp but I just don't find Apple cables durable. Maybe I abuse them. Maybe I misuse them. Everything else apple is lovely. Their cables I don't even open anymore lol. The exception is the Apple Watch. Because I don't even know if I can find s third party cable. But I will say I got a rubberized dock specifically because I don't even want to touch the cable. They melt under my super powers. :p
  20. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Jul 12, 2016
    I tend to baby all my electronics and accessories. But Apple's cables use this soft, Almost silicone like material and it does not hold up well to porous surfaces or bends. Although, they feel premium in the hand, which most prefer durability.

And your correct, I have not seen an inductive third party for the Apple Watch.
  21. Mildredop macrumors 68020

Oct 14, 2013
    Not being able to plug directly into the phone (without the adapter which I've already forgotten to have with me on two occasions) is a pain.
  22. truesepho macrumors regular

Sep 14, 2014
    I'm happy with my purchase (7+) BUT not as happy as I was when I upgraded from iPhone 6+ to 6s+... However, the new portrait mode might be a real game changer for me and make me love this phone more than any other iPhone :)
  23. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Mar 12, 2014
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Love my 7+. The home button change is one of my favorite features.
  24. RogerEast macrumors regular

Apr 14, 2015
    Jet Black 7 Plus.

Caseless. Love it. Great upgrade from the 6 Plus. No regrets.
  25. Kiimora macrumors 6502a

Sep 11, 2014
    London UK
    loving it , it isn't dark grey but the darkest shade of black . Am happy with my stealthy choice:D, coming from 6s+ rose gold though