Are you happy with your MacBook Pro Unibody purchase?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by AluminumMB, Mar 1, 2009.

1. AluminumMB macrumors regular

I spent about $2100 CAD for my MacBook Pro 2.4GHz base model.

Heres hoping it lasts a few years. I will upgrade it to 4GB sometime in the summer.

Are you happy with yours? I am but I wish it was cheaper!

The screen is great, I am getting used to the glossy and the resolution is higher than the MacBook. The backlit keyboard rocks too.

Although I do not require firewire, or really do any sort of music production or video editing work I still chose the MBP.

2. enochpeng macrumors regular

I'm very happy with mine! Best Mac I've ever had though i had to send it back for a replacement at the first place. and i live in Canada too everything is just more expensive here..

3. LinMac macrumors 65816

Yep, I love mine. I work in IT so the whole glossy vs. matte debate is purely aesthetics to me.

The construction feels very solid and overall the machine is about as good as it can get. There are a few nagging issues like the login/logout to switch video chips and 4GB ram limit when the chipset supports 8GB that need to be worked out though. I'm still happy with it in the end though.

4. AluminumMB thread starter macrumors regular

I get a slight flickering issue every now and then which some users have already reported. I may have to send it in too.

enochpeng: Why did you have to send it in for a replacement?

5. redchannel macrumors regular

redchannel

Yea, same here. I am very happy with my mac. Its the first mac i've ever owned and I am very pleased with it. I just wish it came in black. The only thing that bugs me is the feel of the trackpad. i wish it didn't feel so clicky. I think they could have done a better job on that. Thats the only thing that really makes me cringe.I work for AT&T so i got a pretty good deal with mine ;).

6. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

The way apple 'worked out' the 4 gig limit was to make a $3k laptop that supports 8 gigs and to encourage us to buy that one instead. I hope I'm wrong, but for that reason I don't think apple will release a firmware update that will allow 8 gigs to run on the 15's. That's why Apple cheaps out on the displays for its consumer portables like the iBook and Macbook; a smaller, but comparable quality screen in the MB would cut into sales of the MBP.

I hope apple will re-release the video driver update that will stop the cursor twitching and jumping when I've got my 2.4 uni MBP hooked up to an external mouse, keyboard and monitor.

7. Badradio macrumors 6502

I love mine - it's exceeded my expectations in all areas. The only pain was having to buy new firewire cables for all of my FW400 hardware.

8. nep61 macrumors 6502

Totally Satisfied

I bought the 17" MBP 2.93GHZ, Standard 4GB RAM, Faster HD. Also picked up a Sonnet Expresscard/34 with (2) FW800 ports and a few extra FW800 Cables.

I haven't really put the machine through its paces yet (FCP / Motion etc)... just getting it configured and installing a few Apps....

But, so far it's a thing of beauty...and I'm looking forward*to working with it for years to come. Was it expensive? Yeah. Do I wish it were 1/2 the price? Sure. Am I completely satisfied, and happy I bought it? Oh, yeah.

Short answer to the OP question.... YES !:cool:

9. HyperSnake macrumors member

You complain because everything in Canada is a bit more expensive in canada yet here in Denmark where Im from a base-model macbook pro costs us 14000DKK. Firing up measures app tells me that's 3040 CAD or 2400 USD. Now that is when to begin complaining!

10. woodynlily macrumors newbie

woodynlily

While not a professional, I upgraded to the 2.6 Unibody (with 512 Nvidia card and 4gb ram) from an '07 MacBook Pro 2.53 2gb ram.

It was an improvement, but I realized I don't do anything that requires the 512 video card so I figured I could get away with the MacBook Unibody 2.4 4gb.

Well I downgraded and have absolutely no regrets.

The Macbook 2.4 4gb is share many parts with the MacBook Pro, less card slot, marginally larger better screen (though I don't mind or notice much) and add a better video card (don't play the games or graphic intensive programs that merit this much horsepower), oh and firewire. For me, not worth the extra one thousand.

I'm currently trying to sort through a slew of duplicate photo's (9k that multiplied into 90k thanks to a windows migration). I also manage about 30k songs/podcast using iTunes and I find the MacBook is just as fast and capable as the Macbook Pro Unibody I downgraded from and far better than the MacBook Pro I upgraded from.

The Macbook Unibody will be more than enough for the average power user.
    I was happy but not enough to keep it. This is subjective of course.

11. AluminumMB thread starter macrumors regular

I couldn't stand the screen quality it was really poor on the macbook

12. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

I like mine for the most part. The backlight bleed along the edges and bottom are terrible and I haven't seen one in person that doesn't have it. I've also had a lot of problems with the airport dropping out, but I guess that's what happens when you put a wireless card inside a Faraday cage.

I'm leaning toward returning it because of those two reasons and for another one that I'm sure most people will laugh at me for. First I'll say that I really, really like Macs and use them, as well as Windows machines, but I really don't like how text is displayed in OS X. I always have this uneasy feeling looking at text in OS X, it's like it's fuzzy and badly dithered, to the point where I get text small enough parts of letters go missing. I know it's a personal thing, but I just can't get used to it.

Oh, and I've had problems with some CDs just not playing on the MBP that play fine on other devices, but it's not a deal-breaker by itself.

Aside from it all, I think the unibody MBP's design is incredible. I love the chiclet keys and the backlighted keyboard, which I use in the dark every day. I love the design, but I'm sure it'll be annoying when one part breaks and you have to replace either the entire lid or body.

...and yes, I realize bringing up the font issue on a Mac forum is a no-no and my opinion will be dismissed as ignorant, but I'm not typesetting so I can sacrifice font accuracy for not getting a headache from blurry text

13. AluminumMB thread starter macrumors regular

the new imacs are out...really tempting to pick that up instead

14. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I actually don't see much of an upgrade in the new iMacs... No CPU changes. The Nvidia integrated graphics in the low end 24" along with the 20" really SUCKS! I cannot believe Apple completely removed dedicated graphics from those. Seems like a big step backwards to me.

Gamers will have to buy the two high-end models. And even then, no discount and nearly same CPUs for 15 months on a NEW iMac. I just don't get it.

I guess the average consumer will see a 24" iMac for $1499 and cream their pants not realizing it has no dedicated graphics to drive the 24" display.

I would stick with the MBP if I were you. Portable and powerful. Much nicer all around features for $1999 vs the iMac, in my opinion.

15. blueicedj macrumors 6502

Most serious gamers will end up buying the high end computers. If you look at the PCs they buy some end up spending 3 grand on a computer, only to have to replace some parts a few months later to play the latest game.