Are You Happy With Your MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jonathanlaniado, May 13, 2012.

1. jonathanlaniado macrumors member

Do you have any regrets buying the Air?
    How is it playing games?
    Would you rather have bought the Pro?
    Is the Air too small and cheap?
    Do you feel like the Pro is too expensive compared to the Air?
    Are there any complains against the Air?
    Was the Air worth the price?
    Is the Air in any way better than the Pro?
    Is the Pro in any way better than the Air?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

2. jacob-07 macrumors regular

Absolutely no regrets with my air, i actually sold my mbp to get the air. The pro is better because it's more expandable than the air.

3. jojoba macrumors 68000

I'm totally happy with mine. It's an excellent machine. I don't play games, though.

4. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

1) Only regret is I bought the 64gb ssd,2gb ram version instead of the 128+4.
    But it's still a beast!
    2) No, air>>>pro
    3) No, it's awesomely small. If you mean cheap construction, no, it's by far the sturdiest, coolest, hottest laptop ever.
    4) The pro isn't expensive compared to the air, it's even cheaper. Depends on what you need, but I strongly suggest the air.
    5) My complain is the SSD capacity and gpu (it's good for games though).
    6) It was worth it
    7) It's smaller,thinner,lighter than the pro, it has a better screen resolution, it has an SSD which makes it faster in almost all cases.
    8) The pro has a dvd drive (which I don't give a s*** about, personally), has more ports (if you need them), and a better CPU (which I haven't needed yet).

The 13" pro isn't worth it, you better get the air.
    The 15" pro is another story, since it has a discrete GPU which is needed sometimes.

To be honest, the air can run games (LoL-WoW-WC3) without problems.
    The only time my air lags is when editing 10 megapixel photos with preview.

5. kaizer85 macrumors member

No Regrets love my 2011 11' 64GB MBA though only 64GB running two hard drives one 250GB for music and media and another for other import files plus time machine.. Also have a USB Hub :)

6. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

1) No regrets at all. Love it. Replaced an iMac with it.
    2) Not a gamer, so can't say.
    3) Not a power user, so I preferred the smaller form factor at the time.
    4) Definitely does not feel small and cheap to me. No quality issues here.
    5) I think the MBP is fairly priced for what it is capable of.
    6) No complaints to speak of.
    7) I think it was certainly worth the price.
    8) Form factor, portability, SSD by default
    9) Beefier specs, RAM upgradeable, can have discrete GPU

7. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

1. No regrets - very happy with my 13" i5 256GB MBA
    2. I don't play games
    3. No; I replaced a 2008 15" MBP and the MBA's much faster at everything, including Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro, VectorWorks, FileMaker Pro
    4. Excellent build quality. Personally I think the 13" MBA has a better "feel" than the 13" MBP.
    5. The 13" MBP is a good value if you are happy with the stock (slow) HD
    6. Not really.
    7. Seems like a really good value to me, since I wanted a machine with a SSD and that would have cost a lot more on a MBP.
    8. Size, speed of the SSD, "wow factor". :)
    9. Which MBP? The 13" would be the most comparable. Same graphics card, faster CPU, expandable RAM, firewire.

8. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    no
    dunno
    no
    no
    no
    no
    yes
    yes - portability, screen rez + speed
    yes - more grunt for 'heavy lifting'

it's horses for courses my friend.
    flip a coin if you can't decide any other way ;)

9. asb36 macrumors newbie

You'll love the Air if you're a mobile person that enjoys a simple light way laptop that has the PERFECT form factor. The current Pro do not have the wedge shape, so the sharp corners can cut into your wrist. It's also very, VERY bulky compared to the Air. I also enjoy the lightness of my Air.

I have the 13-inch and I don't regret it.

However, there are some STRANGE problems I'm having. Sometimes the Air overheats or just freezes when you download files or play videos on it. It's like if the disk activity gets high it crashes. It also happens when you load websites with video (flash) ads.

If you were to connect the Air to a thunderbold display (like my 27-inch one), you will have crashes all the time. It's simply not powerful enough to do all the things we wish it did or apple claims it can.

You'll have no luck gaming. It will get extremely hot and will freeze. I tried playing League of Legends and it is laggy with the lowest settings. Then it freezes.

However, if you want a laptop were you can do programming and surfe the web and listen to music and do all of those generic things, and you want a sexy design that is very mobile, this is your solution.

Also, it freezes sometimes for me when i have my iTunes open and sync content between my iPhone and Air.

I really hope that my unit is somehow defective because if this is how Apple releases products im super dissapointed.

10. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I haven't seen any of those issues. In fact, I haven't had a single crash since I bought mine about two months ago. The only time the fan kicks in is when I record/play for an extended period in GarageBand or Logic Pro. I'm sure I could also stress it with Final Cut Pro, but I don't use that much these days.

I am using one of the old 23" Apple Cinema Displays most of the time for a monitor. I found that if I run the MBA in "clamshell" mode with the screen closed, it will heat up and run the fans more often, so I leave it open all the time now.

11. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

1) Nope.
    2) Don't really game, but I've played a couple games from the App Store. Seemed great to me
    3) Nope. 13in MBP has a smaller screen resolution, which was the biggest turnoff
    4) The 13in is really good, but I'd say its chassis is too big. The 11in is a great size, but the screen is too small in my opinion. Both are of excellent quality and don't feel cheap at all
    5) I personally feel the whole pro line is overpriced, but the Pro should indeed be more expensive (but cannot be depending on configuration). Any extra cost can really be associated with its upgradeability, which is a nice feature in itself
    6) I have no complaints on my 13in 2011. I wish it had an HD camera, but that's not a deal breaker
    7) If you pick it up during the summer with an edu discount from Apple or Best Buy, I think it's a good price... especially when compared to the competition
    8) If the MBP doesn't have an SSD, then I'd take an MBA any day of the week. Plus the 13 has a higher resolution and is thinner and lighter. I'm not quite sure why anyone would go for an MBP, unless they really needed a DVD drive or to have more than 4GB of RAM
    9) Upgradeability and ports I guess would be its only upside. 13in MBP still doesn't have dedicated graphics, which is sad

12. Mikey-Mike macrumors member

Mikey-Mike

Have the Core 2 Duo 2.13 13" (Late '10)

Looking forward to the next model release.

Wouldn't even think of buying anything but an Air.

13. hamzab macrumors 6502

I Love my Air.

Fun Fact - I wasn't even going to buy an Air, I was waiting for the 15' MBP refresh with Ivy Bridge however I needed a Mac badly for Uni so I had to make a purchase and I was lucky enough to pick up a New MacBook air 13 i7 off Gumtree for £500!

So far so good, this thing is ultra quiet and so so light. It runs the games I play quite well for such a thin machine (UT2004 etc)

Applications load up extremely fast and I simply love it's portability. I'm glad I got this over the 13 MBP as although it has more ports, the Air has Thunderbolt which should have adapters soon and the screen is better with it's increased resolution.

For me I needed a mobile solution. I don't see myself playing games on this as I'm always at Uni/Starbucks with it doing notes/surfing etc. Games need a mouse, and a mouse requires space so I don't really game. When I get home, I game on my Xbox or my Hackintosh i7 beast.

Simply put, this machine is perfect.

14. glen e macrumors 68030

I am back for the first time in about a year on the road for couple months and the true benefit of the air comes out again. it is just a perfect machine when you travel. It is so Thin and is easy to set up and carry in my saddleback brief , and I have my complete home office with me at any time. I wouldn't trade it for any other machine.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't have any regrets.
    I don't don't play games on it.
    I have a MacBook Pro.
    It's not cheap and doesn't feel cheap.
    The MacBook Pro is a different market. It's priced accordingly.
    I have no complaints.
    It was worth the price.
    It's not better than the MacBook Pro because it's for a different market.
    Same response.

:D:D:D:D:D:D